shuttle coming in over LA today (maybe)

An answer to this please:

So let me get this straight:

1/4 penny per person = $.0025/person.

Population = 300,000,000 (for rounding purposes).

So NASA's budget is = 300,000,000 x $.0025 = $750,000?????

Seems kinda low to me.

Simple Math is brought to you by, the Space Shuttle.

-mini

Microwave? Throw it out.

Microwave oven's (or the concept) were discovered by Raytheon during World War II, by some brilliant radar engineer, who happened to set a candy bar next to the magnetron while it was powered. So, unless you want to show me how NASA invented the microwave more than 20 years after Rayethon had a patent, I think you need to come back with some better facts.

Microwave? Throw it out.
The microwave was invented by Dr. Percy Spencer in 1946 while he worked on radar systems, not for NASA or the space program.

The media is what's polluting your thought process. Shuttle lands at Edwards, they make it out to be a million-dollar ferry operation to get it back to KSC. NOPE. Already part of the flight-cost: is assumed they'll need to ferry it, only a bonus if they land in Florida.
If the media would share the amazing discoveries and medical advancements being made on the ISS and through the shuttle-program, maybe you wouldn't appear to have your head shoved so far up.

Me thinks the media has no dog in the fight to save NASA and maybe NASA should be doing a better job marketing itself. Let the public know what good is being done. I, for one, have no clue what the ISS is even doing for humanity.

If your grandmother needs a heart pump, well I guess she can't get it according to you; after all those have only been perfected through the design of the space shuttle main engine turbo-pumps.

My limited research shows this:

In 1949, a precursor to the modern artificial heart pump was built by Drs. William Sewell and William Glenn of the Yale School of Medicine using an Erector Set, assorted odds and ends, and dime store toys. The external pump successfully bypassed the heart of a dog for more than an hour.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_heart#cite_note-10

You guys are really really DENSE.... READ THE FOLLOWING:
(and by the way.. this is an article from the UK- not the US, even they are thankful for NASA, at least someone out there is thankful for them, and by the way.. this is a SMALL LIST, just google for the rest and educate yourself before you open your mouth)

-link at the bottom of the page....

WHAT HAS NASA DONE FOR US:
HE National Aeronautics And Space Administration (Nasa) began 50 years ago today.

In that time it has celebrated some historic highs and some tragic lows.
It put the first men on the moon, won the space race with the USSR during the Cold War – but lost 17 astronauts in three missions which ended in disaster.
The incredible rescue of Apollo 13 gave us the now familiar phrase: “Houston, we have a problem.”
Since October 1, 1958, Houston has solved countless problems, not just in space but here on Earth. Contrary to popular belief, Nasa did NOT invent barcodes, quartz clocks, smoke detectors, Teflon or Velcro.
But most of us have reason every day to thank Nasa for giant leaps in technology which we tend to take for granted. Here are 25 of them:
1. SATELLITE TELEVISION: Our world would not be the same without the satellites now in orbit around the Earth – all thanks to the space programme. They not only give us satellite broadcast television and radio but also power telecommunications including mobile phones and terrestrial TV networks.
2. SAT NAV: The global positioning system on which our in-car navigation systems are based was developed by the US Department of Defense. They would not exist without the space satellites.
3. GOOGLE EARTH: Mapping was never as accurate as the images we can now get thanks to satellites which from space can even see a dog in your back garden.
4. VIRTUAL REALITY: Nasa-developed research and advanced technology devices allow users to project themselves into a computer-generated environment. When coupled with a stereo-viewing device and appropriate software, it creates a feeling of actually being there.
5. ARTIFICIAL LIMBS: Prosthetic limbs are not new but advancements in space robotics are being adapted to create more lifelike, functioning limbs.
6. DIALYSIS: Modern machines to do the work of the kidneys – for patients waiting for or unable to have transplants – were developed as a result of a Nasa-developed chemical process.
7. MRI AND CAT SCANS: Nasa did not invent magnetic resonance imaging but it has contributed to major advances thanks to research into computer enhancement of pictures sent from the moon. Digital image processing has led to enhanced images of human organs.
8. BREAST CANCER SCREENING: A silicon chip originally developed for Nasa’s Hubble Space Telescope makes the testing process less painful, less scarring and less expensive than traditional biopsy methods.
SNF01SPDB_380_602356a.jpg
Heroes ... Neil Armstrong, Michael Collins and Edwin 'Buzz' Aldrin

9. ULTRASOUND TO ASSESS SKIN DAMAGE: An advanced instrument uses ultrasound technology to assess the depth of burn damage immediately, improving patient treatment and saving lives in serious burn cases.
10. EAR THERMOMETER: Removing the need to use intrusive, mercury-based thermometers on newborn babies and critically ill patients, the ear thermometer uses infrared astronomy technology to measure the amount of energy emitted by the eardrum. This is how Nasa measures the temperature of stars and planets.
11. ATTENTION GETTER: Techniques used to measure brain activity in Nasa pilots are being used to improve attention spans for children with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.

<!-- null --> <script type="text/javascript"> //Retrieve Blue Lithium & Bull frog Cookie Value var blueLithium = "No"; blueLithium = get_cookie("BL")==null?"No":get_cookie("BL"); </script> <!-- Modified key value pair for tiles --> <script type="text/javascript"> var RStag = ""; try{ RStag = segQS; } catch(e){ RStag = ""; } document.write('<script type="text/javascript" src="http://ad.uk.doubleclick.net/adj/news.thesun.co.uk/mainhomepage;pos=mpu;sz=300x250;cat=null;'+RStag+'tile=2;bl='+blueLithium+';yahoo='+yahoo+';ord='+randnum+'?"><\/script>'); </script><script type="text/javascript" src="http://ad.uk.doubleclick.net/adj/news.thesun.co.uk/mainhomepage;pos=mpu;sz=300x250;cat=null;tile=2;bl=No;yahoo=no;ord=1252985114729?"></script><!-- BEGIN STANDARD TAG - 300 x 250 - ROS: Sun Run-of-site - DO NOT MODIFY --> <script type="text/javascript" src="http://ad.adsnewsint.com/st?ad_type=ad&ad_size=300x250&section=593026&pub_redirect_unencoded=1&pub_redirect=http://ad.uk.doubleclick.net/click%3Bh=v8/38a9/3/0/%2a/z%3B217457354%3B0-0%3B2%3B23141461%3B4307-300/250%3B31807402/31825278/1%3B%3B%7Eaopt%3D2/1/ce/0%3B%7Esscs%3D%3f"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="http://ad.adsnewsint.com/imp?Z=300x250&x=http%3A%2F%2Fad%2Euk%2Edoubleclick%2Enet%2Fclick%253Bh%3Dv8%2F38a9%2F3%2F0%2F%252a%2Fz%253B217457354%253B0%2D0%253B2%253B23141461%253B4307%2D300%2F250%253B31807402%2F31825278%2F1%253B%253B%257Eaopt%253D2%2F1%2Fce%2F0%253B%257Esscs%253D%253f$&s=593026&_salt=3081671012&X=2405288&B=10&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thesun.co.uk%2Fsol%2Fhomepage%2Fnews%2Farticle1752963.ece&r=1"></script>
q.gif
<!-- END TAG --> <noscript> http://ad.uk.doubleclick.net/adj/ne...x250;cat=null;tile=2;bl=No;ord=1252985116034? </noscript> <!--SECTION:parameter parameter="dart.server" /-->
12. ROAD SAFETY: The cutting of grooves in concrete to increase traction was developed to reduce space shuttle accidents on runways. It is now applied to roads and has cut US traffic accidents by 85 per cent.
13. IMPROVED RADIAL TYRES: Goodyear developed a fibrous material five times stronger than steel for Nasa to use in parachutes to land the Viking explorers on Mars. They expanded the technology to produce a harder-wearing radial car tyre.
14. LANDMINE REMOVAL: Surplus rocket fuel is used for a flare that can burn a hole in the case of a mine and burn away its explosive content.
15. STRUCTURAL ANALYSIS: Nasa software engineers have created thousands of computer programs to find imperfections in aerospace structures and components which has proved invaluable in air safety.
16. WATER FILTERS: Water-cleaning technology has existed since the early Fifties but Nasa came up with ways to filter it in more extreme situations. The activated charcoal with silver ions used in commercial filter systems cleans the water and kills bacteria.
17. FREEZE-DRIED FOOD: Nasa carried out extensive research to reduce the weight of food to be carried on missions. The result was a method for cooking food, freezing it quickly, then slowly heating it in a vacuum chamber to remove the ice crystals. The end product weighs one fifth of the original, while retaining 98 per cent of its nutrition.
18. TEMPER FOAM: Nasa developed a soft, high-energy-absorbent padding to improve crash protection in aircraft. Now “memory foam” is used in mattresses, pillows, military and civilian vehicles, sports safety equipment, amusement park rides, furniture and artificial limbs.
19. SCRATCH-RESISTANT LENSES: A modified version of a process developed by Nasa involves coating the lenses with a film of carbon that helps avoid scratches and decreases friction and reduces water spots.
20. RIBBED SWIMSUITS: The swimsuit worn by Olympic sensation Michael Phelps was developed with Nasa technology. Aerodynamic research came up with material which give 15 per cent faster speeds than any other swimsuit thanks to small, barely visible grooves that reduce friction and drag.
21. AERODYNAMIC GOLF BALLS: Technology is behind the design of golf balls with 500 dimples in a pattern of 60 triangles which allows the ball to maintain its initial speed longer and produce a more stable flight for better accuracy and distance.
22. ATHLETIC SHOES: Moon-boot material has been incorporated into running shoe midsoles to improve shock absorption and provide better stability and motion control.
23. PERSONAL ALARM SYSTEMS: A pen-sized ultrasonic transmitter used by prison guards, teachers, the elderly and disabled to call for help is based on space technology.
24. SPACE PENS: Most pens depend on gravity to make the ink flow to the ballpoint. The space pen was developed for the gravity-free space environment so that the ink cartridge contains pressurised gas to push the ink towards the ballpoint, so you can write upside down.
25. CORDLESS POWER TOOLS: The household and DIY products firm Black & Decker came up with a portable drill capable of extracting core samples from below the lunar surface during the Apollo missions. The same technology has been used on cordless miniature vacuum cleaners.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1752963.ece

1. SATELLITE TELEVISION: Our world would not be the same without the satellites now in orbit around the Earth – all thanks to the space programme. They not only give us satellite broadcast television and radio but also power telecommunications including mobile phones and terrestrial TV networks.
Could have sworn the Soviet's beat us up there with a satellite. So, shouldn't they get credit for 1, and thus 2 and 3?

17. FREEZE-DRIED FOOD: Nasa carried out extensive research to reduce the weight of food to be carried on missions. The result was a method for cooking food, freezing it quickly, then slowly heating it in a vacuum chamber to remove the ice crystals. The end product weighs one fifth of the original, while retaining 98 per cent of its nutrition.

We'd all die without it. Its such an amazing product, that yet today, we have shortages of it.

24. SPACE PENS: Most pens depend on gravity to make the ink flow to the ballpoint. The space pen was developed for the gravity-free space environment so that the ink cartridge contains pressurised gas to push the ink towards the ballpoint, so you can write upside down.
Yup, couldn't think of a way to write without a functional pen. Because we all know that pencil's wouldn't have worked either.

Its funny when you think about it. The America's spend so much money doing things that we thought would help, whereas the Soviet's/Russian's find ways to make things work, no matter what it is. If we were a little more like the RSA, NASA probably could do much more on the same budget.

...and no one plays a golfball with 500 dimples. More like 330-420 at the most.

...and we've been playing dimpled golf balls since 1910. Actually I think it was 1907 or 1905, but 1910 is close enough.

If the shuttle program is so fantastic, why are we replacing it?

Let's send someone to the moon or to Mars. Let's do something cool. All of these trips to the ISS to attach a module or to Hubble to change a battery or mirror or solar panel, IMO not worth that huge of a waste of money. Take the tax dollars and put them in to edumication.

-mini

That's about right. "Believe what I say or I'll attempt to insult you."

Are you incapable of doing the simple math problem asked above or are you just ignoring it hoping it will get lost in your poo-flinging?

-mini

I'd agree. We were attempting to have a legitimate discussion on the whole space program, til you decided that its your way, or the highway. Discussions tend not to last long after someone reaches that point, and they often turn to insults and name calling.

I'd agree. We were attempting to have a legitimate discussion on the whole space program, til you decided that its your way, or the highway. Discussions tend not to last long after someone reaches that point, and they often turn to insults and name calling.
I didn't say it was my way or the highway. I'd like to see both sides, but I'm just not willing to read posts that start off by insulting me and then continue on to contain questionable "statements". I can entertain myself in other, more fun ways.

I think the space program is wonderful, but I think they waste a lot of money. I'm not saying no space program, but I am saying that I don't think we've gotten enough out of it for the money spent on it. I'd rather see that money spent on education or defense, since I don't see us getting much out of it other than pictures and a big floating campsite up in orbit. Pictures of Jupiter and 97 moons really don't impress me.

-mini

I didn't say it was my way or the highway. I'd like to see both sides, but I'm just not willing to read posts that start off by insulting me and then continue on to contain questionable facts. I can entertain myself in other, more fun ways.

I think the space program is wonderful, but I think they waste a lot of money. I'm not saying no space program, but I am saying that I don't think we've gotten enough out of it for the money spent on it. I'd rather see that money spent on education or defense, since I don't see us getting much out of it other than pictures and a big floating campsite up in orbit. Pictures of Jupiter and 97 moons really don't impress me.

-mini

No, I meant it was SlotPilot's way, or the highway. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I agree with you. I'd rather have the money spent somewhere useful, or spend it towards paying down some debt.

My fault, I saw the quote and associated it with me. Beers on me (if someone can pry the money out of my clenched fists).

-mini
There's no such thing as "questionable facts"
that's an oxymoron.

< personal attack removed >
I'm sure 1000 years ago you'd have gone to your grave swearing the world was flat.
A couple extra pennies/year from each American will not break the bank - it might just enhance all of our lives more than you can even imagine.

There's no such thing as "questionable facts"
that's an oxymoron.

< personal attack removed >
I'm sure 1000 years ago you'd have gone to your grave swearing the world was flat.
A couple extra pennies/year from each American will not break the bank - it might just enhance all of our lives more than you can even imagine.
You know common misconception, but most people around the time of Columbus pretty much new the earth was round. Not sure about Medieval times though. I would suspect the same.

Ok on a more serious note you really need to tone it down a bit. Any point you may have had has pretty much been mootified by your fanboi attitude. Why are you taking it so personal? It's just NASA..i din't think they would be around to long. Hell I long ago concluded that I won't ever be captain of a NASA starship. Always figured it would be a commercially operated vessel. The registered starship (RSS) T. Boone Pickens, or the RSS Time-Warner

Back