Sad end of an airline amenity

Oh, they’re still very much a thing, the trading cards are.

On plane.

I see! Imma ask for one now. And the kids too.

74510603959__0A6AA782-AF47-4D78-A298-10B1E1D16FC5.jpeg

View attachment 79200

Snagged this pic last week on my way to Texas. Round-trip I got the window seat, and that thing stayed up the entire flight, much to the chagrin of those around me.

Keep it open!

I’m dismayed that a large percentage of my daytime flights have the lights basically OFF and the windows closed and it’s like 160 people sitting down in rows, silently, staring forward motionless like Qin Shi Huang‘s Terracotta Warriors.

As a kid I was a nerd about the inflight magazine. The route maps and fleet info were my favorite pages, followed by the food/drink pages. I would always take the complimentary copy home, and it became a memento for that trip.

As the pandemic started, everyone started ditching this common touch item. My shop was gone quickly and never brought it back. Same with Delta. AA hung on a bit, but gone. And now, the last remaining United Hemisphere magazine will be no more.

A sad end to a wonderful amenity post pandemic. RIP inflight magazines in this country. You brought joy to a kid and added to his collection of aviation stuff.

Time for Madonna to update her riff, eh? "I'm living in a non-material world?" Just doesn't quite have the same old zing.

You failed to pack enough toilet paper. You have died of dysentery.

I told a coworker that no one had mobile phones when I was in college and she asked what we would do if we wanted to hang out with someone on the far side of campus.

I told her we’d hitch up the oxen to the wagon but it would take months and half of us would die trying to float a caulked wagon across a river because we were too cheap to pay for the ferry.

She didn’t get the reference.

I told a coworker that no one had mobile phones when I was in college and she asked what we would do if we wanted to hang out with someone on the far side of campus.

I told her we’d hitch up the oxen to the wagon but it would take months and half of us would die trying to float a caulked wagon across a river because we were too cheap to pay for the ferry.

She didn’t get the reference.

Did you die of dysentery?

I will always and forever (if I'm paying) book a window seat, and the window shade will stay up. Preferably on either side back by the trailing edge flaps. I still love seeing those double slotted fowler's come out and retract. Even though full flap landings are such a rare thing in today's day. I'm still a geek, ha! When I get money, I might move up front to First Class lay flat. Lol.
I used to say this then my bladder had different plans 🤦‍♂️. You’ll never stop enjoying that view though.

I used to say this then my bladder had different plans 🤦‍♂️. You’ll never stop enjoying that view though.

Yeah, sometimes I have to weigh my priorities on longer flights between view and not being annoyed by these idiots, and having an annoyance-free direct exit to the lav. 2-3 hr flights, window is a no-brainer......any longer than that, and I think twice first

Back