SKYW closing SAN/CRQ/SMF, Opening SFO CRJ, LAX EMB Bases

I am. And no it's not.

I have good friends over there and I know that is sucks but come on, you expect people to have sympathy for SKYW when they are the only regional who hasn't furloughed. All while acting like ASA is not their problem?

I have good friends over there and I know that is sucks but come on, you expect people to have sympathy for SKYW when they are the only regional who hasn't furloughed. All while acting like ASA is not their problem?

So no sympathy once pilots are on the streets? Is that where we're drawing the line? Crap on a few it's ok as long as no jobs are lost. lol, nice analogy buddy.

Pilots, our own worst enemy.

Knock on wood, Pinnacle hasn't furloughed yet.....

Along with that...there's 16 lines out of SAN and there is 19 lines out of LAX once it opens. Not sure about the SMF/SFO "transfer."

The way I'm reading it is they're creating more lines which means more pilots per base which equals more pilots being used which in turn means there's "less" of a risk for furloughs due to overstaffing.

Just my $.02...FWIW
16 Lines in SAN, 3 in SMF (EMB-120) = 19 LAX
20 Lines for SFO (CRJ)

So no sympathy once pilots are on the streets? Is that where we're drawing the line? Crap on a few it's ok as long as no jobs are lost. lol, nice analogy buddy.

Pilots, our own worst enemy.

I have sympathy for almost everyone but its tough when you are part of a company that is furloughing a group (ASA) and have the other group that is supposedly part of the same company say nothing about it then complain when they try to close a small base. Just seems kinda shallow. Ask one of the furloughed ASA guys if they really care if SAN or CRQ just closed.

I have sympathy for almost everyone but its tough when you are part of a company that is furloughing a group (ASA) and have the other group that is supposedly part of the same company say nothing about it then complain when they try to close a small base. Just seems kinda shallow. Ask one of the furloughed ASA guys if they really care if SAN or CRQ just closed.

Oh yeah, it's extremely shallow.

While I know not all of our SKW brother's and sister's are that shallow, it really doesn't help our pilot group's mutual relationship when we begin to see the writing on the wall.

I'm really biting my tongue on this one but you ASA "brothers" were on the chopping block with Delta back in 07' when we bailed you out and bought you. If it wasn't for us, your butts would have 30-40% furloughed. How long did it take to agree on a contract when we bought you guys? Months? You guys were going years and hitting a wall before us.

I'm really biting my tongue on this one but you ASA "brothers" were on the chopping block with Delta back in 07' when we bailed you out and bought you. If it wasn't for us, your butts would have 30-40% furloughed. How long did it take to agree on a contract when we bought you guys? Months? You guys were going years and hitting a wall before us.

That's like adopting a child and then reminding it for the rest of his/her life that they are lucky you adopted them... Sure SKYW bought them but it benefited both sides. I don't think Sky West did it out of the goodness of their hearts or to "save" the pilot group. Just more of the "we are somehow different over here at Sky West" attitude.

Just reminding these complainers where they'd be if the company they are happy to see fall, didn't step in and buy them.
Make no mistake about it, ASA was not worth nearly as much if SKYW had not bought them, here is why. Part of the agreement to buy ASA was that Delta would be bound by a solid contract to use ASA for said amount of feed for said amount of years. ONLY SKYW MGMT was able to negotiate this. Where is Comair? A completely different place. The two carriers were in the same position at that time. Compare them now. If it was not for that negotiated contract that skyw was able to negotiate, ASA would still be around, but far smaller than they are today.

I didn't want this to turn into a SKYW vs ASA thread, but some of these 1 year wonders that think they know everything there is to know about aviation because they spent 250 hours flying an RJ around ATL talk too much sometimes.

For the record, when I was part of the ALPA Organizing Committee at SKYW(and lost all opportunity to go further in my career at this company) I was the one who extended a hand to shake to our fellow ASA pilots. And when I say shake a hand, I mean literally. At the time ASA had opened a SLC base and Skywest pilots were getting defensive about it. Most did not like ASA and felt they were a threat to "our" flying(another discussion another time). While on a trip, in PSP, I see an ASA FO doing a walk around while going back to SLC. I walked over, introduced myself, and told him that there were a lot of guys at Skywest that were happy to see them as part of our company. I told him we hope we can get our two pilot groups to be one, so that we can form a good place to work at the two carriers. For what ever thats worth.

Keep in mind, I once read on a jumpseat somewhere that it takes 43 muscles to frown, and only 17 to smile.

Just reminding these complainers where they'd be if the company they are happy to see fall, didn't step in and buy them.
Make no mistake about it, ASA was not worth nearly as much if SKYW had not bought them, here is why. Part of the agreement to buy ASA was that Delta would be bound by a solid contract to use ASA for said amount of feed for said amount of years. ONLY SKYW MGMT was able to negotiate this. Where is Comair? A completely different place. The two carriers were in the same position at that time. Compare them now. If it was not for that negotiated contract that skyw was able to negotiate, ASA would still be around, but far smaller than they are today.

I didn't want this to turn into a SKYW vs ASA thread, but some of these 1 year wonders that think they know everything there is to know about aviation because they spent 250 hours flying an RJ around ATL talk too much sometimes.

For the record, when I was part of the ALPA Organizing Committee at SKYW(and lost all opportunity to go further in my career at this company) I was the one who extended a hand to shake to our fellow ASA pilots. And when I say shake a hand, I mean literally. At the time ASA had opened a SLC base and Skywest pilots were getting defensive about it. Most did not like ASA and felt they were a threat to "our" flying(another discussion another time). While on a trip, in PSP, I see an ASA FO doing a walk around while going back to SLC. I walked over, introduced myself, and told him that there were a lot of guys at Skywest that were happy to see them as part of our company. I told him we hope we can get our two pilot groups to be one, so that we can form a good place to work at the two carriers. For what ever thats worth.

Keep in mind, I once read on a jumpseat somewhere that it takes 43 muscles to frown, and only 17 to smile.

That's good of you and I hope that you are more part of the majority than the minority. We need more people like yourself who are willing to see through the BS grudges/jealousy/hatred that regional pilots are constantly exhibiting towards each other. It would have been nice to see a combined seniority list over at Sky West/ASA but without the majority wanting to unionize that could get pretty complicated.

Its never good to be displaced out of your home town and I do wish good luck to the SAN, CRQ, and SMF peeps at Sky West though. :pirate:

then you say,

We need more people like yourself who are willing to see through the BS grudges/jealousy/hatred that regional pilots are constantly exhibiting towards each other.

Just because ASA has it's own problems does not lessen the fact that it royally sucks for those losing their base on the other side of SKYW Inc.

And as an aside (not directed to you), I never understood why so many pilots act like they are their respective companies. YOU (frontline skywest employees) did not buy ASA, your company did. Same is true of 'ownership' of flying. If more people thought like that we'd avoid the whole 'YOU TOOK OUR FLYING' mentality... leading to dislike of other airline's pilots, leading to undercutting each other.

While it is true it takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile; when someone truly annoys you it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and bitch slap them upside the head!

Yes, SKYW saved us.

We would have been doomed without you.

*bows down* to Skywest and Uncle Jerry. :sarcasm:

Come on. . .gimme a break. We're all in this crap fight together, this is getting beyond ridiculous.

All I know is that there are some peers at both companies joyful that ASA is sending and has sent guys to the street. It's a sick cruel world where others get enjoyment out of seeing people kicked out of a job. Just amazing.

lol

You might want to evaluate who turned this into a SKYW vs. ASA thread.

I'm glad to see you're not like some of your spineless peers who couldn't care less about the profession.

Keep it up. Need more like you.

then you say...

Sorry E Dawg, I should have been a bit more clear. The last part of which you picked out was directed at the fact that he "extended a hand" to an ASA pilot and was part of the push for ALPA. There needs to be more of that at all airlines. "Extending a hand" when groups are down or going through tough times (The RAH Midwest Frontier fiasco, Comair, ASA, Mesa, Pinnacle/Colgan, XJT, insert almost any other regional here) works a bit better than most of the "I hope that airline fails so we get more flying" stuff getting spewed all over the interwebs message boards. About feeling sorry for the Sky West bases closing?? Sure a little but with a big portion of your sister airline or whatever you would call it furloughing and downgrading it just seems a little trivial in the whole scheme of things.

it just seems a little trivial in the whole scheme of things.

By that logic all we should ever think about are those in the most dire of human situations. Just taking it to the extreme, but really I don't think anybody here said a base closure is the worst thing to ever happen in the history of humanity ;)

I do agree with what you said, there should really be more solidarity. For one thing I'm so sick of hearing about when Mesa will go under. Guess what else hovers over a dieing entity, ready to take advantage... vultures. I don't want to see anybody go out of business and put people on the streets. I do however want to see better working conditions all around. :)

Surreal,

Why would anybody at ASA be happy that ASA is sending guys to the street? I'm being dead serious, not trying to flame.

Back