Sky crane Q

AAPalmTree

Watching a sky crane fight a wildfire in AZ. Is there a third pilot seat facing backward towards the water/cargo area?

The seat has a full set of controls with full function. The loadmaster position is a rated pilot in command. After the pilots position in close proximity of the load, they pass control of the aircraft to the loadmaster. When the load duties are completed, he passes back (or forward actually) the control of the aircraft for forward flight. At all times, the primary responsibility is to cut the load if it gets tangled, shifts, or otherwise causes problems for flight.

The seat has a full set of controls with full function. The loadmaster position is a rated pilot in command. After the pilots position in close proximity of the load, they pass control of the aircraft to the loadmaster. When the load duties are completed, he passes back (or forward actually) the control of the aircraft for forward flight. At all times, the primary responsibility is to cut the load if it gets tangled, shifts, or otherwise causes problems for flight.

That is totally and completely awesome. I did not know that.

I've been reading about that thing on Wikipedia all morning. Very interesting machine!

Is that mostly how the military did it or is that seat still commonly used? It seems like the civilian operators keep it empty most of the time. I would think a skilled longline pilot could do both duties.

@killbilly and @JMK, I should have added that this is the way I remember it being explained. I had the opportunity to ride in these at the start of my military career. I got to sit in the aft-facing seat watching a load lift. It was pretty cool!! I also had the pleasure of riding in the forward facing jump seat as well....very impressive machine.

As impressive as it was (and is) I HATED riding in the pod. I never got comfortable flying in that box!!!

That's amazing! I love this aviation stuff.

Is that mostly how the military did it or is that seat still commonly used? It seems like the civilian operators keep it empty most of the time. I would think a skilled longline pilot could do both duties.

Mostly military. Mostly empty in civilian ops. We have a number of Crane mechs in my agency.

Back