SJS epidemic to get worse?

The good thing is that we are scoped to where that plane will HAVE to be flown by mainline pilots. I assume it would be flown under our E-195 payrates which aren't all that terrible.

I doubt the 1000 will be in any US liveries. I think it's niche markets will be in europe and asia!

I think they're staying in one MegAirline's fleet plan until 2014. Hopefully, by then, Boeing will get it's crap together and produce a 100-seat aircraft.

"Look! It's another 737! But plastic! And the same cockpit so it'll share commonality with the -200's!"

Don't you remember what I told you when we all got together that night? The management that you're used to at other companies doesn't exist in this business. Airline managers aren't concerned about profits or building a successful business. They're only concerned about ego. The biggest ego boost they can get won't come from increasing profits. No, it will come from busting the mighty unions. They view unions as foes to be defeated. And when they're successful, it's a huge ego boost for them. If it costs the company billions and drives them into bankruptcy, then they're ok with that. So long as they feed their ego and beat us down, they're happy. People think I'm exaggerating about this stuff, but it's really the complete, honest truth.

If you REALLY think that all management cares about is busting the pilots union, then I daresay that YOU are the one with the ego problem. Management has a lot more problems on their plate than worrying about "breaking" a few pilots.

If you REALLY think that all management cares about is busting the pilots union, then I daresay that YOU are the one with the ego problem. Management has a lot more problems on their plate than worrying about "breaking" a few pilots.

Actually, some of the boneheaded moves management here at PCL have made since I've been here, I'd say his assessment is pretty fair. They spent $$$ penalties to NWA in canceled flights last year rather than work with the union on scheduling issues or come together on a contract. In fact, they spent more $$$ in those penalties than it would have cost to sign the contract for the next 5 years. Financially we were only apart $X, yet they wound up paying two to three times that amount to NWA b/c what we were asking was "unacceptable."

Kell, these guys will never believe it until they live under it themselves. Hell, 7 years ago I would have laughed at someone that said what I wrote above. It's really impossible to believe until you see it for yourself.

I also wouldn't be too worried about those at the top or middle of the majors out there who came straight in from the military.

They lack the insight that those who have actually had to work for some of these backward companies have.

Not a knock on them, it's just a fact.

If you don't have the insight about poor management, then of course you'll never believe it.

Or either those who have been involved in poor management decisions, yet they've gotten to a point in their career where they have been able to forget about those deicisons and will argue that management does no wrong ever til they're blue in the face.

One of those two avenues is my bet.

"Look! It's another 737! But plastic! And the same cockpit so it'll share commonality with the -200's!"

You know what they called the EMB-170's when they got on property as United Express?

"The guppy killer."

Guess what? United just parked their 737 fleet. Turns out they were right.

Also, the EMB-195's are a 122 seat aircraft, and can easily replace a 737. Boeing has really missed the mark on this aircraft size, and I think EMB is doing to dominate it.

We're doing MEM-COS now. I was like "Seriously? For real? They just gave us back MEM-DEN and now we're doing COS, too?"

Fuel that flight all the time. Think that's bad though? Skywest has a flight from COS-ATL. I pity whoever takes that flight.

You know what they called the EMB-170's when they got on property as United Express?

"The guppy killer."

Guess what? United just parked their 737 fleet. Turns out they were right.

Also, the EMB-195's are a 122 seat aircraft, and can easily replace a 737. Boeing has really missed the mark on this aircraft size, and I think EMB is doing to dominate it.

Embraer has done a market research and found a gap in aircarft size. The "80 to 110 seat aircraft" and they proved to be right. Embraer most likely (Never say never...) will not build anything bigger as not to compete directly with Boeing and Airbus, but it is possible that those two will build smaller planes to compete in the future.

Embraer's next move is an airframe to replace the C-130 Hercules, an awesome aircraft that, just like the Tomcat did( sniff, sniff ) is getting to costly to maintain. And since most countries in the world cannot afford the C-17, Embraer is now planning to deliver a military transport that could outperform the 130 and cost less... at least is what they want to do, and off course the US is not the market they intend to sell it to, but Africa, Asia and South America...

Bombardier has a very promising new airframe being developed, the C series. It will be great if it delivers what it promises... afterall the CRJ can climb to FL 410... and if they keep stretching that thing any further, yes it will most definetly be a disease!

afterall the CRJ can climb to FL 410... and if they keep stretching that thing any further, yes it will most definetly be a disease!

On paper. In reality, it's iffy. Never happen in the summer, and it's rare to have a load light enough to get up there anytime during the year and still respect the buffet margin charts.

I always thought the CRJ200 was a sharp looking airplane. Not so much with the 700 or 900. The 1000? Just looks wrong.

That's just backwards! The CRJ700 looks like a real airplane and the CRJ200 looks like a toy you give to one of your kids.

Fuel that flight all the time. Think that's bad though? Skywest has a flight from COS-ATL. I pity whoever takes that flight.

Skywest also does SLC-BNA, SLC-YYZ, and (ack! I hate this one) ORD-YEG (Edmonton). The last one hurts bad.

Back