saftey pilot, anywhere

NOGUFFCHET

I need some night and some instrument. Im a CFI and would be happy to travel to be a safety pilot, CFI or otherwise to build that time (about 50hrs.)
Just looking to stay afloat while I'm doing it, a couch would be enough payment.

PM.

I need some night and some instrument. Im a CFI and would be happy to travel to be a safety pilot, CFI or otherwise to build that time (about 50hrs.)
Just looking to stay afloat while I'm doing it, a couch would be enough payment.

PM.

If you are going to be a safety pilot and split cost thats one thing, but if you are going to instruct I think you should get paid. You paid a lot of money for that certificate, let it earn you some money back. Just my .02. (and the fact that if all CFI's worked for free I wouldn't have a job!!)

dude, at this point I will take it where I can get it, I'm about 50 hours of night away from 135.243 mins and I need to get it done. thanks for the support though, and I'm not trying to kill the industry, just get myself into a hireable position. hope everyone understands.

i hear ya buddy, but you should really charge SOMETHING. I mean even if out of principal. Charge $10/hr if u want for that 50hrs.... but you gotta charge something!

Would you treat patients for free if you were a doctor?

Just a thought. I am not trying to get a this and that argument going, just stating what has already been said. Don't sell yourself for free. I don't get why people do that in this industry.

sure. $10/hr...

quote: "I don't understand why people do that."

answer: because the market is flooded, I need these hours to get myself into another category of employment and I'm willing to help out a fellow pilot to do it.

Like I said before, I don't want to hurt the industry.

Bastardo.

That is for a good cause. I see no good cause in selling yourself for airplanes.

Would you practice law for free?

come on. read above, do you really not think that it is okay for me to help another pilot out? what am i doing wrong here? i understand that it could be looked at that im 'hurting the cfi community,' but let be serious.

Im not planning to practice law, but if i could do it for someone that needed it, and i needed to build a reputation, yes, i would.

Bastardo.

That is for a good cause. I see no good cause in selling yourself for airplanes.

Would you practice law for free?

Its not selling your self, the students need dual given, or a safety pilot, and he needs night time.

The pretentious BS about how some people are ruining this profession is ridiculous. Be advised, if you aren't willing to be flexible, you might as well quit flying.

answer: because the market is flooded, I need these hours to get myself into another category of employment and I'm willing to help out a fellow pilot to do it.

Like I said before, I don't want to hurt the industry.
That's true, the market is flooded. So how will having the absolute mins make you competitive enough to get a job that next category of employment?

Fair enough. But then one has to wonder why he doesn't use networking to find himself a part 91 job that will give him the ellusive 50 hours instead of having to beg for them on the internet.

Those tend to be harder to find than networking yourway into a freight gig, or something similar.

i don't know if i would call it begging. should i commit to a job just to leave once i make the hours? should i stick with the job that doesn't pay well just to honor the commitment and not open up another stepping stone for the pilot that just qualified for it?

i don't know if i would call it begging. should i commit to a job just to leave once i make the hours? should i stick with the job that doesn't pay well just to honor the commitment and not open up another stepping stone for the pilot that just qualified for it?
Yes.

Yes he should leave as soon as he has the hours AND yes he should stay even after the hours? Good answer, put some thought into that one, didn't you.
Ok you're right, I'll take another stab at it.
don't know if i would call it begging. should i commit to a job just to leave once i make the hours? should i stick with the job that doesn't pay well just to honor the commitment and not open up another stepping stone for the pilot that just qualified for it?
Do you think for a moment that anyone with more hours than you who needs a job is going to pass on whatever 135 gig you hope to get 'because some other pilot might need that stepping stone job too'? For that matter, do you think that anyone with more hours than you who needs a job is going to pass on that part 91 gig if that's all they can get?

You keep saying you don't want to hurt the industry. But that's kind of like a mobster getting on the witness stand and saying that he didn't want to kill all those people. If you don't want to hurt the industry, then don't hurt the industry. Working for free hurts the industry. You don't have to be an algebra teacher to figure out the math in this situation.

So in short, yes I think its better to commit to a job and then leave when a better opportunity comes along than it is to prostitute yourself out for free. You have to take care of yourself. But you also have do whatever you can to take care of the industry you hope to someday eek a living from. Don't work for free.

Let's face it, even if you posted your offer for safety pilot/free flight instruction everywhere on the net, it would still probably take you a good six months at best to accumulate 50 hours of night time. If you get a job at a busy flight school and schedule as much time at night as possible, you could probably pick up 50 hours in less than 3 months. And if its a busy flight school, they're going to so used to CFI's rotating out after a couple of months that they won't even notice when you're gone. And that's only one possiblity. There are others. Find a 135 that uses F/Os and pump gas on their ramp until an F/O quits. F/O's don't need to be PIC qualified and once you're in the seat, you'll be getting twin turbine time instead of humping frieght around all night in a tired cherokee six. The point is there are other options besides giving it away for free.

Back