Forward slipping a swept wing, transport category jet

A-10 and the TF-34s had same vis-a-vis compressor stalls and being in the engine disturbance zone in nearly the slightest. More than once have guys been doing BFM/ACM and compressor stalled, sometimes unrecoverable and requiring shutdown.

Whatever happened to the engine upgrade plans for the A-10?

Toot-toot!

oops_pictures_154.jpg

Whatever happened to the engine upgrade plans for the A-10?

I was sitting in a pilot briefing at my squadron where the Wing pilots were being briefed by the CC of the AFRES/ANG Test Center about new engines for the A-10 being bought, paid for, and ready to install........

.......problem is, this briefing was back in the year 2000.

So, pardon my dim-witedness, but can someone explain why, on a swept wing design (think global or DC10, or B52!; something with an aggressive sweep) if you enter an aggressive, prolonged forward slip (full rudder) that it doesn't create a roll / over-the-top stall towards the trailing wing? In other words, once in the slip, the "forward" wing has an effective sweep of say, 0 degrees, with almost all chord-wise flow while the trailing wing now has an even larger sweep, with a whole lot more span-wise, non-lift-producing flow.

I was taught this was the reason you don't forward slip a swept wing jet and I haven't seen it brought up here. Just wondering if this was bunk reasoning. Where's tgrayson when you need him?

So, pardon my dim-witedness, but can someone explain why, on a swept wing design (think global or DC10, or B52!; something with an aggressive sweep) if you enter an aggressive, prolonged forward slip (full rudder) that it doesn't create a roll / over-the-top stall towards the trailing wing? In other words, once in the slip, the "forward" wing has an effective sweep of say, 0 degrees, with almost all chord-wise flow while the trailing wing now has an even larger sweep, with a whole lot more span-wise, non-lift-producing flow.

I was taught this was the reason you don't forward slip a swept wing jet and I haven't seen it brought up here. Just wondering if this was bunk reasoning. Where's tgrayson when you need him?

Obviously you have dihedral effect with a swept wing. So, it wants to roll with the direction of rudder push, and you offset it with aileron. Not a big issue. One thing that can lead to higher sink rates is if you get to the point where the aileron input leads to spoiler activation. This increases sink rates.

None of this is an aerodynamic issue, as the same happens on crosswind landings. The difference, however, is that on a crosswind landing you are (hopefully) on GS and not trying to lose a bunch of altitude, so the vertical path is controlled by the addition of power. If you are doing a forward slip, presumably you are trying to lose altitude, so you would be at idle power. Now you have a very high vertical descent rate with idle power. Not a good combination in a jet.

So, can it be done? Aerodynamically, yes, but the question is whether it's smart. If you are that high the go around is the better option, absent an emergency.

I was sitting in a pilot briefing at my squadron where the Wing pilots were being briefed by the CC of the AFRES/ANG Test Center about new engines for the A-10 being bought, paid for, and ready to install........

.......problem is, this briefing was back in the year 2000.

Just seems like with the C upgrade, it only makes sense to upgrade the Engines as well... so many advantages long term.

Just wondering if this was bunk reasoning. Where's tgrayson when you need him?

Tgray is around, just not on here lately.

As for the reasoning, while what you said is true, my response would be "so what?". How would that be an issue at all?

Seagull's post is backed up 100% by the applicable manuals. You would need opposite aileron in order to counteract the roll tendency from the upwind wing, but it's not a big deal as long as you're ready for it. Speaking for the 757 and 767, that rolling moment is benign and easily controlled without roll spoilers.

Tgray is around, just not on here lately.

As for the reasoning, while what you said is true, my response would be "so what?". How would that be an issue at all?
Seagull's post is backed up 100% by the applicable manuals. You would need opposite aileron in order to counteract the roll tendency from the upwind wing, but it's not a big deal as long as you're ready for it. Speaking for the 757 and 767, that rolling moment is benign and easily controlled without roll spoilers.

Yeah, it makes sense now. Thanks! It was one of those things that an instructor taught me long ago and it stuck before I really thought critically about it and years later it seemed like gospel; IF YOU SLIP WITH A SWEPT WING IT WILL STALL AND SPIN!! When in reality the effect is much less exaggerated and the application of aileron balances it out.

Just seems like with the C upgrade, it only makes sense to upgrade the Engines as well... so many advantages long term.

Somewhat, but not really. We've built our tactics around what we have. The new engines proposed were somewhat heavier, yet with negligible thrust benefit. Making the aircraft heavier won't necessarily help. What the fleet has, works, albeit with long-known limitations that have for the most part been accounted for.

Yeah, it makes sense now. Thanks! It was one of those things that an instructor taught me long ago and it stuck before I really thought critically about it and years later it seemed like gospel; IF YOU SLIP WITH A SWEPT WING IT WILL STALL AND SPIN!! When in reality the effect is much less exaggerated and the application of aileron balances it out.

I'm not a check airman or in any position to judge the way people fly (with my extensive experience of 250 hours of heavy time!), but one thing I've noticed is that some people treat big jets as if they're unlike anything they've ever flown before. Sure, it's big, but it's still an airplane. Houses get bigger, houses get smaller, all that. There are certainly things that can bite you in something big that wouldn't be as much of a factor in a smaller airplane, but I think a lot of the "Oh my god, don't do that in a jet!!!111" is overblown. This airplane flies like a big cuddly teddy bear.

Somewhat, but not really. We've built our tactics around what we have. The new engines proposed were somewhat heavier, yet with negligible thrust benefit. Making the aircraft heavier won't necessarily help. What the fleet has, works, albeit with long-known limitations that have for the most part been accounted for.

Ok... it just sounded like there were some useful benefits:

The flat-rated TF34-GE-101 doubles the hot day thrust output over current engines, eliminating take-off gross weight limitations that preclude today's A-10 from delivering its most powerful mission punch. Other -101 performance advantages include:
  • A significant reduction in takeoff distances during hot day conditions.
  • Improved high altitude performance.
  • 30% more acceleration capability and a 2X turn rate for improved maneuverability.
  • An approximate 3X time-to-climb improvement at full combat weight.
  • CONUS to European deployment in one-third the time - without tying up tanker assets and valuable manpower.
  • A positive "single engine rate of climb" safety margin at maximum gross takeoff weight.
By leveraging a $400-million GE investment for commercial engine development and a solid production base, the TF34-GE-101 can be procured on an affordable Commercial Off-The-Shelf (COTS) basis.
Maintenance costs (including spares, labor and overhaul) are projected to be less than one-fourth the cost of maintaining current engines. Coupled with a lower maximum thrust rating for robust, reliable operation, significant savings can be realized over the remaining life of the A-10 fleet.
A true force multiplier, the A-10 with TF34-GE-101 engines can offload the F-16 Block 40/50 aircraft from close-air support missions and free these valuable assets to perform other critical tasks

Of course those are advantages, yes. But wish list aside, we've had to cope with the reality of funding, or lack thereof. It's why i don't believe anything regards upgrades or new aircraft until they're sitting on the ramp, and hence why we've just continued to do the best with what we have. Engine upgrades have been in the wishlist of the A-10 for a few decades now, but systems upgrades and airframe modifications always trumped the engines. These days, one can't have the whole enchilada like days long ago. Kind of like that Christmas present thats just too far out of the realm of reality.

So that being the case, it came down to this:

takeoff distances

Lessen the fuel/ordnance load if takeoff factor is truly an issue, otherwise the normal bases we fly out of, it isn't. Unlike the '80s, we won't be operating out of dirt strips anymore likely.

high altitude performance

Not that the jet really operates that high to begin with.....medium altitude at best with the modern weapons (low altitude primarily before that); this would really be a factor for air refueling or XC's. On AR, a tanker tobbagan is accepted and expected; XC can suck up the extra time.

acceleration capability

A nice to have, but not really a need to have. We've been operating without this and still with excellent maneuverability and have been fine. Would I like to have it? Sure. But it's never been put high on the list.

time to climb

Another not need to have, nice to have yes. Jet flies fine with how we load it out, and rarely is it at full combat weight anyway.

deployment time

Nice to have in a pilot fatigue sense, but not need to have. We'd still need the same tanker per 4-ship, though we could likely substitute a KC-135 for a KC-10 possibly. Still, while it sounds good, this is more hype than major reality.

single engine rate of climb

Nice to have. Been here before. Again rarely at max gross, and even at fields where temp/PA show us with a slow climb rate, thats what the external jettison button and fuel flow override switches are for.

Hey, I see what you guys are doing there!

The A-10 isn't a swept wing, transport category jet!

Yet another thread turned into an off-topic military aircraft discussion. :)

Hey, I see what you guys are doing there!

The A-10 isn't a swept wing, transport category jet!

I want to say something snarky about the A-10, and Mike, and about how Mike's a hack, but I don't want him to forward slip a Mk. 84 into my house :)

Back