SkyLens Accepting Resumes for '16-'17 Season

UPDATE: I have stopped accepting resumes for the upcoming classes. I will be filling the last available seat by this evening. I had 61 resumes and about 40 of those were basically qualified, 16 very qualified for only 6 available seats. As always I had many similarly qualified applicants so it comes down to splitting hairs. I've heard from some that they had offers from other vendors so that is good to hear. I'll have 5 applications from pilots that had phone interviews that I will be leaving in a primary hiring pool in case there are any that do not make it to training for some reason. If you were not selected for this round, please do not be discouraged. Feel free to re-apply when you see me posting for pilots later on. Good pilots/employees eventually rise to the top. Many thanks to all who applied.

All seats are filled for the 2016 classes. Thanks to all who applied. I have your resumes on deck in case someone get's cold feet or washes out of training but I don't necessarily expect that. I always get the question "What was wrong with my resume" etc. I don't have time to submit a critical report of each applicant however I can say that a multi engine ticket with 40+ hours multi was a big factor this time. It's not a basic requirement for the job as everyone starts in the C172s but I like to hire pilots who can be moved into the Aztecs easily when necessary and had plenty of applicants that had those qualifications.

Thanks again, everybody,

Bryan

Congrats to all who are on the '16-'17 season team. You're gonna love it.
Have a great season BP.

I am past the cut off but still emailed my resume anyways. Congrats to those who made the cut, have fun!

- Frank Melendrez

Hey all,

What a great corporate culture going on here at SkyLens! I'm curious whether the work in Canada happened this year? I'm a Canadian pilot working on finishing off my CPL/FAA conversion with dual citizenship. I'm hoping/aiming to work for SkyLens one day. Would the summer be a possible start for a new pilot or do most new people start in the fall? I read somewhere May is the month to send in the resume for possible summer employment.

Thanks for your time.

Hey all,

What a great corporate culture going on here at SkyLens! I'm curious whether the work in Canada happened this year? I'm a Canadian pilot working on finishing off my CPL/FAA conversion with dual citizenship. I'm hoping/aiming to work for SkyLens one day. Would the summer be a possible start for a new pilot or do most new people start in the fall? I read somewhere May is the month to send in the resume for possible summer employment.

Thanks for your time.

http://www.firstbasesolutions.com/ I believe are the Canadian Pictometry operator and who you should probably look into first. There are a ton of survey companies in Canada although some might want more time and I'd suggest googling and finding them with your free time. I'd give these guys a look as well as a few others as the market up there might even be hotter than it is down here. That said you might be waiting until at least August to get hired on at Skylens as it is likely to be the best run Picto operation in the US and pretty highly sought after so perhaps you should look to take a job in the mean time like flying skydivers, instructing or sitting right seat to build time and make yourself more competitive. That said I wish you the best of luck!

http://www.firstbasesolutions.com/ I believe are the Canadian Pictometry operator and who you should probably look into first. There are a ton of survey companies in Canada although some might want more time and I'd suggest googling and finding them with your free time. I'd give these guys a look as well as a few others as the market up there might even be hotter than it is down here. That said you might be waiting until at least August to get hired on at Skylens as it is likely to be the best run Picto operation in the US and pretty highly sought after so perhaps you should look to take a job in the mean time like flying skydivers, instructing or sitting right seat to build time and make yourself more competitive. That said I wish you the best of luck!

Awesome! Thanks for the info. I've never heard of First Base; I'll be sure to look into them.

Hey all,

Thanks for your time.

I'm a Canadian citizen and US Resident who used to work for another Pictometry vendor. PM me if you need any tips on differences with CARs vs. FARs and US vs. Canadian Airspace differences. I too did the CPL/FAA conversion.

I believe Leading Edge also does Canadian picto work. They fly the 206 so it's all hp time.

They fly the 172 as well as the 206 so it's not all HP time. The 206 is basically used for the same kinds of projects the U.S. vendors use Aztecs for, primarily higher altitude projects. The also have a twin Cessna, I believe a 414, for some non-Pictometry work they do. I ran into two of their pilots in Fredericton last fall when we were all working on the NB project.

This might be a dumb question, but how stringent is the 172 10 hour minimum? I got my commercial, and instrument in pipers. I got my PPL in a 152. I don't think it would be a problem for me to rent a 172 a couple of times to meet the minimum.

This might be a dumb question, but how stringent is the 172 10 hour minimum? I got my commercial, and instrument in pipers. I got my PPL in a 152. I don't think it would be a problem for me to rent a 172 a couple of times to meet the minimum.
Not very as long as you have a commercial pilot rating

It is an insurance requirement. A new-hire would get a few hours of 172 time during training but you're going to need something close to the 10 hours.

"Minimum 250 hrs total time. 10 hrs C172."

Any idea if rotor time would ever count towards TT? I'm curious how a pilot would look if they had commercial SEL and MEL with instrument rating, but only 100 hours in Airplanes (with 3500 helicopter time and an ATP-R)?

Back