Remember that article in Flying mag about Gulfstream?

Looks as if it is simply just a reworked publicity brochure. Ms. Wallace's email inbox must be bursting at the seams with angry emails.

I find it interesting, though, that they have Garmin 400s in the 1900s.

Why is it so strange they have GNS 400's? My old company also had them in the 1900 as it allowed us to conduct GPS approaches.

I guess it was easier to get them certified under TC than some other GPS

That article stank. Someone left the issue in the cockpit today and I read it and seethed all the way from ORD to CID.

How much advertising did Gulfstream have to buy to get that POS positive puff piece about "buying yourself a jet job" advertisement (hidden as an informative article) in the magazine.

I will never subscribe or buy another issue of Flying magazine again.

That article was a huge disservice to the pilot group as a whole - especially people starting out their careers and/or looking for a path to the regionals. The publishers and any pilot-contributor to Flying should be ashamed of themselves. (especially the ones who are professional pilots)

I've worked hard and sacrificed alot "paying my dues" and honing my skills to get where I am today and it is insulting to the time and service that all of us as a whole have spent learning and practicing our craft that you can just head into a airline and buy a right seat job to circumvent the essential apprentiship so that you are a pilot - not just a guy that "watches George" fly the plane all day.

A hearty - "SHAME" for the editors and publisher of Flying.

We should flood them with letters - or maybe peanuts.

If you dont like the article or the idea of selling "time building" at a part 121 airline then write the author, magazine, and AOPA. If they get enough letters they may listen.

Why is it so strange they have GNS 400's? My old company also had them in the 1900 as it allowed us to conduct GPS approaches.

I guess it was easier to get them certified under TC than some other GPS
Well, it isn't so much that particular model GPS but rather the fact that an airline 1900 has any type of IFR certified GPS.

They better have something in there that makes that thing /G if their FOs are paying for time. :sarcasm:

Get over yourselves. Not everyone needs to do things the way you did it. If they have an extra 30 grand to continue their training then more power to them. Should a hospital pay for undergrads to get their doctorate? Consider yourselves lucky that you aren't paying for your airline training but dont hate on those that do. Besides the fact that everyone who received their certificates outside the military has paid for their flight training and those in the military paid in other nonfinancial ways. Just because you stopped at commercial/instructor and they kept going certainly doesn't make them bad people nor does it make GFA a bad company.

When you flame me and call me names, because thats the only thing a few of you on here do lately, for having an opinion, just remember that there is more ways to look at things then your way.

and btw, yes i'm in fort lauderdale, but no i'm not in GFA.

I wrote Lane a nice letter about the article and my thoughts on Gulfstream. This type of crap almost makes me want to discontinue subscribing to Flying magazine. Advertisements are one thing, but a full article with nothing but propaganda written by a regular columnist of the magazine is going too far.

It will be interesting to see if they publish any letters to the editor about the article next month.

Get over yourselves. Not everyone needs to do things the way you did it. If they have an extra 30 grand to continue their training then more power to them. Should a hospital pay for undergrads to get their doctorate? Consider yourselves lucky that you aren't paying for your airline training but dont hate on those that do. Besides the fact that everyone who received their certificates outside the military has paid for their flight training and those in the military paid in other nonfinancial ways. Just because you stopped at commercial/instructor and they kept going certainly doesn't make them bad people nor does it make GFA a bad company.

When you flame me and call me names, because thats the only thing a few of you on here do lately, for having an opinion, just remember that there is more ways to look at things then your way.

and btw, yes i'm in fort lauderdale, but no i'm not in GFA.

This topic has been beat to death on here. Do a little reading in some of the archived topics (mind numbing topics). Comparing Gulfstream to the military is a joke right??

Just because you stopped at commercial/instructor and they kept going certainly doesn't make them bad people nor does it make GFA a bad company.

Look at it this way:

How about I show up where you work, and offer to pay your employer 30 grand to do your job for a year? You cool with that?

This is what many professional pilots feel that "gulfstream academy" students are/were doing. Paying for training is one thing, but these people pay for time in the right seat in addition to that.

Exactly. ^^

That and they used the phrase...

"Instead of flying 172s, our students are getting experience flying large turboprop aircraft, and dealing with the everyday airline environment of passengers, captains, short hops and long hours,"

...and they never say that hey, we will pay you a lower per hour than a CFI as well.

Good god.

I've had my argument with the PFJ people...

Get over yourselves. Not everyone needs to do things the way you did it. If they have an extra 30 grand to continue their training then more power to them.

I agree, not everybody will (or should) go through training the same way. Depending upon circumstances, we all do things a little differently while hoping to achieve the same end result (a flying job). If after obtaining their basic pilot certificates one chooses to spend an additional $30k on training, I could care less. Additional training would fall in the category of buying flight time in a rental airplane, getting additional ratings (helicopter, sea plane, etc.), flying across the country, and so on.

Additional training has absolutely nothing to do with Gulfstream. GTA is an airline that requires two pilots sitting upfront in a Beech 1900 to perform scheduled passenger service. These would be known as airline jobs. The problem is that the pilot sitting in the right seat at GTA is paying the airline to sit there! The fact that they are given a $15/hr refund does not mean they are getting paid. They don't even get a real type rating (a SIC type rating is worthless), and they are contributing a huge sum of money to a business ran by and promoted by airline scabs (they are even littered throughout their promotional videos).

Exactly. ^^

That and they used the phrase...

"Instead of flying 172s, our students are getting experience flying large turboprop aircraft, and dealing with the everyday airline environment of passengers, captains, short hops and long hours,"

...and they never say that hey, we will pay you a lower per hour than a CFI as well.

Good god.

I've had my argument with the PFJ people...

Ha ha, that is so true. One time when I was flight instructing I was showing a student how to get flight following with Palm Beach approach. The student was a little slow, but not bad and approach was being patient. After our transmission, some D/B jumps on the freq "Yeah, this is Gulf Flight XXX, just trying to get a word in edgewise, blah blah blah". Very cocky and condescending. At the time I just smiled and laughed, knowing that I was sitting in the little 172 making more than twice what that numbskull was getting as his hourly refund to sit in the right seat.

Back