Road to the majors.

just_blaze

I have been reading the forums for quite some time now, I appreciate the great atmosphere on these boards and especially in the dispatch section.

Quick background info about myself, I have obtained an FAA dispatch certificate in late 2011, and I was already in possession of a dispatch certification from one of the countries in EU, having lived in Europe for quite some time. I have even done some dispatching over there, albeit it is a bit different than here. Since, I have interviewed with one 121 air carrier and even received a job offer, however due to very hazy outlook of the company's future and having another offer from part 91/135 company I chose the latter. The first company ended up ceasing operations few months after.

I'm currently stuck in a job where I'm working as what you call Flight Follower/CSR/liaison but I do not do any actual dispatching and I do not use my aviation knowledge whatsoever. My dream job of course would be being an aircraft dispatcher for one of the major carriers, however reading some of your feedback it seems hiring by one is only possible after paying your dues at one of the regional carriers.

I'm not sure if that is completely possible in my situation as I'm still carrying the financial burden of a 4 year degree. Any of these smaller jobs paying over 35k annually willing to hire someone with my experience?

I know some of the major carriers have dispatch support or weight and balance departments? Would that be a good way of putting your foot in the door and making it to dispatching one day? Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Internal hire is certainly easier than external. However I heard rumors that a certain major was very displeased last time they went all internal and will be looking externally next time.

I would like to know this secret as well too.

I've met the "requisite" 5 years of experience and worked my tail off to do things on the side to improve my resume. Yet I'm getting increasingly frustrated with every major posting that results in a no call. Then I get enraged when I find out through the grapevine that I'm getting bested by people with as little as 18 months experience.

So to answer your question, I say good luck! Seriously though, 121 dispatch experience is a must and the supermajority of the guys at the majors grind their teeth at the regionals first.

just_blaze said:
I have been reading the forums for quite some time now, I appreciate the great atmosphere on these boards and especially in the dispatch section.

Quick background info about myself, I have obtained an FAA dispatch certificate in late 2011, and I was already in possession of a dispatch certification from one of the countries in EU, having lived in Europe for quite some time. I have even done some dispatching over there, albeit it is a bit different than here. Since, I have interviewed with one 121 air carrier and even received a job offer, however due to very hazy outlook of the company's future and having another offer from part 91/135 company I chose the latter. The first company ended up ceasing operations few months after.

I'm currently stuck in a job where I'm working as what you call Flight Follower/CSR/liaison but I do not do any actual dispatching and I do not use my aviation knowledge whatsoever. My dream job of course would be being an aircraft dispatcher for one of the major carriers, however reading some of your feedback it seems hiring by one is only possible after paying your dues at one of the regional carriers.

I'm not sure if that is completely possible in my situation as I'm still carrying the financial burden of a 4 year degree. Any of these smaller jobs paying over 35k annually willing to hire someone with my experience?

I know some of the major carriers have dispatch support or weight and balance departments? Would that be a good way of putting your foot in the door and making it to dispatching one day? Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

If you want the 121 experience and to make at least 35K or more a year, I would highly suggest looking at supplemental airlines. This is the route I chose and the experience I've gotten has been awesome. Granted, my airline shut it's doors, but I'm working again at another supplemental. The plus side is the international, ETOPS experience that you just won't get at a regional. Now I know a lot of majors want to see that you've gone the regional route and have worked in the "hub and spoke" system (at least that's what I've been told), but others find the international dispatching experience of wide body aircraft is a good thing too. In fact, a co-worker of mine with just a few years more experience than me got her dream job at UPS. My last job, which was right out of school paid 35K to start - which isn't much but hey - it's better than the $13/hr most regionals start out paying. Now I've only got 6 months DX experience and my new job is paying me 45K to start. So supplemental ops is a decent way to go for pay and experience. Wish you good luck whichever route you choose... But either way, if your goal is to get to a major, you've got to get with a 121 carrier. :)

As an international you might also have difficulties if you need to get sponsored for employment. One of my classmates is in this limbo right now.

I work at a major and we have hired several people who used to work in our weight and balance department. So yes, that is one route you can go. One person got really lucky and got that job right after he had his license and then got a dispatcher position within a year of starting. Still, it's not a guarantee, as I know several people from that department that I think would make excellent candidates who have not gotten hired to be dispatchers.

I will say that when it comes to getting on with a major, most of them do like to see a 4 year degree of some kind. It sounds like you've already checked off that box so you're one step ahead there....your next step now will be to get some 121 dispatching experience, either at a regional or working at a supplemental as womanpilot73 suggested. Having had some practical "dispatch like" experience under your belt, it shouldn't be that hard to get hired by a regional or supplemental. Then after you get a couple years of experience there, start applying for every major opening that you see or hear about.

If you guys think you have it bad, 80-90% of the American Eagle dispatch group has 15+ years experience. Many were hoping to get hired on by AA but in 2001 the economy and AA went downhill and didnt hired dxers for nearly a decade. Eagle has excellent work rules and is extremely relaxed so many dont want to leave but others cant afford the paycut now to go to AA. For many its going from 50K base salary to 29K that AA starts at. Fuel bonus of 20K a year at AA aside, they dont want to take the risk. Eagle had generous OT rules and you pretty much can get whatever schedule you want just by asking.

With so many of us with a fraction of that experience wanting a spot at a major, it goes to show that a large number of people never make a major and get stuck at a regional.

Thank you all for your input. Jose, I'm an American citizen, only went to Europe after college to gain some experience.

Quick background info about myself, I have obtained an FAA dispatch certificate in late 2011, and I was already in possession of a dispatch certification from one of the countries in EU, having lived in Europe for quite some time. I have even done some dispatching over there, albeit it is a bit different than here.

Can you elaborate on this? I'm very curious as to how the whole system works in Europe. What is the process for certification and what are the differences between the jobs in the USA and the EU? How does pay compare?

Can you elaborate on this? I'm very curious as to how the whole system works in Europe. What is the process for certification and what are the differences between the jobs in the USA and the EU? How does pay compare?

Based on my own experience:

ICAO leaves it up to the state (country) to provide/recognize aircraft dispatcher certification. From what I understand currently UK and Luxemburg do not provide/recognize certification. Most of the European nations do, and I imagine the certification process varies from country to country.

I have received my certificate from one of the countries in central Europe. My license says: XXX CAA aircraft dispatcher license issued according to ICAO standards. This license allows me to perform duties of an aircraft dispatcher in this country. I do not know if I can transfer it to any other European nation. With that said, FAA aircraft dispatcher license is still looked up to as the highest certification in the field. I imagine if one wanted to work for British Airways, having FAA license on your resume might give you the edge over other applicants.

Main difference: no joint-responsibility. We would file the plans if the minimums were met, however the crew was fully responsible for the flight itself. Where I worked, the pay was decent enough for me to get by, living a nation's capital, which is pretty expensive vs. rest of the country. I imagine carries like BA, KLM, Lufthansa will probably pay you a lot more. Of course with KLM and Lufthansa, you probably need fluent Dutch/German and locally obtained dispatch certification.

The certification itself (again, where I received mine) as it stand right now is 285h course learning the subjects of: law and regs, aircraft and performance, navigation, weather, weight and balance, haz mat, flight planning, flight control, human factors . After completing this stage, you would move on and have to complete 90days of OJT. You then take part in tests prepared by the CAA based on the subjects you studied during the course. After completing all these requirements, you were allowed to participate in an oral/practical test with an CAA examiner who would eventually sign off on you to become a dispatcher. This is the nucleus of things as I remember them, feel free to PM me with any questions, I can possibly provide more details.

Back