Slipping Cessnas with full flaps.....

[ QUOTE ]
Normal landings are made power-off with any flap setting. Slips are prohibited (emphasis added) in full flap approaches because of downward pitch encountered under certain combinations of airspeed and sideslip angle."

[/ QUOTE ]Thanks, I never saw one before.

[/ QUOTE ]Remember, it also is only recommended that you not poke your finger in your eye.
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Although there's a difference. Poking you finger in your eye is dangerous. Slipping a 172 with a no-slip-with-flaps recommendation isn't. Do it all the time, especially in crosswinds.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure why you would want to do this. It is an unnecessary configuration change VERY low to the ground. It requires moving the flaps and retrimming the elevator, when all that is necessary is easing out of the slip and flare.

The beauty of a slip is not needing to retrim much in a go around. Ever try a go around in a Cessna with full flaps and full trim? I do not recommend this for entertainment!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure why I'd want to do it either...I'm pretty low time and haven't done tons of slips to land. I've asked a couple of instructors about it and they've said you can recover from the slip whenever you want before the flair and didn't see any problem with putting in flaps once you're out of the slip.

Why use full trim when landing? I usually don't readjust the trim after downwind (should I be?) A little forward pressure isn't something that bothers me. It also seems to me like another thing to worry about in a go around--though I don't know that i'd be that entertaining.

remember, the elevators create negative lift; the lift vector is downwards, therefore an elevator stall is characterized by a tail drop.

Fly Safe
confused.gif

It would be a nose drop because you no longer have the negaive lift of the elevator 'holding' the nose up.

That's also why you shouldn't use any more flaps than absouletely necessary on an iced up high wing... the airflow from the flaps can disrupt the tail surface flow and cause a tail stall; in which case the only way to recover is by pulling BACK on the yoke... totally counter intuitive from what you would normally do to recover from a stall.

[ QUOTE ]
It would be a nose drop because you no longer have the negaive lift of the elevator 'holding' the nose up.

You are absolutely right, the center of lift being aft of the center of weight, the elevators creating negative lift, the nose will drop if the elevator is stalled...
Brain fart I guess, thank you for correcting me.

Back