School and Flying

Finny

Hello All,

I'm trying to finish out college while working full-time as a Regional FO. I currently live in base as a FO, so I have chosen to defer upgrade and be forced to commute until I finish my education. Since I am deferring upgrade, I want to finish school as fast as possible so after taking one class this fall, I will be taking 13 credits this spring and 14 this summer. My question for those of you that have finished school and flown, which schedule have you found easier Reserve/High Speeds/Line Flying? Living in base gives me a lot of flexibility, but I am curious if anyone has found one schedule is easier than the other. I'm married, a current ARNG soldier, do some ALPA volunteer work, and some local volunteer work as well and I'd like to keep all of those intact if possible!

Any advice would be appreciated!

Finny

P.S. If any current college students or younger prospective pilots read this, FINISH COLLEGE WHILE YOU'RE YOUNG. It sucks trying to do it as an adult! Don't slack off and piss away the opportunity to do it while it's easy like I did!

Good Luck!

I've been finishing school online the last few semesters and even with part time credits it's been tough to fit it in with full time flying. And I agree with @Finny degree first fly second, its tougher to do it the other way.

I was 22 and married when we both went back to school. You are going to have to lean on your spouse quite a lot.

+1 for finishing that degree ASAP when you're younger. I'm 33, have over 100 credits, but nothing adds up into any degree. 3 kids plus 1 full and 2 p/t jobs makes it near impossible to finish it up. Get your life in order and set yourself up for success early, it's harder when life gets more complicated.

I'm married, a current ARNG soldier, do some ALPA volunteer work, and some local volunteer work as well and I'd like to keep all of those intact if possible!

I would rethink the volunteer work until you are done with school. It will still be there later, and you will be in hopefully a better position to help by then. Don't burn yourself out.

I would rethink the volunteer work until you are done with school. It will still be there later, and you will be in hopefully a better position to help by then. Don't burn yourself out.

I'm thinking that's going to be my breaking point. I'll keep up with the ALPA stuff since I'm fairly new out of ALPA training and I don't want them to have a bad return on investment. The Minnesota Valley Wildlife Refuge may need a new trail ranger for a few months :)

P.S. If any current college students or younger prospective pilots read this, FINISH COLLEGE WHILE YOU'RE YOUNG. It sucks trying to do it as an adult! Don't slack off and piss away the opportunity to do it while it's easy like I did!
I will totally agree with that. My father only helped me out to fly after my Junior year and got my Commercial 2 years after college. The thought process of a college experience vs some one who doesn't have it is abismally different. I'm so glad I listened to him, and I will definetly recommend it before flying professionally.

I had the luxury of going back to school full time at 38. Fortunately I had some money in the bank.

It. Was. AWESOME.

Every day I learned something cool about the physical world. I got to teach and do a bit of research.

I thought I'd have a hard time competing with youngsters, but age and gile whips youth and vigor's ass every time.

But....financial handcuffs.

Richman

Hello All,

I'm trying to finish out college while working full-time as a Regional FO. I currently live in base as a FO, so I have chosen to defer upgrade and be forced to commute until I finish my education. Since I am deferring upgrade, I want to finish school as fast as possible so after taking one class this fall, I will be taking 13 credits this spring and 14 this summer. My question for those of you that have finished school and flown, which schedule have you found easier Reserve/High Speeds/Line Flying? Living in base gives me a lot of flexibility, but I am curious if anyone has found one schedule is easier than the other. I'm married, a current ARNG soldier, do some ALPA volunteer work, and some local volunteer work as well and I'd like to keep all of those intact if possible!

Finny

Take time and consider where you're most productive. If it's on the road, bid a line and 4 day trips. If it's home and your reserves don't fly much, bid reserve. Or bid a line with max days off. You're taking on an awful lot, it can be done but you'll be sacrificing something. If your wife is ok with it then lean on her and keep up with everything else. If it starts taking a toll on the two of you, figure out what you can drop temporarily.

Good luck, it's a lot to handle but it can be done!

I am way more productive at home than on the road.

I figure that I'll bid for the 3 days off I'll need for classes and select to reserve down if I can't Tuesday-Thursday off. Should be fairly easy with my seniority and living in base.

This is more a Plan A with Plans B-ZZ waiting in the wings. Frankly, I just want to be done with my degree so I can stop worrying about it.

Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone.

Back