Sad end of an airline amenity

If you guys really want to play “remember when”, well, remember when people would get on an airplane and actually look out of the window, rarely closing the shades?
I will always and forever (if I'm paying) book a window seat, and the window shade will stay up. Preferably on either side back by the trailing edge flaps. I still love seeing those double slotted fowler's come out and retract. Even though full flap landings are such a rare thing in today's day. I'm still a geek, ha! When I get money, I might move up front to First Class lay flat. Lol.

If you guys really want to play “remember when”, well, remember when people would get on an airplane and actually look out of the window, rarely closing the shades?

I really hate the people in window seats now. I think it is just a power move so that they can control whether the shade is open or not, because they hate airplanes and are afraid of seeing outside. I don't sit in them because who knows when that unconfined fan/compressor failure is gonna blow out said window and suck me out. But I digress..... :)

I really hate the people in window seats now. I think it is just a power move so that they can control whether the shade is open or not, because they hate airplanes and are afraid of seeing outside. I don't sit in them because who knows when that unconfined fan/compressor failure is gonna blow out said window and suck me out. But I digress..... :)
Boeing says that they have a fix in for that, lol.

Also I guess autocorrect snuck that "unconfined fan failure" in there on me. I hate technology

Same.

Oh, there’s this social media “raw dog” challenge where you don’t read, don’t look at the IFE and just stare at a seatback for hours on end.

“Wow, TikTok people, you just re-created the passenger experience prior to the early 2000’s. Bravo. So…. Edgy…. And BRAVE”

IMG_0084.gif

I still do that if it isn't some ungodly hour. I usually get a few nice photos on each flight if I get a window.

Yeah, I read a bunch of hobby stuff, gamer/model train/machining geek stuff. Its all going to be totally online or simply gone by 2030 I think. All the model airplane magazines I used to love as a kid have dried up, save Model Aviation, and its been thicker in the past. Books themselves are headed that way too. I'll miss them when they're gone.

Even the popular car magazines are going semi monthly or quarterly now.

It's sad.

Although, to be honest, I'd rather watch YouTube reviews than read a magazine these days.

I can't stand this! And I really can't stand the people who pretend whatever is out the window is a secret that only they can see...lifting the shade up just slightly, sticking their whole head in the window and then immediately slamming it shut like they're William Shatner or something.

Reason #6857 why I'm glad I don't fly people anymore and deadhead only when necessary.

I can't stand this! And I really can't stand the people who pretend whatever is out the window is a secret that only they can see...lifting the shade up just slightly, sticking their whole head in the window and then immediately slamming it shut like they're William Shatner or something.

Reason #6857 why I'm glad I don't fly people anymore and deadhead only when necessary.
Now you gotta worry about airplane influencers suction cupping their camera to the window to film the entire flight, starting at push back. Which not sure how they get away with that below 10k.

20240807_184207.jpg

Shades stay up in the emergency exit row, sorry seat row mate! Sucks to be you.
Also, breaking out of the overcast forever puts a smile on my face. Whether or not it's actually making it out of PHL , that is still debatable.

20240807_191322.jpg

Plus you get to see some excellent sunsets if the haze/smoke/sand/dust cooperates!

Where is Dr Chester Karrass going to advertise his negotiating seminars now? And how will I know what the top ten overpriced bland steakhouses in Dallas and Phoenix are?
This will kill the busy professional matchmaker industry!

How will I find The Best Doctors in Atlanta?”, with pen in-hand?

One of the best features of ours was some of the destination dining recommendations by flight crew.

One of the few things to make me LOL today.

Well played, gents.

I hate it when I'm the most capitalist in the room, especially when I'm surrounded by other erstwhile and professed capitalists, etc.

How will I find The Best Doctors in Atlanta?”, with pen in-hand?

One of the best features of ours was some of the destination dining recommendations by flight crew.

Oh man, those Best Doctor ad series. EVERY single one posed and gave a vibe like the doctor from ‘Get Out’

Back