Republic to Operate 12 Embraer E170 Jets for Midwest!

Just out of curiousity...who flies 170's for 50 seat pay?

Without question RAH FOs do, it's one pay rate across the board for all FOs. I would argue the captains do as well, looking at their pay at my longevity they make $1/hr more vs my 50 seat rate. Or in their case it's about $3/hr more vs their 50 seat rate. To me that's not much of a difference and the company is the benefactor, not the pilot who makes maybe $3,000/yr more off the deal.

You think the revenue that RAH brings in off of the 170/5 vs their ERJ/CRJ only warrants $3,000yr more for captains and nothing more for FOs? Puleaaase.

More Massive Cuts for Midwest
Katie DeLong
MILWAUKEE - Midwest's spokesman says this a new day for the airline.

The pilots union calls it catastrophic.

Bottom line, this is a major change for Milwaukee's hometown airline.

Midwest is getting rid of most of their Boeing 717's and replacing them with Embraer 170's. The planes are smaller and they won't be flown by Midwest pilots. That job is temporarily outsourced to a company called Republic Airways.

Midwest spokesman Mike Brophy said, "We're not doing this lightly, but I think what people need to realize is this allows us to be a viable airline moving forward."

The result -- another 125 pilots laid off. Some 120 flight attendants and a couple dozen maintenance workers will also be furloughed.

Greg Uselmann of the Airline Pilots Association said, "It's a devastating announcement."

Uselmann doesn't believe they'll ever get those jobs back. "We believe that their decision is to slowly dismantle the airline and outsource it to a lower cost carrier with service that won't be up to the standards that the Milwaukee community has come to expect."

Midwest says despite big cuts in planes and staff, their schedule shouldn't change too greatly and passengers shouldn't feel much of an impact.

The deal does bring in $60 million in new capitol. Money that could keep the airline in business.

"It's good for Midwest airlines and I think that means it's good for the community even though that means there will be some short term pain," Brophy explained.

The airline is also starting a $15 fee for first checked bag and increasing in the second checked bag fee from $20 to $25, effective immediately for travel starting Oct. 21. There will be some exemptions, including active duty military personnel.

Also Wednesday, Midwest Airlines got a huge influx of cash to keep it afloat. We're talking about $60 million in financing. It will keep the company out of bankruptcy for now.

Midwest admits they're behind in payments to airports…money they owe for things like renting the gate space. This huge influx of cash will help Midwest pay some of those bills, including money they say they owe to the Milwaukee airport for gate space.

The Cookie Palace at its best...:rolleyes:

Timmy still gets his 2x2 seating. I wonder if the 170s will be advertisedd as "All Midwest Class" aircraft.

What is the status of the Skywest flying? I think the last I heard was that Midwest owed then a few mil$ and they had 10 or so aircraft.

If that is so, then Miniwest Airlines will offer 9 717s, 10 CRJ 200s, and 12 E170s. Is that really an airline?

TH...what an idiot.

More Massive Cuts for Midwest
Katie DeLong
MILWAUKEE - Midwest's spokesman says this a new day for the airline

Uselmann doesn't believe they'll ever get those jobs back. "We believe that their decision is to slowly dismantle the airline and outsource it to a lower cost carrier with service that won't be up to the standards that the Milwaukee community has come to expect."

Well, I guess this guy hasn't payed much attention to Republic Airways or the type of service we provide. I mean dooode...we're the 2008 Regional Airline of the YEAR!!! Don't knock our service yo, cuz at Republic, we do it better.

Well, I guess this guy hasn't payed much attention to Republic Airways or the type of service we provide. I mean dooode...we're the 2008 Regional Airline of the YEAR!!! Don't knock our service yo, cuz at Republic, we do it better.

I assume you meant to tag that with sarcasm? :)

So let me get this right, 125 MORE cuts and only 9 B717's being flown by Midwest guys? Thus 125 plus the 150 means 275 pilots on the street. And barely over 125 of midwest own guys flying their own planes? Thus 12 RAH planes out number the amount of planes midwest will have of their own, and you throw into that the 9 or some Skywest operates. I really hope the Midwest guys go down fighting. Hell I rather see the company go TU then to see this happen and set this as a standard.

Lastly you read what they said about this money. This is money that COULD keep midwest in business. So what's this mean for BB and RAH? If they go under much like Fronter is expected to do as well you all lose that money? Because after selling assets and paying off their debts in order RAH would be the last on that list in a court. Just doesnt make sense.

I assume you meant to tag that with sarcasm? :)

So let me get this right, 125 MORE cuts and only 9 B717's being flown by Midwest guys? Thus 125 plus the 150 means 275 pilots on the street. And barely over 125 of midwest own guys flying their own planes? Thus 12 RAH planes out number the amount of planes midwest will have of their own, and you throw into that the 9 or some Skywest operates. I really hope the Midwest guys go down fighting. Hell I rather see the company go TU then to see this happen and set this as a standard.

Lastly you read what they said about this money. This is money that COULD keep midwest in business. So what's this mean for BB and RAH? If they go under much like Fronter is expected to do as well you all lose that money? Because after selling assets and paying off their debts in order RAH would be the last on that list in a court. Just doesnt make sense.

Yes, I was very sarcastic with that post. :)

According to some press releases, Midwest will furlough something like 300 pilots. This just sucks. If Midwest pilots picket, I may have to fly out there on furlough and join them, because they are getting the full on rectal pushing.

RAH planes will outnumber Midwest aircraft. RAH pilots outnumber Midwest pilots greatly. The deal doesn't make a whole lot of business sense because Midwest is a sinking ship. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense unless you understand RAH's very own Mr. Bedford.

Mr. Bedford, while a cut throat business man, is a VERY good business man. He has a history of making smart business decisions and I have no doubts that he would get into this deal unless growth and more money were on the other end of it. He blatently crossed our contract with not saying a word to the Union. He flew under the radar screen to work this deal. I have a gut feeling that Bedford just may be positioning Republic to basically take over Midwest. This would open up mid-western market and expanding RAH across the nation. We have pilots that fly to Brazil to pick up new aircraft and they are constantly being told that RAH has firm orders on 190's.

Word is that Midwest management would like to see the company outsourced, or non-exsistant all together. Its obvious in their decisions. This is all far fetched speculating, but I wouldn't put any of it past Bedford and what he will go after for this company. He just might be counting on the fact that Midwest pilots won't cave on their contract and RAH basically ends up doing all of the Midwest flying. Who knows, but its ugly and I'm glad I'm furloughed.

I believe the Skywest planes are already going bye-bye. It will only be the 9 717s and 12 replacement jets.

Exactly. And what do you think will happen if the Midwest pilots refuse to cave on a contract? Midwest will basically be operated by Republic Airways, and I bet it wouldn't be long before Midwest Airlines became part of Republic. It would be a hostile take over like never before.

Exactly. And what do you think will happen if the Midwest pilots refuse to cave on a contract? Midwest will basically be operated by Republic Airways, and I bet it wouldn't be long before Midwest Airlines became part of Republic. It would be a hostile take over like never before.

Isnt this what BB wants? Polar any input?

Midwest is losing money, I don't see how Republic would WANT to trade guaranteed money making over "at risk" flying. In reality isn't this just a way to put their Frontier 170's to work? Parking them in PIT has sure got to cost a lot of money.

Also if Midwest goes TU (sure looks like it) chances are Republic has tied that loan to certain assets, much like a DIP loan.

I believe the Skywest planes are already going bye-bye. It will only be the 9 717s and 12 replacement jets.

Haven't heard anything concrete yet, but it wouldn't surprise me. Nor would I lose any sleep over it. Sounds like we need to bail on this operation altogether.

Hey people rather then pissing on each other here, which is NOT going to fix this why don’t you guys try talking about what CAN be done to prevent this?
Saying "refuse to fly the airplane" doesn't work, unless it is struck work as was mentioned. We are all here on this site for the same reason, yeah?

The only time a group will get what it wants is with solidarity. What’s going on here and other places is exactly what MANAGMENT wants! When you all hate each other, argue, name call, flip each other off, etc you are falling right into managements play book!

Without solidarity you fall.

I worked for a company that had 18000 employees. had been in existence for about 70 years when they closed their doors. w/o the slightest warning...ON LABOR DAY!

The company had done there best for years to create problems with the workforce and it worked. It was cutthroat even at the labor level.

In the end everyone suffered, and still do. the hole time they (management) was creating the problems they were building a non-union company that is still in existence today, and is now almost as big as the parent company WAS.

Most of you guys are paying dues to someone, what are your union leaders saying?
Just my cent and half worth!

I'm not taking any sides here on this one yet. I simply do not know enough about what's going on, how it's going to go on, or anything. However, would this be the first hostile take-over of an airline?

Isnt this what BB wants? Polar any input?

Apparently according to further information on the deal, Republic has the notes on the remaining 9 717's as part of securing the deal, thats more than 50% of Midwest's assests. Why the hell would Bedford go in on this other than the fact that he might end up owning Midwest Airlines and their assets. This is a very fishy deal. I guess we just wait and see.

Side note: I went fishing on a stream early this morning and caught 3 nice sized Brook trout! This furloughing thing just might wear on me....:D

Hey people rather then pissing on each other here, which is NOT going to fix this why don’t you guys try talking about what CAN be done to prevent this?

You are right. Sorry if I came across like a jackarse in my previous posts. I wish the best for those at RAH and Midwest. RAH has a great pilot group (even though Lloyd is on the seniority list there)

We need to stop this whipsawing.

Once again I am sorry.

Your right. Sorry if I came across like a jackarse in my previous posts. I wish the best for those at RAH and Midwest.

We need to stop this whipsawing.

Once again I am sorry.

We love you Mark. And I agree, we need to stop this whipsawing. Unfortunately my friend, this industry is so divided that I don't think anything will ever be done. Until the pilots form a huge Union together, we're all just pawns.

I'm ashamed to be a RAH pilot right now. Again though, this deal is so early in the works that its tough to say what will happen. We just need to wait and see.

Lloyd, I agree with you my friend. Initially this looks as though its going to paint us Republic pilots with a bad name, but we just have to wait.

Side note x2 - I just put a 25hp 2 stroke Mercury outboard on a home made 12' duck boat. I'm going to test run this thing on the river today. I might die, because this boat is going to go so friggin fast its going to fly. Please send your regards to my family after they find my remains in the tree tops.

Side note: I went fishing on a stream early this morning and caught 3 nice sized Brook trout! This furloughing thing just might wear on me....:D

Sweet! :)

(I wonder if I get cell phone receptoin at my favorite fishing spot - on reserve today!)

Apparently according to further information on the deal, Republic has the notes on the remaining 9 717's as part of securing the deal, thats more than 50% of Midwest's assests. Why the hell would Bedford go in on this other than the fact that he might end up owning Midwest Airlines and their assets. This is a very fishy deal. I guess we just wait and see.

Hmmm. I've heard from a former RAH and fellow JCers that BB has always wanted to run his own airline. Not a regional but a major. Perhaps this is part of his master plan who knows. But I'd have to look over bankruptcy laws and I am not the most up to date on this; but it would appear even if they had notes on the 717's if Midwest did not own them then they'd still have to go back to the leasers. In addition any assest would have to be split up and paid off. Again I just know the basics of Business Law as far as Corp/Partnernships go. But this is too advance. I'm sure BB has his master plan, just all seems odd!

Where they hell you catching trout! I'm sick and tired of bass right now I'd go for something different! Although every time the bass are fun to bring in!

Back