RIP AMF OAK

Cal Goat

Prestige Worldwide™
Once one of the largest and busiest facilities in the company is now an empty shell. To the pilots that remain, I hope IFR into and out of HWD isn't the nightmare it sounds like it could be. Be well.

Nah, I think they are moving to Hayward. I heard about that before I left a while ago. Hayward is a little cheaper and probably has smaller facilities to accommodate a sinking ship.

Their schedule still shows a bunch of the chieftain runs. Eventually there will only be SFO/MHR outstations.

Nah, I think they are moving to Hayward. I heard about that before I left a while ago. Hayward is a little cheaper and probably has smaller facilities to accommodate a sinking ship.

Their schedule still shows a bunch of the chieftain runs. Eventually there will only be SFO/MHR outstations.

Truth. I found me a life boat and I'm paddling away.

That facility was definitely a legit facility as far a freight facilities go. (if they even exist at all). I'm sure somebody dropped some serious coin on that building back in the day.
But like most, I've zero love lost for OAK. KC must of felt the need to feel relevant.

That facility was definitely a legit facility as far a freight facilities go. (if they even exist at all). I'm sure somebody dropped some serious coin on that building back in the day.
But like most, I've zero love lost for OAK. KC must of felt the need to feel relevant.
I just don't understand how they couldn't pick up any more flying. Seems like the bay area would have some type of freight that would get somewhere fast.

Maybe no for you, but I have some fond memories there.
Well I have some not so fond memories TDY in OAK. Fact is we can't compete with the vans and check 21 killed us there. Besides didn't they get rid of that second hanger years ago in OAK

Well I have some not so fond memories TDY in OAK. Fact is we can't compete with the vans and check 21 killed us there. Besides didn't they get rid of that second hanger years ago in OAK
Caravan, when it has to get there slower than driving.

A small operation out of RDD is doing a lot of UPS work with 402s in the NorCal region. I think their airplanes are all GPS equipped too. Funny thing is that I've heard one or 2 of their pilots make snarky comments about KC, and I am unable to really argue with them.

A small operation out of RDD is doing a lot of UPS work with 402s in the NorCal region. I think their airplanes are all GPS equipped too. Funny thing is that I've heard one or 2 of their pilots make snarky comments about KC, and I am unable to really argue with them.
I honestly wonder how UPS feels about the airplane not getting in because it doesn't have a GPS. If they know anything about aviation the conversation has to go like this - How come XXXX didn't get there today the weather was 1000-2? Oh because we fly /A and can't use the gps approach that goes to 500-1/2, our mins are 3000-3 for that airport.
If it were me, I'd go find another person with gps to fly that route asap.

I honestly wonder how UPS feels about the airplane not getting in because it doesn't have a GPS. If they know anything about aviation the conversation has to go like this - How come XXXX didn't get there today the weather was 1000-2? Oh because we fly /A and can't use the gps approach that goes to 500-1/2, our mins are 3000-3 for that airport.
It is where UPS wants the flight. No weather reporting so no approach. Their call.

Considering all the fog they get you would think they would just use the airport 7 miles away with an ILS.
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

It is where UPS wants the flight. No weather reporting so no approach. Their call.

I'm not talking about that airport. I'm talking about other airports we go to, with weather that either only have a GPS approach, or the VOR or NDB only gets you to like 3 or 4000 agl. Where the gps gets you to like 500agl.

I'm not talking about that airport. I'm talking about other airports we go to, with weather that either only have a GPS approach, but the VOR or NDB only gets you to like 3 or 4000 agl. Where the gps gets you to like 500agl.
Oh gotcha.

I personally wonder why the B models seem to get the GPSs first. They don't fly anywhere that needs a GPS.

"Cancel IFR, Fly the Garmin 296 Arrival to the XXXX Airport." ;)

Back