Shiney Jet Syndrome

RICHARD5

...or, (entitled) kids these days.

The "Stagnate Career" thread got me thinking....

My room mate, 22 yrs old.
I turn 51 in July.

He's a very cool guy. Very personable, very smart.

But it's obvious he's been coddled his entire life. I dare say he has a sense of entitlement...that he expects everything to come to him and someone to do for him that which he should do for himself. And it seems he expects everything to go his way.

Conversely, when things haven't gone his way in the year that I've known him, he pouts and acts like a spoiled brat. It's always about him but when adversary strikes, it's more so.

Last week he even dared to get all stupifying uppity about his plane assingment; he got bent that he was assigned to a plane not his preffered aircraft. Seriously, he threw a hissy fit that 'his' plane was not available and he just had to fly a different plane. His response was, "Whatever." This comapany allowed him to choose whether to fly or not. He chose not to fly on a very busy day while he sulked all day in bed. Oh ----ing boo hoo.

Anyway, this past Saturday was our last day, our employment was terminated. Boy, did he shut up. Now none of us know what we're gonna' be doing. He will be going back to FLA and has the option of instructing at Daytona, something he dreads.

But this isn't about my room mate, per se. It's about all of us. I happen to be of the generation spawned of the generation which came of age in a depression and saw a world war. Don't think they didn't impress their values onto me. I had a low draft number for Viet Nam. I saw wage freezes where grown men with families worked 3 or 4 jobs, and so did their wives.

So it's hard for me to swallow when a youth--who their entire life had only seen prosperity yet had never seen adversary--cries or whines about their 'misfortune'.

Moral: Whatever you think it should be.

The Shiney Jet syndrome reference is how I explain my roomie's recent behaviors. He's obviously bored flying piston singles over the same route again and again. And he's had several friends visit who are flying CRJs and I'm pretty sure he's feeling left behind. But what he seems to discount is they are making less $$ than we were.

Re: Shiney Jet Syndrom

That is a very well thought out post. And VERY true in a lot of aspects.

Sorry to hear you lost your job.

Sorry to hear RICHARD5.
I started reading your thread and was entirely sure you would be kidding about the plane assignment. "Whatever" is a well used word nowadays and I think the people who allowed it to be used like sugar in coffee should be kicked out the window.

Thanks for this thread.

hissy fits are not just the realm of the younger crowd. just working in retail I can show just as many entightled a holes who are boomers as there are kids. I agree the behVior is bad but it's not everywhere. being a younger civilian trained pilot people expect me to be a poor pilot since I
not military trained and I have a snotty attitude.

ok so maybe a bit of a rant but so many generalities. so not all of us suffer sjs. that is all

I happen to be of the generation spawned of the generation which came of age in a depression and saw a world war. Don't think they didn't impress their values onto me. I had a low draft number for Viet Nam. I saw wage freezes where grown men with families worked 3 or 4 jobs, and so did their wives.

My Dad's draft number was 13 in Vietnam. He's a self made millionaire who came from NOTHING. I never wanted for anything I needed but did want for a lot I didn't. If I wanted it, I had to work for it and find a way to do it.

His attitude for me was "Do it, don't do it, either way shut the ---k up."

Everything I do is a reflection of, and solely on me. Not a common attitude these days.

Good post and great points.

As a side note though, my curiousity was piqued by:
I turn 51 in July...I had a low draft number for Viet Nam.

I turned 51 in April. The draft ended in 1973, when I was 15 years old. Registration ended in 1975 while I was either 16 or 17. I never had to register for the draft, and the actual practice of drafting had ended three years before I became eligible. I'm 3 months older than you. Color me: :confused:

I bet RICHARD5 parent's generation would have typed the exact same thing about the spoiled brats of his age, and been as right as he is today.

Congratulations RICHARD, you're officially old.

As one of these Y generation kids, I know that we all have SJS because we were raised by baby boomers who gave us everything and made us spoiled for the most part. We're also very over stimulated. Look at all the cool gadgets and the millions of tv stations we have, so we get bored easy doing the same thing, we haven't had to work hard for anything because our baby boomer parents gave us everything. I have SJS even though I'm still a student pilot because i know they they pay the pilots of the big jets more than the pilots of the small jets. If they paid me 200 hr. to fly King Airs, I know i'd do that the rest of my life, but they don't, and since this is a job, I want the one that pays the most (i know insert joke about airline career here), but that's the way I feel. Although all this talk lately about how bad the airlines are, keeps moving that career path further down my list.

Careful about generalizing generations, Richard. I could just as easily attack your "boomer" generation for being the most selfish and narcissistic in quite some time. Every generation is different, and every one of them has unique faults. It doesn't make yours better than Gen X or Gen Y, or whatever other generation.

Awesome post, RICHARD5.

It's all about perspective, and that's something I've been saying all along. Warning - there are a couple of people around here that don't like that positive attitude. One of them said just a few days ago that this career sucks, " . . . unless you grew up poor and are just happy to have a paycheck".

Yeah, some people do have a sense of entitlement.

I hate it when people make generation-based arguments. What makes you so sure your roommate's behavior is due to the 'age' he was born it, rather than, I don't know, the fact of him being 21 freaking years old? It's real easy to say "When I was his age, I was way more mature than these brats", but it's not likely. You were probably just as susceptible to the same kind of behavior when you were his age. Get over yourself.

I'm 25 now and I can look back to when I was 20 and see things I did that was immature. I'm sure when I'm 30 I'll look back to things I'm doing now and see them differently too. As I age I learn stuff that makes me a better person. It's the way life works.

Good post and great points.

As a side note though, my curiousity was piqued by:

I turned 51 in April. The draft ended in 1973, when I was 15 years old. Registration ended in 1975 while I was either 16 or 17. I never had to register for the draft, and the actual practice of drafting had ended three years before I became eligible. I'm 3 months older than you. Color me: :confused:

I'm "piqued" right back by what you wrote. I am 48, and the draft ended not that long before I was eligible, and I was REQUIRED to register for the draft. I doubt I was mislead, as my high school was in a very "antiwar" town. It was made VERY clear. I remember going down and doing it, and being glad that the draft had ended a couple of years prior.

...or, (entitled) kids these days.

The "Stagnate Career" thread got me thinking....

My room mate, 22 yrs old.
I turn 51 in July.

But this isn't about my room mate, per se. It's about all of us. I happen to be of the generation spawned of the generation which came of age in a depression and saw a world war. Don't think they didn't impress their values onto me. I had a low draft number for Viet Nam. I saw wage freezes where grown men with families worked 3 or 4 jobs, and so did their wives.

So it's hard for me to swallow when a youth--who their entire life had only seen prosperity yet had never seen adversary--cries or whines about their 'misfortune'.

Moral: Whatever you think it should be.

:confused::confused:
Ok You are a couple of months shy of 10 yrs older than me. The draft ended in 1973 about the time ground hostilities were ending. You were 15, I was 5... I joined the military 11 years after the last chopper left Saigon in 1975 and you would have been 17 at the time.
So how did you exactly have a low draft number for vietnam?

I served in an Air National Guard unit with a guy that was in the USAAF, and we worked on two aircraft with mig kills. Can I now by proxy brag I barely missed the "big one" and Vietnam.

I'm "piqued" right back by what you wrote. I am 48, and the draft ended not that long before I was eligible, and I was REQUIRED to register for the draft. I doubt I was mislead, as my high school was in a very "antiwar" town. It was made VERY clear. I remember going down and doing it, and being glad that the draft had ended a couple of years prior.

I'm also 48. I remember signing up for the draft. Back then we all thought we were going to war with the RUSSIANS!:panic:

I'm also 48. I remember signing up for the draft. Back then we all thought we were going to war with the RUSSIANS!:panic:
Just as every male who registers with the selective service today signs up for "the draft". The draft ended 36 years ago.

Why do you have a roomate at 51?

LMAO:) I was thinking the exact same thing as soon as I saw that sentence. Then I came to the conclusion he is probably flying for someone and has to use a crashpad or roomie type setup.

Back