Riddle no longer 100% free to vets

matthew

ERAU's vet center confirmed that congress has revised the post 9/11 to disallow flight funds (seperate from tuition) to students who attend private part 141 universities. Tuition is still covered but flight costs are on your own.

Devestating news to those of us who took congress on their word.

That's horrible. Are people going to be grandfathered in/out in any way? i.e. can a student already in training finish their training and, if so, can they finish their degree or at least finish the particular rating they're working on??

That's horrible. Are people going to be grandfathered in/out in any way? i.e. can a student already in training finish their training and, if so, can they finish their degree or at least finish the particular rating they're working on??

Word is that they are working on something but I wouldn't get your hopes up. It's not that they discontinued funding to the flight department its that they cap the amount they pay to $35,000 a year(provided that the school participates in the yellow ribbon program). If you attend a private university and your tuition + flight costs are greater than $35,000 then your flight costs are on you.

Taken from http://www.gibill.va.gov/post-911/post-911-gi-bill-summary/Post911_changes.html

For students attending private institutions of higher learning or foreign schools, the tuition and fee reimbursement is capped at the lesser of net out-of-pocket cost or $17,500 annually - however the Yellow Ribbon Program still exists
However, there is one upside to this. You are now allowed to enroll in previously denied flight schools (Delta Connections, Aerosim etc...)

Non-college degree programs, on-the-job training, and flight training programs are now covered under the Post-9/11 GI Bill

I'd appreciate other people's interpretation on this as well as this is more or less a self interpretation.

Way to go Congress. Way to screw over the vets once again.

How is that a screw job? The new GI bill is all ready an ENORMOUS jump in entitlements over what previous vets have had for 50 years.

I'm sure it is a change of plans for people who enrolled in Riddle with a certain expectation, but when that generous entitlement is adjusted down a bit (and it is still significantly more than any previous GI Bills), I just can't see that as "screwing over" anyone in any way.

How is that a screw job? The new GI bill is all ready an ENORMOUS jump in entitlements over what previous vets have had for 50 years.

I'm sure it is a change of plans for people who enrolled in Riddle with a certain expectation, but when that generous entitlement is adjusted down a bit (and it is still significantly more than any previous GI Bills), I just can't see that as "screwing over" anyone in any way.

Maybe because many of our servicemen and women enlist in the military intending to use the bill to cover all of their secondary education costs..

Matt,

Hey man, bummer. When you told me about it, it really did sound too good to be true.

That said, they shouldn't really go back "on their word", so-to-speak, for those who have already enrolled. I know if I dropped everything expecting Uncle Sugar to pick up the tab, then made it through a semester, that would definitely be devastating. How do you explain that one to the wife?

Either way, you're getting a degree and living expenses, so try to keep the "glass is half full" mentality.

Good luck brother, and keep us updated.

Matt,

Hey man, bummer. When you told me about it, it really did sound too good to be true.

That said, they shouldn't really go back "on their word", so-to-speak, for those who have already enrolled. I know if I dropped everything expecting Uncle Sugar to pick up the tab, then made it through a semester, that would definitely be devastating. How do you explain that one to the wife?

Either way, you're getting a degree and living expenses, so try to keep the "glass is half full" mentality.

Good luck brother, and keep us updated.

Yeah but what bugs me is that I can goto a public university with the same program and the state cap applies. State caps dont apply to private universities now.

Sounds like the gummint is trying to rein in the out-of-control costs at places like ERAU and UND.

Kinda ironical if you think about it.

Well, let that be lesson #1 that, in the military, all "contracts" are one way only: you always have to uphold your end, but Uncle Same can change his mind, change the rules, change anything he pleases at any time and with no recourse.

That's the way it was when people are on active duty, and it remains that way after leaving the service. To think otherwise is folly.

I'm working toward a retirement here in a couple years, and a lot of my post-retirement plans build that monthly retirement check into them, but you can bet that my plans also include a plan for if the Gov't defaults on that promise and I get nothing. That's what we do in the military, BTW...make backup plans for when things don't go right (combat standard).

Don't get me wrong, that is a crappy deal to have to handle -- I'm not just saying "suck it up and press on, Soldier" -- and I sympathize with the fact that it is an enormous change of plans. I know my first post sounded a lot more harsh than that...

In no way am I bashing ERAU, thats not who I am, but you can do a year of tuition and fly for a year at UND for around or less than 35K. So getting your ratings and going to school with the 9/11 GI bill is still not out of the question.

Yeah but what bugs me is that I can goto a public university with the same program and the state cap applies. State caps dont apply to private universities now.

Actually, along with this change comes the removal of state caps for public schools. Find a public university with a flight program and transfer into it.

Actually, along with this change comes the removal of state caps for public schools. Find a public university with a flight program and transfer into it.

There are tons of state schools that do it. Ohio State, Western Michigan, North Dakota, Southern Illinois, Perdue, Illinois and Alaska Anchorage off the top of my head. There have to be a few in Florida as well.

Sounds like the gummint is trying to rein in the out-of-control costs at places like ERAU and UND.

Kinda ironical if you think about it.

I agree. Sort of. I just wish they would have given private universities the chance to exclusively lower prices to vets before passing the thing.

I agree. Sort of. I just wish they would have given private universities the chance to exclusively lower prices to vets before passing the thing.

Riddle would have a mess if they did that, and the students at the school found out. I respect what the military does, but as an alumni of the school, I just don't see a single reason to give prior service military a lower price on tuition.

I used my benefits in 2000 for both school and 141 through Comm/ME and that was less than 50K. Of course tuition and flight costs have skyrocketed and I had to be rather cost conscious. I was also able to do them independently of each other, college was college, flight school was flight school. I guess that isn't an option now. Why pay extra money for a University flight program when fundamentally I can learn 90% of the same stuff for the cost of a few texts and some time spent online. I don't need a $1200 3 credit class on WX. Not knocking Riddle, I realize the course offerings are wide ranging and they offer more than just a glorified ground school. $45k a year seems a pretty penny for an aviation degree though. Maybe it will place some pressure on Uni flight schools to hold down runaway expenses though I doubt it. No idea what the current GI Bill promise is but I'm on your side that it's just plain wrong and they honor what they promised you and grandfather you in.

Even though this post is over 4 years old, I feel it is my civic duty to let you all know that those of us who were at Riddle from Fall 2010-Spring 2011 semesters were in fact grandfathered in. I am a prime example of that. I got all of my flight training paid for. Thank you Uncle Sam!

Back