Skiles and Age 65+

Ok, I understand.
I've already comported myself to a world in which ostensibly "educated" folks are incapable of basic reading...
Next...

...and also, GOAPHAGFY!

Please tell me you aren’t in charge of anything in whatever workforce you’re in. Holy…

This will make me an ass, but I hope age 67 passes if simply so the new Instagram generation of pilots can feel for 2 yrs what we felt in 2007 for 5 yrs. And it still wouldn't be the same because there was no 2008-2010 GFC today - although things are heating up and getting kinda bad.

I have yet to see an insta model make a video on the negative aspect of aviation - like standing in the unemployment line, that first unemployment check or food stamps. Or the suicide of someone you knew when things got tough in aviation and they thought there was no other way out.

This will make me an ass, but I hope age 67 passes if simply so the new Instagram generation of pilots can feel for 2 yrs what we felt in 2007 for 5 yrs. And it still wouldn't be the same because there was no 2008-2010 GFC today - although things are heating up and getting kinda bad.

I have yet to see an insta model make a video on the negative aspect of aviation - like standing in the unemployment line, that first unemployment check or food stamps. Or the suicide of someone you knew when things got tough in aviation and they thought there was no other way out.

Good Lord dude.

I thought you didn't have social media?
A fairly well known FA on Instagram killed herself after making a post earlier this week.

Good job, you made me respond.

I thought you didn't have social media?
A fairly well known FA on Instagram killed herself after making a post earlier this week.

Good job, you made me respond.

I know. It made the news and I posted that in the Lav thread. Sad all around.

I don’t have SM accounts. I still see this stuff on YouTube and on pilot forums.

He may be trolling. But I remember people on here saying things like that in early to mid 2020 when it looked like there were going to be mass furloughs.

I never wished job losses on someone. That’s an entirely different thing - uncalled for. Wanting Age 67 to watch libs kids getting owned is not the same thing.

And it was mostly said in jest. I personally don’t think we need to increase the retirement age above 65.

Honestly I agree with him. The newest crop of aviators has experienced almost no adversity. Even the so-called Covid furloughs most were paid thanks to government cheese. An Envoy pilot in my circle was lamenting her "furlough" and I'm like, "if you got paid the whole time, it isn't a furlough".

Slowing the career progression a bit will actually help these people learn to cope when the gods of aviation misfortune start to flex their muscles again.

That said, I hope 67 doesn't happen.

Honestly I agree with him. The newest crop of aviators has experienced almost no adversity. Even the so-called Covid furloughs most were paid thanks to government cheese. An Envoy pilot in my circle was lamenting her "furlough" and I'm like, "if you got paid the whole time, it isn't a furlough".

But she had to experience the horror and shock of not knowing when her next flight will be, when the next time she can go to the airport is, and what to do with all this money she’s being paid to have to remain home….still being able to cover all bills, of course.

I never wished job losses on someone. That’s an entirely different thing - uncalled for. Wanting Age 67 to watch libs kids getting owned is not the same thing.

And it was mostly said in jest. I personally don’t think we need to increase the retirement age above 65.

3121D79E-5564-4D72-8FBC-AF2D046132BE.gif

Slowing the career progression a bit will actually help these people learn to cope when the gods of aviation misfortune start to flex their muscles again.

You know, I think it’s good for people to experience adversity, too. But I’d prefer for it to happen during their formative years instead of wishing it upon people who have families to provide for.

It's a highly cyclical industry and recessions usually happen every 7-10 years. Chances are she'll experience a furlough sooner or later even without age 67. And there will never be bailouts like we saw in 2020 ever again.

Plus, if she's still an Envoy when the next downturn hits, she'll have an excellent chance of getting Comaired.

He may be trolling. But I remember people on here saying things like that in early to mid 2020 when it looked like there were going to be mass furloughs.

Not directed at you, just responding because I think we agree. The whole concept of “I suffered, you should too” is maddening. Yes, there’s a large swath of young pilots who’ve gotten pretty lucky the last few years. They’ll get theirs, that’s just how this industry works. We sure don’t have to wish it upon them. And if they don’t experience any misfortune in their careers, good for them!

Even among the “lucky” there’s plenty that have humped crappy jobs for shady operators and only managed to survive by….well pure • luck.

It's a highly cyclical industry and recessions usually happen every 7-10 years. Chances are she'll experience a furlough sooner or later even without age 67. And there will never be bailouts like we saw in 2020 ever again.

Plus, if she's still an Envoy when the next downturn hits, she'll have an excellent chance of getting Comaired.

Envoy? Nah…

407B1C2B-A114-4491-A827-7599808CE1D2.jpeg

No idea what it's like to fly 121, or 91/135. I know what it's like to live for a long-time, though, and to carry both the joy and regret of choice.

I'm just gonna' say life is hard, whether you fly or fight fires or fill a cubicle in an office.

Dreams fail to come to fruition. Love sometimes isn't the forever we are promised. The job is ... well ... a job, and it sucks sometimes. The lawn has to be be mowed. Repairs need to be made. Kids are expensive as hell. The spouse or significant other isn't always "on-board" with the financial picture and needs that have to be addressed.

That's life.

You deal with it, either adapting and overcoming or swallowing a bunch of pills or the barrel of a gun.

No one gets, or is promised, anything beyond the common experience. We do what we can, or not.

Wow! If that's your argument, then I want to hear your "arguments" on every single new "advancement" in tech, biology, chemistry, etc, etc, etc. I also want to hear your analysis of how the Dodd/Frank Act proscriptions/prescriptions on Banking "changed" due to lobbying by, well, you know, people you had a vested interest in making it change.
EVERYTHING changes! ALL the time!
The ONLY proper way to craft or change a law is based SOLEY on NEW FACTUAL DISCOVERY and INTELLECTUAL CONSISTENCY. By your logic... Well, we never went to the moon before... So OBVIOUSLY, we never should have. Nobody 60 years ago signed up to go for the moon.

This is NOT a contractual issue, my friend. This is a competency issue.

And... as Forest Gump said, "Competency IS as competency DOES." (Okay, I'm paraphrasing...)
"Trust me", you don't. How much biochem and physics do you have? I've got a fair bit... just sayin'. One of the major reasons I appear to be such an ass.

Back