Should spins be put back on PTS for private?

I was referring to the first few times I flew it, it felt like it dropped like a rock compared to the Cessnas. No problem greasing them now but I usually hold at least 1500rpm till short final before pulling power.

If you read up about the spin chararterstics of 150/152 they dont really spin. Instead they enter into a spiral dive after one turn and gain speed very fast. .

I used to do a lot of spins in 150's and I agree. I never really liked spinning that airplane because it was very difficult to keep it fully stalled and in the spin.

If you can find a more aerobatic airplane...they spin very nicely and are much more enjoyable.

Yea like I said theres a cessna 140 taildragger that spins very nicely and has no gyros to worry bout. Got to love the good ole stick and rudder planes.

Hey this is a great topic. I remember doing my CFI training and doing spins for the first time, and it definitely freaked me out the first time too. I couldnt believe how fast we lost 1000ft. When people get into these situations, especially low to the ground and having not seen it before can be devistating.

I 100% agree that it should be apart of the private license training. No doubt about it. Just my humble opinion.

"In flying I have learned that carelessness and overconfidence are usually far more dangerous than deliberately accepted risks"

Just a interesting quote that kind of goes with this topic.

Basically its telling you that your airplane will fall like a rock:) Same thing with my cherokee. Do to the hershey bar wings if it loses lift it drops like a rock. Theres no such thing as a power off greasier landing.

Haha, yeah I actually did all of my instrument flight training in a piper cherokee. I really enjoyed flying that airplane!

If you read up about the spin chararterstics of 150/152 they dont really spin. Instead they enter into a spiral dive after one turn and gain speed very fast. http://www.mpaviation.com/lesson9.htm (good site talking bout the difficulty of spinning a 152) In a true spin the nose of the aircraft will be going up and down gentially and rotation will be stabilzed while the speed will remain low. I would suggest finding a airplane that can go into a true spin not a spiral dive to learn spin recovery.

During my PP training I never said "no" to doing a spin when asked. On that note, I did one with the chief flight instructor and another with my primary instructor.

The one that the chief did was entered by the flick method and I did not recall the airspeed becoming too great. It was about 2-3 rotations. The recover was smooth.

The one that the primary instructor did was entered by cross control at stall and the airspeed was very close to red line in the end. It was 3 rotations as he counted them out loud. The recovery was scary. The spin stopped and he grunted as he pulled back on the yoke. I heard the wings flexing as we came out of that dive. I looked at him and said, "WTF was that?". He replies, "the airspeed is supposed to increase during a spin".

What made the second one dive? What made the first one smooth?

The aircraft used was a 152.

The one that the primary instructor did was entered by cross control at stall and the airspeed was very close to red line in the end.

He screwed that one up. The a/s should hover towards the low end of the dial during a spin in a C152; the moment it starts increasing, the spin is over.

well, I always emphasis on proper usage of rudder. ;) Then, I got few students who like to spin me unintentionally. It usually happened when they enter "power- off" stall un-coordinated. I did have a student had her hands off yoke and said "your plane" while we were in the rotation.

To answer the original poster's question - No, I do not think it should be put back to PTS at all. :) In my personal opinion, it should be demonstrated at altitude as the followings, but not required:

a. Too much back pressure when executing "go around" while un-coordinated.

b. Too little power, flare too high un-coordinated

just my 0.02

As far as what went wrong with your second spin attempt basically he let the nose drop. Thats a common problem with trying to the 150/152 series of airplane. If you dont hold enough backpressure after the first rotation the airplane will leave the spin and enter a spiral dive. I can't beleive that a CFI would tell you that was normal. If your ever in a spin and the speed begins to increase you need to get out now. Attempting a pullout above manuevering speed is asking for your wings to fold on you.

What did he do wrong?

Probably released the pro-spin control positions. Or he may have initiated the spin at too slow of an airspeed; when you're slow, you lack enough control authority to have a positive spin entry.

And, as others have noted, the C152 wants to pop out of the spin anyway after a rotation or two and the airspeed starts to build, at least when the power is off. Keeping full power and positive pro-spin control positions for several rotations will result in a fully developed spin. You can chop power and release the controls and you'll stay spinning.

Back