Republic Files Chapter 11

Sucks for the pilot group. Couldn't care less about the members of upper management for allowing contract negotiations to go on forever. Hopefully for the senior pilots the company will pull through. The newer guys should be fine as everyone is hiring now.

My only advice for the pilots there is keep calm. Try not to get too stressed out, but I know that is difficult to do. Dust off your resumes and get your aps out there asap. Just don't do anything rash. Start networking and getting in touch with whoever you know at other carriers or other operations. May be time to call in some favors if you are owed any. Lots of companies hiring right now, so start looking.

If anyone has ever been at an airline that has filed for a BK, it's never pretty and it's very stressful. It's damn awful, in truth. The uncertainty is crap. The outcome could be positive or negative- I've seen it go both ways. It's just too soon to tell in this situation and how it will all play out eventually.

Time to support the pilots no matter what you think of the employer. If anyone has friends working there, see if you can help them with advice or getting an interview, interview prep, help them with their cover letter and resume, or whatever. Let them know you are there to support them and listen to them. Help where and how you can. They don't need to feel isolated and lost on top of everything else. Show some unity and sympathy for them. This b.s. has and can happen to almost anyone in their career, sadly. So be there for them.

If all else fails and you need to look at/consider a 135 business that is decent for a time, then do that. I am truly sorry this happened. Be strong and keep your attitude as positive as possible and don't panic. Don't get caught up in the rumor mill from hell, but don't bury your head in the sand either. Make a smart move, not a desperate one. I sincerely wish all of you a better outcome and best of luck.

Last edited:
Does this mean that the new pay scales will be wiped clean and back to the original contract?

So would this be another good example, of why its a bad idea to be a lifer at a regional?

Perhaps...perhaps not. I'm sure every pilot that was furloughed and lost his/her retirement at American, Delta and United in the early/middle 2000s could tell us that even working at a major may not provide us with the safety net which some dream exists....

So would this be another good example, of why its a bad idea to be a lifer at a regional?

At the risk of pissing off a number of friends and readers of JC, ya gots to move up the food chain.

Stability at all levels of the profession is a panacea, however, I'd heavily warn against long term career plans at a carrier where the paint doesn't match the paycheck.

Does this mean that the new pay scales will be wiped clean and back to the original contract?
They won't kill the pay scales. If they go after anything it will be the background stuff such as DH pay, retirement, ect. The need the high at scale to compete. Sadly the pay scale is one of the few things new pilots look at.

I see a greater chance of the RAA using RAH as a martyr to their cause to kill the ATP rule.

I wonder if something similar to what happened at 9E is happening, except without a merger.
Company signs expensive pilot contract, hoping to negotiate with the mainline carriers to pay for it.
Since the mainline carriers won't pay more, the company declares bankruptcy.
Soon after they're bought by a mainline carrier.

Will they try and use this to relieve themselves of some of the flying contracts they have?
Of course. I fully expect their E145 fleet to be parked by the end of their restructuring. I also expect some United contracts to be renegotiated as they seem to have the worst terms. United simply doesn't want to pay their regionals.

Just another Bryan Bedford train wreck. I don't know who is worse.....Bedford, Orenstein or Hulas? Who would win a ultimate death match!?

Derek

I think you need to look up panacea.

Truth, I used the word incorrectly, but you know what I'm getting at.

Is it right that you can't make a stable career at a regional, nope.

But if you look at what the majors are doing in terms of "insourcing" flying, it's going to be a much, much different industry in another five years.

At the risk of pissing off a number of friends and readers of JC, ya gots to move up the food chain.

Stability at all levels of the profession is a panacea, however, I'd heavily warn against long term career plans at a carrier where the paint doesn't match the paycheck.

Some guys got stuck at the regionals, by no choice of their own (9/11, The Great Recession, age 65). I would say this is a good example of why when you select one you want to work for, you had better pick one that has staying power, a good contract, and has consistently done well, in case that ends up being you.

Back