shuttle coming in over LA today (maybe)

Pictures. We get pictures from Hubble.

-mini

So, those pictures are worth over $150 billion? They're cool, but I can think of much better ways we could have spent that money.

And, don't take this as me saying we don't need NASA. Its a great program, but at some point, you've got to be gracious with the money you have, and stop complaining. I can't wait for a new launch system, but I feel we are going about it the wrong way.

Ok, OK...... and I guess NASA has nothing to do with EDUCATION OR DOD departments. ??????????????????????

Im officially DONE with this thread before I start kicking heads.... and I wont even check back to read, so if you need something... PM me instead.

.......OUT

Why all the animosity? Why not take the time to explain your viewpoint?

How is funding space exploration not a waste of money. What exactly have we gained from the manned space program since, say 1990? Other than we proved that we can build a big building up in space, nothing. If you want to put money in the space program, put it in unmanned equipment. More research has been done with probes than with people in space.

500 years ago, if you'd have had your way, an exploration ship sailing off to the ends of the world that either never came back, or came back with "not enough" would've caused you to say "enough" and quit exploring our surroundings.
When you go for a hike, aren't you the least bit curious what's around the next corner? Or for a drive, aren't you ever curious and just enjoy driving around a new area? That's a total waste of fuel, but isn't the 'inner-explorer' in you the least bit curious?
Space is the next frontier - aren't you curious what it's like to live in space? To travel to another planet? To see the Earth rise? If you answer those "no" or "I can read about it and look at pictures online" then, my friend, there is simply no hope for you, No hope.

500 years ago, if you'd have had your way, an exploration ship sailing off to the ends of the world that either never came back, or came back with "not enough" would've caused you to say "enough" and quit exploring our surroundings.
When you go for a hike, aren't you the least bit curious what's around the next corner? Or for a drive, aren't you ever curious and just enjoy driving around a new area? That's a total waste of fuel, but isn't the 'inner-explorer' in you the least bit curious?
Space is the next frontier - aren't you curious what it's like to live in space? To travel to another planet? To see the Earth rise? If you answer those "no" or "I can read about it and look at pictures online" then, my friend, there is simply no hope for you, No hope.

I'd like to know what space is all about, but at some point, the ROI gets so high, that it truely isn't worth it, in my opinion. Go look at SpaceX, and see how much cheaper they are able to put a small satellite in orbit now. I'm all for space exploration, but the government isn't the best way to do it (just like healthcare, and various other things). There is always going to be too much waste with government run spending programs.

To be honest with you, if I want to know what something is about, I don't aimlessly wonder around, wasting time. If I want to know what's over on that side of the mountain, I either looked it up ahead of time, or I don't care what's there.

Tax dollars WASTED?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
:confused: :mad:
You obviously have NO idea how invaluable America's Space Program is to our everyday lives, our future, and our technological dominance in the world.
You know how many tax dollars go from each American to the Space Program?? Any idea?? huh??
Yeah. Didn't think so. About 1/4 of a PENNY per person.
No tax dollars are WASTED.

So let me get this straight:

1/4 penny per person = $.0025/person.

Population = 300,000,000 (for rounding purposes).

So NASA's budget is = 300,000,000 x $.0025 = $750,000?????

Seems kinda low to me.

Seems kinda low to me.

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

We won't have facts here.

-mini

Sounds like to me, we've got a bunch of people who just like to things go up to space, regardless of the cost. I'm all for space exploration, but at some point, we have to sit down and say, is it really worth the government cost, or can private enterprise do it better. And, within 5 years, I believe that private enterprise will be at a point, that is will be more cost effective for private enterprise to put people in space.

Sounds like to me, we've got a bunch of people who just like to things go up to space, regardless of the cost. I'm all for space exploration, but at some point, we have to sit down and say, is it really worth the government cost, or can private enterprise do it better. And, within 5 years, I believe that private enterprise will be at a point, that is will be more cost effective for private enterprise to put people in space.
Agreed 100%!

-mini

Agreed 100%!

-mini

Even if the "only" thing we got from NASA was "pretty pictures" (please - get a life)
If that doesn't send shivvers up your spine, there's seriously something wrong w/you. Try a doctor - please, at the very least.

If your grandmother needs a heart pump, well I guess she can't get it according to you; after all those have only been perfected through the design of the space shuttle main engine turbo-pumps.
Tire designs on your car to prevent you from hydro-planing? Nope.. can't have those either.

Microwave? Throw it out.
Scratchproof sunglasses - toss'em.

Again like I said, a part of me really hopes NASA is shut down to just show you what a loss it is; you only see the launches and landings and buy into the CNN-fed CRAP of MONEY.
The media is what's polluting your thought process. Shuttle lands at Edwards, they make it out to be a million-dollar ferry operation to get it back to KSC. NOPE. Already part of the flight-cost: is assumed they'll need to ferry it, only a bonus if they land in Florida.
If the media would share the amazing discoveries and medical advancements being made on the ISS and through the shuttle-program, maybe you wouldn't appear to have your head shoved so far up.

Even if the "only" thing we got from NASA was "pretty pictures" (please - get a life)
See, I stopped reading there so the rest of what you wrote just never saw my eyes.

So as they say on Family Guy...
familyguy01.jpg

...Go Tuck Yourself In.

I bet you thought I was going to get nasty like you. Silly 'ole bear...

It's your delivery. It just shuts everything off. I wouldn't know if it's the content, because I just don't read it with the way you present it.

-mini

If that doesn't send shivvers up your spine, there's seriously something wrong w/you. Try a doctor - please, at the very least.

If your grandmother needs a heart pump, well I guess she can't get it according to you; after all those have only been perfected through the design of the space shuttle main engine turbo-pumps.
Tire designs on your car to prevent you from hydro-planing? Nope.. can't have those either.

Microwave? Throw it out.

Again like I said, a part of me really hopes NASA is shut down to just show you what a loss it is; you only see the launches and landings and buy into the CNN-fed CRAP of MONEY.
The media is what's polluting your thought process. Shuttle lands at Edwards, they make it out to be a million-dollar ferry operation to get it back to KSC. NOPE. Already part of the flight-cost: is assumed they'll need to ferry it, only a bonus if they land in Florida.
If the media would share the amazing discoveries and medical advancements being made on the ISS and through the shuttle-program, maybe you wouldn't appear to have your head shoved so far up.

You don't get it. Never will, apparently. It doesn't appear either one of us had specifically said that human spaceflight is a waste. NASA wastes money, like any government agency. Its time to move from government operation of space exploration, to private (but regulated) exploration of space. Even if it ends up being subsidized to an extent, it will be more cost effective

For instance, compare the costs of operating a Falcon 9 vehicle to those of a Delta 2 launch vehicle. Falcon 9 has a max payload to LEO of roughly 10,000 kg, while the Delta 2 can do up to roughly 5,000 kg (or more with higher priced boosters).

Cost estimates for a base model Delta 2 put launch costs are roughly $55 million dollars. Cost estimates for the new Falcon 9 are roughly in the $35 million dollar range. So, divide out the payloads, and you get the following. The Delta 2 costs roughly $10,500 per kg to LEO, whereas the Falcon 9 is only going to run roughly $3,500 per kg to LEO. So, where do those savings come from? Not being a government run bureaucracy is probably a large portion of that.

Microwave? Throw it out.

An answer to this please:

Seems kinda low to me.

Back