Remembering Ben

That's difficult to read though it does make me want to be a better husband to my wife.

Thanks for posting it.

Indeed..

It is weird, I never met the guy in person, but every time I see the RIP signature that a member here has, I feel a little sad for the loss that not only our community endured, but for his family as well.

It is a damn shame that those girls don't get the chance to grow up under the protection and guidance of a man like that.

John and I are in Utah for a couple of days so we took the opportunity this morning to go and pay our respects to Ben.

It was extremely emotional, and still a year later, quite gut wrenching.

Ugh that was sad to read. He must of been a really great guy. I remember last year sitting in Springdale, AR reading about this happening. It was tough to hop into my 210 and fly home. I give his wife great respect for how well she is dealing with her loss. When I lost my dad when I was younger it was just the worst. I hope she is able to help her kids remember their dad everyday.

CLear skies Ben, I may not have known you but I know you were a great guy. You are certainly missed.

Their blog is both touching and tough to read, but Ginny sounds like an amazing woman. If there is another donation this year, count me in.

People who gripe about their everyday life need to read this and have a real reality check. I was just griping 10 minutes ago about my problems, 2 mid terms in 1 day today. After reading this it just completely changes your perspective on everything. I never knew Ben on these boards because I wasn't around yet, but you guys sure talk about him like a champ and I am sure he is every bit of it you guys say he was.

Reading that blog is pretty rough, but It is something people need to read in order to realize that there are much bigger problems in life, like losing someone like Ben. I would love to know about the donation stuff if you guys throw one together.

Ben,

Tonight is the first night I have really sat down and read some of the Blog you and your wife have put together. Up until now I have just passed over the Stickied posts about Ben Hill, never really understanding who you were. Tonight things changed a little for me, the blog you left and the love you had for your family makes me not only want to be a better husband and father, but a better person. Thanks for watching over all of us and impacting our lives even after you have passed on. You are a great man!

Oh, wow. It's been a long time since I've posted here, but I definitely remember Ben. Deepest condolences to all who were close to him.

I know this is late coming, but I recently came back to jetcareers and stumbled onto this thread. I was fortunate enough to know Ben personally. I was a fellow flight instructor, and a friend. I attendended his funeral. I just want to say that I miss him, and that there isn't a week go by that as I continue to instruct my students that his accident and the scenario that led up to it doesn't cross my mind. I do my best to teach my students that things can happen and you need to be prepared even with the shortest of flights. Always have a way out in mind. I know Ben did, because you can hear the excitment in his voice if you ever have listened to the tape of his last moments. He knew he was fine, and was excited to be in the scenario he was in. He had it, and he knew it and that was his chance to prove it. In hind sight a little shorter, a little longer he would have been fine. The chances of what actually happened are so minute that it oddly gives me comfort that it tragically was his time. I still hold Ben up there as one of the top aviators I have ever met. He was a cocky ass, because he knew everything about everything, and he loved to prove it. The funny thing is, he always did. I never knew him to be wrong. This is far from overdue. But I just wanted to say I miss my friend Ben. I hope that his wife and kids are well. I wish you were still here Ben.

She still sporadically maintains the blog. There hasn't been a post since November, though.

I didn't know either of them. Sure looked like a great couple, with great kids. He seemed like quite the fella, based on what people here have said, and after reading through some of the blog posts. So sad. Especially her post about the day's events. A casual good-bye. "See ya." You just never know when it will be your last. Love your S.O.'s well, everyone.

You just never know when it will be your last. Love your S.O.'s well, everyone.

I make it a point to hug and kiss my wife and kids every time I head out the door. I didn't know Ben either, but I often think of him when I leave to go teach. Not to be overly dramatic, as I know I'm not going off to war, but it's a good reminder to make time count and let people know what they mean, not hold on to grudges, and enjoy the little moments.

Back