Singapore Severe Turbulence

Bet they didn’t bust altitude :)

That being said, was holding short 22l in ewr, 757 on the roll on the Left, landing traffic on short final on the left. Suddenly a hawker pops out of the clouds between 22L/R, perfectly at 1000ft, not talking to anybody. Major tower pucker. They had been sent around of 19, hit Toga but never cycled nav, so the plugged along at runway heading, also botching the dep freq.

75 gets an immediate right turn, landing traffic waived with an immediate climbing left etc…

That one took a while to unscramble

It really is a problem how many times 19 go arounds screw something up. Usually they get the heading correct but they’ll immediately climb to 3000’ cause it’s the last altitude on the procedure but they skip the level off at 1500’ part. It’s just pure luck it’s always happened between EWR arrivals and not under one. Although it’s not nearly as common now that we use the RNAV Y approach instead of the ILS.

Yea, correction. I typed JNU when I meant ANC. It is real exciting when you're training in an aircraft that isn't realistic for ANC yet here you are in the Last Frontier preparing to circle.
Curious what type of airplane isn’t realistic for ANC? Just about everything shows up there, certainly everything that you’d be doing a sim check in

One of the many, many benefits of being retired is never having to transit KTEB again. KPWK when IFR is another won’t-miss…

(Actually both aren’t that tough once you figure them out, but still…)
I’ve always said I’ll consider it a win if I can retire without operating an airplane into TEB, ASE, or VNY.

Curious what type of airplane isn’t realistic for ANC? Just about everything shows up there, certainly everything that you’d be doing a sim check in

I finally got to PAFA during the daytime, and my first thought looking around the ramp was "what century did I just time travel to?". And then a DC-6 popped out of the clouds in a snow shower and landed, popping and roaring. It was awesome.

On the side of the sim, or nearby is the paperwork showing it meets the criteria for circling approaches if training/ exam occurs at JFK, MEM, or JNU. ASE or TEB is far more realistic in the 91/135 world but the paperwork for the sim and certifications require it to be one of those three airports.
I know lol - former HS-125 FSI PM :)

Attachments

• IMG_5506.jpeg
    IMG_5506.jpeg
    197.2 KB · Views: 29
I finally got to PAFA during the daytime, and my first thought looking around the ramp was "what century did I just time travel to?". And then a DC-6 popped out of the clouds in a snow shower and landed, popping and roaring. It was awesome.
I got my fill of working around old piston poppers a couple jobs ago, but damn, they sure are fun to watch. I could plop a lawn chair and a 6 pack at LHD, FAI, MRI, or even the float pond in JNU and just watch the classic bush stuff come and go all day. One day when I’m senior and the kids are out of the house and I’m bored imma go out to the hangars next to the 26/E intersection in spring and hold up score signs gymnastics style while the seasonal FNGs are doing their training crash and goes in the caravans etc

I’ve always said I’ll consider it a win if I can retire without operating an airplane into TEB, ASE, or VNY.
I’ve got all those and the stupid airports we fly the MAX into 😅

KTN with a big wind out of the south is the worst even in a 700.

Although if you’re going into TEB or VNY the hard part isn’t the airport, it’s your job…

I wonder and hope the frequency of severe turbulence incidents will put an end to the lap child option. I always cringe when I see this.

Back