Shelter Part II.

Heat2151

Hi Guy's,

I'm currently checking out a few apartments in VB. So far I keep hearing that getting housing is a problem due to non-availability. But was basically told to keep checking in for an
opening.

However if any of you, are living in one of these, What are your likes/dislikes, rent, distance from the school, other issues that are not mentioned during the primary phone calls. and finally would you recomend or stay away. Mrs.Heat and I will be moving there by this September, so your feedback is greatly appreciated.

1) Kyle's Run Apartments

2) Cantebury Place

3) The Wood Apartments

4) Indian River Apartments

Once again thanks for you input.

Best Regards,
Heat2151

Heat,

I'm in the same situation as you. I would love to hear about what is available down there. When I visited I picked up a copy of the local Apartment Guide, but it had very few listings. I also stopped to see The Pines of Vero....it is descent to say the best. Nothing flashy, but not too bad. They told me it was very difficult to get a 1 bedroom, but 2 BR's generally wasn't too much of a problem. 2 BR's go for $675 (I believe)...Chunk could say better since he just moved in there

At this time, I cannot apply the Chunk seal of approval to the Pines. The management leaves a lot to be desired. As soon as I cut the check, the service stopped.

Gimme a call, either one of you, and I'll give you the run-down.
696-0777

Chunk <---gotta run

Hey Guys.

Which areas (N, S, E, W) of VB seem to be the best or worst? I did a very quick driving overview when I was there for my tour and saw the area between the airport and VB Highlands. It looked nice enough. Is all of VB roughly the same? Also, I'll be driving out there with a 6x12x6 U-Haul in late July from Los Angeles (the first of 2 loads) and wouldn't mind hiring a person or two who need a few extra $$ to help unload after I get a place to live or a storage space upon my arrival. Drop me a reply or phone call 310-446-1945 if you're interested.

Cheers.

Mark

I live in the one and only canterbury place, and though it isn't Park Avenue I really think its a nice place to live. I pay $585 for a 2 bedroom, and about 2 mi from school. We are 2 blocks east of the Pines. Its a nice neighborhood, most of the residents are FlightSafety related. I have had a good experience with the management here. If I ever have a maintenance problem it is generally taken care of right away. Like last year my A/C went haywire and they had a new one here and installed within a couple days. So again, not the prettiest places from the outside but they get the job done and I am comfortable here.

I wish my stuff would fit into Canterbury. The mx at the pines blows @ss. Note to my landlord(former FSI student): If you're reading this, FIX MY BLINDS! AND MY WINDOWS! /ubbthreads/images/icons/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/mad.gif AND EVERYTHING ELSE ON THE LIST!

Grrrrr

Chunk

1. Kyle's Run-I heard from many folks to stay away. Poor construction, but I don't know first hand.

2. Canterbury Place - I'd live there if I could fit my stuff in. Nice places, nice street, fairly cheap.

3. The Wood - Never heard of it. Suprising, I thought I checked everywhere out.

4. Indian River - No experience to base opinionated judgements about. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

I'd also check out Kyle's Club. It's uncome restricted, but they are nice. They might not be in a coupla years, but they are nice now. Don't let the income restrictions fool you, they'll get you in if you work with them. I couldn't get in because I had a dog over 15 pounds.

If I were single, I'd live in the FSI dorms until I had a chance to look around a lot, find a roomate from class and get a small house or duplex or something like that. Coupla other tips:

DirectTV is cheaper than cable and you get tons more channels.
If broadband in important to you, make sure you can get it. My landlord told me, verbally assured me, that it (DSL) was available here at the pines....NOPE! There's no way to check until you have your phone line hooked up, so I had to trust him. Big mistake there. No cable broadband available in Vero, to the best of my knowledge.

Good luck. Be smart b4 you sign a lease, get all promises in writing. You can't trust anyone. As someone wrote earlier, welcome to FL...once you are committed and pay, all customer service goes out the window (FSI excepted, of course!)

Vero is nice. You'll get used to it after a few weeks. Definately a sleepy town, but that's good. Not too many distractions from class! Mrs. Chunk cried at the end of the first week, but it has since grown on her a little bit.

Stay tuned, I'll give the first FSI ground school wrap-up after class today.

Chunk! <-----more and more glad everyday that I picked FSI!
Chunk

Have fun.

Perhaps the situation has changed since last fall...

When my wife and I were looking for housing there were many 2-3 bedroom homes available that were in great locations, were not too expensive ($500-$700), and would lease for less than a year. All of the houses we looked at were nicer than best apartments we saw. You may have to do a little weeding out, but there should be some good options out there.

Exactly. I don't know why more people don't get a HOUSE as apposed to an apartment. They're about the same price, and you get space, peace and quiet when you need it. Nobody next door blaring the radio, and a reserved parking place steps from the door.

Our first preference was to get a house over an apartment. Which area of town should we concentrate our search in? Is all VB roughly the same as far as noise, crime, etc?

Hi Guy's,

First, thanks to all who reponded to this thread. The hardest part of all this, is the house/apartment hunting. if you make the wrong move ( hand over the check and sign above the dotted line) and you end getting nailed. Which reminds me of the weather here in NYC "you never know when it's comming, or how many inches your going to get" /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif then it's stand by. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

Chunk, appreciate the word on the pines. if this thing with the pines goes south, are you and Mrs.chunk considering other options? cuz it seems to me, that this landlord blew some serious smoke. but at least the word is out, this will hit him where it hurts, it's just that this b.s has to go down at your family's expense. light his @ss up, so he can get with the program.

ThreeGreen - how long was the waiting period before you got the apartment.?

d_gelling, when get the chance check your PM's.

aca_dia, ATAorFSI - Mrs.Heat say's "excellent point" a great idea and if all money's being equal, your better off.

mfloyd - I dont think there are any bad area's in VB. When I did my tour I found the town to be very clean, quiet and a decent place to live. If you are looking for something very inexpensive, you could downgrade to Ft Pierce, but the place just hurts (no offense, to anyone roughing it out down there) /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif my wife shot that "dont you think about it look" /ubbthreads/images/icons/crazy.gif

Hey mfloyd, how will your ride take from L.A to VB.?
from NYC we figure it to take between 22 to 26 hours.

Anyway guy's, once again Mrs.Heat and I appreciate this valuable info.

This is off the subject but I just finished watching Black Hawk Down, man is this movie great, it's unbelievable.

Best Regards,
Heat2151

Heat.

Thanks for the overview on VB. I figure about 4 - 10 hour days of pulling a loaded trailer at 60 mph (I get to drive it twice - once with each car and 2 trailers). I'll make 1 trip late July and find a place to live when I get there, then the other trip mid August to stay. My class starts Sept. 3. Thanks again.

Mark

The infamous gifford...

I took a wrong turn once, drove right through a little residential area. I pretended my truck had a Vs. I kept it well above 50mph, ran a couple of stop signs, and got out alive.

Gifford....Yes, the small village to the north of Vero Beach...The first time I saw it was from the air, I think I was on a left downwind for 11L. I know there is an apartment complex up in that area that looks alright. Some instructors live up there.

Chunk- Sorry I haven't gotten back to you, I've been in lala land....

"50mph, ran a couple of stop signs, and got out alive. "

lancair1
Was this drive by, in the day time or after midnight.? /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

This gifford, sounds like prime real estate..any takers.?

Best Regards,
Heat2151

Gifford, it's just something you'll have to see and make up your own mind. Like most cities there's good and there's bad. The only way to chose is to see the neighborhood. Or else have someone you trust do it for you.

Baronman- it's good to hear from you, welcome back from lala land. /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

"I know there is an apartment complex up in that area that looks alright. Some instructors live up there. "

The marketing dept mentioned that FSI intructors get a salary and benefits but is this one of them.
"come teach with us, and we will hook you up, at Gifford" /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif Man, I hate to ask what the medical is like. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

Best Regards,
Heat2151

Hi guy's,

Well it seems, that the housing situation is starting to pick up.
As it stands, I'm going to have to make an additional trip to VB in august inorder to get everything settled. I was starting to consider living at the dorms for a while, but I need Mrs.Heat by my side, beside's she's a great cook. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

So far my search for a 2BD is taking flight, from the responces that I got, including the phone calls and mail correspondance. The following apartments are the leading candidates:

1) Cantebury Place - I spoke with lady name sherrie, very helpfull and professional, she indicated that they will have a few 2BD availabilities by this summer. The apartments range from $590 to $610 and the lease runs for 9 months and there's a large population from FSI that live in the complex. And it's 2 miles from the school and that fact is what makes it attractive.

2) Indian River - The lady that I sopke with was also very polite and she said that we are looking at september, at the latest before some thing opens up. It's income restricted, but they will work with you. $565 for a 2BD with a $400 sec deposit, a 7 month lease and it's 3 1/2 miles from the school.

3) Kyle's Run - So far the seem to have the largest opening's with 3 to 4 apartments to become ready by the summer. The 2BD's go for $601 and up, located about 5 miles from the school. This is also income restricted, but they are willing to work with you and very helpfull at answering every question I had.

I had called a few others including the pines, but I got zero responce and that's good, because of the way the pines management's treatment to chunk and his family, I said forget it, it is not woth the effort. thanks chunk

Also I'm noticing that getting a 1BD is almost out of the question, apart from a single availability is scarce. the responce was basically the same "Good luck, you wont find one". Must be rough, being young and single in VB. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

Well if something else develops, I'll keep everyone updated.

Best Regards and Thanks,
Heat2151

Back