Should I opt out of CFI program?

jspeed87

I've been thinking if I should opt out of the CFI program at my flight school. I'm still working on my PSEL. After looking how unhappy instructors are at my flight school, I myself would not like to instruct just to build time. I think flight instructing should be something you really want to do. I would save about 5k if I opt out and would still have a CMEL with about 260 hours of multi engine time. Do I stand a chence in finding a job back at home in NJ/NY/PA? What job optinons are out there in the tri-state area without a CFI?

Get your CFI's!!! Get your CFI's!!! Get your CFI's!!!

With todays job market, you need to be prepared for the worst case. It will help you to become more knowledgable, and will look good on resumes. For this industry, the more certs. you have the better.

Every job and cool oppurtunity I have ever gotten has been due to having my CFI.

Alex.

Get your CFI's!!! Get your CFI's!!! Get your CFI's!!!

With todays job market, you need to be prepared for the worst case. It will help you to become more knowledgable, and will look good on resumes. For this industry, the more certs. you have the better.

I don't think I would be doing my job with dedication. Besides I think the experience gained from being a flight instructor is worthless(At least on primary training.). I wanna fly lots of hardcore IFR. That to me would look better on a resume.

I would bet 0% of people regret getting their CFI's and instructing for a while.

I would also bet most people who don't regret not doing it.

I would also bet that the reason that your instructors are so bitter is because they feel they should be rockstar airline pilots by now, and reality has hit them in the face!

I don't think I would be doing my job with dedication. Besides I think the experience gained from being a flight instructor is worthless(At least on primary training.). I wanna fly lots of hardcore IFR. That to me would look better on a resume.

:popcorn:

Flying an IFR approach is childs play. Flying a visual approach is all skill.

Pass up on your CFI, and you WILL regret it.

Just because the CFI's are unhappy at your school doesn't mean you will be. Also, why would you have to stay there to instruct when finished? When I was at your point, getting my CFI seemed WAY to high of a climb up the mountain to be accomplished. As you progress and gain confidence in your flying skills, you'll enjoy it more. Get your instructor ratings as it will be the biggest boost and best chance to land that first aviation job. Good luck!

Flying an IFR approach is childs play. Flying a visual approach is all skill.

Pass up on your CFI, and you WILL regret it.

I don't agree on that. If your training for a job that will include flying IFR most of the time, why spend it in the traffic pattern? I even asked this question to my instructor. He said we are all here just to build time and get the hell out. Being a flight instructor should be a career not time building.

Yeah most people that don't get their CFI tell themselves all kinda things to make theirselves feel warm and fuzzy. This might work for you. Good luck.

Hardcore,
Ryan

I don't agree on that. If your training for a job that will include flying IFR most of the time, why spend it in the traffic pattern? I even asked this question to my instructor. He said we are all here just to build time and get the hell out. Being a flight instructor should be a career not time building.

Your instructor sounds like a real POS. You should find a new one.

Being a flight instructor should be a career not time building.

Wrong...in a way. Sure, if your just their to build time your students might suffer from it. But, most instructors I know wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

How many hour do you have? How old are you?

Most ppl on here have been there, done that. I for one know alot of pilots who skipped out on CFI school, got their job flying that shining lil RJ, got furloughed and are now struggling to find work.

I'm just saying, there's alot of experience on these pages. Alot of guys and gals with alot more than me. Listen to them!

What other job do you think you're gonna get that's gonna be 'hardcore' IFR? The non CFI jobs I can think of off the top of my head are traffic watch, pipeline patrol or aerial mapping. All VFR jobs, save for some repositioning flights. If you think about it 260 hours is not that much when you take into consideration all the higher time guys that are on the streets looking for work.

Your instructor sounds like a real POS. You should find a new one.

I am an instructor looking to move on to newer better things. I have no intention of CFI'ing for a career. I do however care about my students and quality of work. Does this make me a POS?

To be honest it sounds like your making excuses to get out of it. It is tough, and trust me, I wanted to not do it as well, but am damn glad I did.

How do you plan on getting a job with your 280 hours flying hard IFR with a wet commercial? You do realize that to fly part 135 IFR you have to have 1200 hours right? What happens on that day where there is no fog and approach clears you for a visual to a runway with no ILS or papi or vasi?

And yea, people who expected to be a super sweet regional gig by now will be bitching about their current job. Im at a super sweet regional and bitch all the time about wanting something better. Trust me, it never ends, the grass is greener on the other side.

I personally miss instructing, and if my CFI gig paid me a guarantee, the same pay, and same benefits as my airline, I would probably quit and go back in an instant.

1. Get a new instructor,
2. Opt out , because if your heart is not in it don't do a disservice to a new student. (sort of the attitude your current instructor has)
3. When your unemployed and are only holding a commercial ticket with no backup plan and eating ramen noodles we can all say told you so!
4. I seriously doubt someone is going to turn you loose flying HARD IFR at 250 hours.

Nothing, NOTHING prepared me better for a job at an airline than flight instructing.

NOTHING.

Anybody that tells you that the time you spend in the pattern is worthless time doesn't know what they're talking about.

Don't buy the hype bro, flight instructing make the best (civilian trained) pilots out there.

I'm 21. I just started my flight training here in FL. I have about 15 hours. I'm just saying that I would gain more experience flying PIC or right seat 135 cargo then supervising a student in cessna. This is just my opinion.

Back