Simple question regarding Vref and Vref + Factor

jtrain,

I never slowed the E145, 170, or the whale (well, the whale just won't do it in a timely fashion) below what I flew the rest of the approach at.

I always flew my "target" airspeed to the flare. Even into EYW at a high landing weight. Again, this is because the performance numbers are a system. The base performance number comes from Vref @ 50' on a calm day. I just happened to have my QRH sitting next to me, and there is a speed adjustment for 10 kts above our Vref.

With all the complex machinations for "legal" performance, you can derive your distance required. Obviously there can be gross performance parameter changes enroute, especially on long flights. Again, every operator is different, but we calculate our expected landing data on a wet runway prior to departure, degrading it as necessary.

This does bring up a point. Let's say you are headed into a performance limited field. You calculated your landing based on a wet runway, using your preferred flaps. Would it not be wise to grab some table, speed card, or where ever your onboard, unfactored landing distance is, add the variables that you intend to use and look at ACTUAL performance? That would be, in my mind good judgement. Do you need it landing on a 12k runway? Maybe not in dry, but if it's snowing to beat the band, it's windy, you might want to take a look prior to leaving cruise alt. How about being a good boy and burning way less fuel than you intended...a higher ref will be more critical to field length. Just some food for thought.

Driving onto a couple issues brought up. If you happen to fly a glass airplane with low-speed awarness, it is a very reasonable action to cross check your ref speed with the real time indications.

If there is an incident, your POI/APM or other FAA person will ask the company how to fix it so they might continue to make it towards the 20-year mark in their careers. The company might take the FAA's "suggestion" of what to change, thus making line pilots go "Derrr?"

Finally, aircraft don't mysteriously do things. Something happened. The cause may not be readily known or discovered, but there was a cause and action. After the 737s continued flying after repeated rudder-hardovers that made them dirt missiles, I can't say that an aircraft type is not close to the envelope. However, an isolated incident does not deserve a widow-maker moniker.

Whatever the autothrottles decide to give us at 50'. :crazy:

We fly it Vapr which is Vref plus a minimum of 5 knots. At Republic, we're Vref plus all the gust and half the wind, with a max. of 20 knots. The AT's start to retard about 30' on their own. If we have a high factor in there, we turn them off early to get her slowed down or we'll have to ask the tower for lower as we're floating down the runway.

Food for thought, on the 757 landing with flaps 25, at Vref the tail is twenty-four inches from the ground on touchdown. For every knot below Vref you loose two inches of tail clearance. So, if you touch down six knots below Vref your tail will only be one foot from hitting the ground. Vref+5 does just fine all the way till the wheels touch the ground.

be it Vref or Vref+ a bag of chips, my favorite is when its gusting to 30+ with x-wind and the guy tries to squeak it in. its even better when yer in the back just watching and shaking yer head as the TDZ zone markings swish on by. all I could here in my mind was Randy Jackson saying plant that s**t dog!

True, but I know at our airline, if the landing weight is, say 45,100 lbs, we set the speeds for 46,000. So you're already compensating right there.

Also, for every 250 lb guy on the plane, I'm betting there's a good chance of a 130 lb girl to offset his weight. Well, maybe not flying outta MSP. :)

Hey now......;)

Our manual at XJT says to fly the approach at Vref+5 and to cross the threshold at
approximately 50 ft. at a speed of vref with a tolerance of +5/-0 KIAS.

REF+5

REF is toooooo slow. By the time you're at the 1000 ft markers you're looking at REF-10 or REF-15.

DANGEROUSLY slow.

Funny you mention that. Bob C was talking about getting the Saab profiles changed. The idea being you should cross the threshhold at ref touching down at about ref -5 or so. Read the conditions the Saab performance data is based on for landings...

When Bombardier calculated landing data numbers they added a factor of about 15 percent. We fly our approaches at ref+5 the whole way down because that's how our landing data has been calculated. The 15 percent takes the +5 into account.

REF+5

REF is toooooo slow. By the time you're at the 1000 ft markers you're looking at REF-10 or REF-15.

DANGEROUSLY slow.
*drums fingers*
Only if you chop and drop. If you don't like how slow you are going bring the power up a little more.

I'm really not understanding how anyone can say Vref is dangerously slow given how the number is calculated by manufactuers.

If Vref is dangerously slow, what is Vso? Insanely Slow?

I'm really not understanding how anyone can say Vref is dangerously slow given how the number is calculated by manufactuers.

If the winds are gusty enough to cause you to increase approach speed by some factor, crossing the threshold precisely at ref can be a little dodgy. If you've got a 20kt gust at 200ft that drops out as you cross the threshold 50'AGL at Vref, you're going to lose a *lot* of airspeed at an inopportune time. Had you crossed the threshold at Vref + 10kts for the gusts, you'd be in a lot better situation.

This mindset is a leading factor in turbojet overrun incidents

I would argue that crossing the threshold 5kts fast isn't a factor in most overrun incidents. I think that a normal speed increase of 5kts is pretty negligible in the grand scheme of things, as long as the pilot is aware of it and sticks to it.

I guess I'm not quite sure which overruns were due to flying approaches at Vref + factor. The notable ones I can think of are: 1) Southwest in Burbank (touched down 45kts fast, not at Vref+5); 2) Southwest in MDW (environmental conditions/delayed use of thrust reversers); 3) Pinnacle in TVC (I guess they could have been a little fast, but the NTSB says that landing distance calculations would have showed them with too little runway); 4) Shuttle in CLE (lots of issues there, a fast approach speed might have been a factor but it definately wasn't "leading").

I think that flying un-stabilized approaches, touching down at Ref+a buttload, and not running the numbers for short, contaminated runways are some of the leading factors in overruns. If you can keep your airspeed pegged at Vref on a day gusty enough to require an increase, you're a much better pilot than me.

Fine, leading. . .wrong word.

There is little debate within the NTSB, and obviously the FAA (thanks to AC 91-79) that excess airspeed is a contributing factor in turbojet overruns.

With that being said, I agree that in certain situations such as gusty winds maintaining a safe airspeed is clearly important but so is touching down in the TDZ as opposed to floating it 7/10th of the way down the runway.

I'd like to emphasize this isn't about being a "better pilot," than your peers. It's about being a safe professional and flying standard. That's all.

I'm not sure how you guys do it at ASA, but we fly Ref+5 the entire approach (unless the gust factor is higher), that's the airspeed at which Bombardier calculated landing data.

Our procedure is Vref+5 for the approach until the last 1/4 mile, then managing airspeed to cross 50ft at Vref. Not really debating company procedures or individual technique. Not unless we want to drift off from the intent to fly the plane safely and professionally. Not trying to MMQ any incident or accident either. But, if the FAA didn't think people were flying planes without a due regard to effective speed management I don't see why they would have published AC 91-79. Figured since we have been lacking any respectable technical threads here in the Airline Pilot section that this would have been a great opportunity to dig deep into what we all have been doing.

I've heard numerous Captains over the past few months referring to crossing the fence (50ft) at Vref+5 (I understand Ref +5/-0 deal. . .no worries there)

After I read 91-79 a few weeks back I managed to print a copy out as well as take a closer look at our procedures and realized that I myself have been trained incorrectly. We were "Trained" in the box to fly Ref+5 all the way down to 50ft where we reduce the throttles to idle.

I make an effort now to discuss this with Captains following an approach brief where they indicate we will be crossing the fence at Ref+5.

Maybe I'm just anal, but I don't feel the need to go off the end. *shrug* I just think by emphasizing Vref at 50ft it makes an effort to remind people that too much excess speed can have significant impacts when operating into smaller fields. That's all.

Back