Safety pilot in IMC

Why is this different? The pilot isn't acting as PIC when there is a CFI on board, yet he can log PIC. Why would it be any different if the person that IS acting as PIC is not a CFI?
Actually, if you literally read the regs, there =is= a difference. Use of the sole manipulator rule to cover non-instructional situations is an interpretive expansion.

No problem. I get it. You're a CFI therefore there is no way you could possibly be incorrect. :rolleyes:

Thanks for mav compliment. But I ain't mav. I'm just a guy who understands some of the regs better than you.

No. The "Mav" comment was because of the cocky, arrogant tone you used in your "post it on you tube-ought to be fun" comment.

It might behoove you to show a little respect to people who just might have more experience than you.

enough of this now. OK?????

Actually, if you literally read the regs, there =is= a difference. Use of the sole manipulator rule to cover non-instructional situations is an interpretive expansion.

Thank You...This is the point I have been trying to make.

I've been around long enough to know that just because some lawyer interprets law one way doesnt mean that some other lawyer in some other regional office wont interpret the same law some other way.

No. The "Mav" comment was because of the cocky, arrogant tone you used in your "post it on you tube-ought to be fun" comment.

It might behoove you to show a little respect to people who just might have more experience than you.

enough of this now. OK?????
You're right, that was probably uncalled for. It bugs me when I see a CFI who isn't willing to admit that he might be wrong about something. It seems to me that's what you're doing. My apologies if I'm mistaken about that.

However I genuinely believe you are incorrect on this issue. The or has privileges line doesn't mean what you think it means and the FAA has confirmed that time and time again. You might have more experience than me but are you telling me that you understand the regs better than the FAA?

Thank You...This is the point I have been trying to make.
Don't thank me too fast. I still disagree with your bottom line. Logging PIC as the "sole manipulator of the controls" of an aircraft the pilot is rated for, without regard to any other factors is the FAA's "interpretive expansion" not that of someone on this board. My reason for saying that it's an expansion is based on a technicality I noticed some time back that, afaik, the FAA Chief Counsel has never referred to in any "sole manipulator" interpretation.

Of course, one should only log what one is comfortable with logging, so I would never suggest you log anything differently.

Back