Remember that article in Flying mag about Gulfstream?

People like him don't exist at every airline? You have one experience and you lump every pilot at GFA in that category. And again with the monetary remarks. See my response above.

Nah... I used to fly all over south FL doing charters, and I've got lots of stories about Gulfstream guys and girls acting like dopes. I don't think I've ever heard even one airline (regional or otherwise) do and say the stupid crap that I heard from GTA on a regular basis.

Regarding the monetary thing, it seems you don't get it. The guys at Gulfstream are paying to sit in the right seat. When I was instructing, I was getting paid to sit in the right seat. Every other regional airline pays their pilots to sit in the right seat. Really, this isn't that hard of a concept to follow:
Flying job = paycheck (as in, a paycheck to you, not the other way around).

If you CFI'd and someone else chose to fly dad's airplane for a few hundred hours, well good for them. I wish i had a dad that had a airplane i could build some time in. Doesn't make them bad just makes the way you did it more worthwhile to you.

Who says there's something wrong with flying Dad's airplane to build time? Nobody here did. I'm assuming you aren't comparing GTA to flying Dad's airplane, because that would just be laughable...

Originally Posted by Roger, Roger
Really? Really? They're running their PFJ program with paid pilots on furlough?

"Scum" doesn't go nearly far enough in describing Gulfstream's management.
Disgusting, isn't it? What a joke.

Of course the line is to some degree arbitrary. That said, it's been set, and Gulfstream "20th passengers" are on the other side of it. Naturally, you're free to ignore the line, just like I'm free to have a very long memory.

More power to them. There are individuals that give free instruction. There are ceo's that work for free or a dollar in the case of the guy now running aig. So where are you going with this? If you can afford it then, again, more power to you.

Are you just going to say "more power to you" if I show up where you work and buy your job from your employer just because I have the money to blow? Personally I don't just stand there and say "thank you sir, may I have another" when someone kicks me in the nether regions, I express my displeasure in an appropriate manner. There's no excuse for a CFI working for free either, unless it's for charity. Do you think the CEO of AIG is working for free because he loves the job or "is building CEO time"? Doubt it, he's already made millions and he knows he will eventually make millions more as long as that company can suckle the government teet.

Yeah, my company used to fly those 1900's that gulfstream flies around. We had to pay for training too, but at least we started getting paid once we were flying passengers around in them. That's all I ask of "professional" pilots. Get paid something when you provide a service, please don't do it for free. It makes it very difficult for the rest of us to make a living.

That's not to say that I go out of my way to be rude to gulfstream pilots. I can't say that I've been impressed with the safety record of their alumni though. I only try to educate newcomers on the pitfalls of these types of operators.

Yeah MikeD, but we've gone 8+ years without being able to strike at all, though I'm sure some would have liked to....

Sure the name doesn't exactly apply... but they are something. They probably would have scabbed too if Bush let the airlines strike, but that is just supposition.

That's a fair answer, partner. Agree.

Some people are just a little slow Craig.
Woah, not cool at all. Not once did I lower myself to name calling of any of you guys who disagree with me. Let's keep this as a casual discussion.

Nah... I used to fly all over south FL doing charters, and I've got lots of stories about Gulfstream guys and girls acting like dopes. I don't think I've ever heard even one airline (regional or otherwise) do and say the stupid crap that I heard from GTA on a regular basis.

Regarding the monetary thing, it seems you don't get it. The guys at Gulfstream are paying to sit in the right seat. When I was instructing, I was getting paid to sit in the right seat. Every other regional airline pays their pilots to sit in the right seat. Really, this isn't that hard of a concept to follow:
Flying job = paycheck (as in, a paycheck to you, not the other way around).
Well I can say I have heard many non-GFA pilots say dumb/non-professional things on the radio. That doesn't mean that it's not possible GFA pilots don't do it more often but I personally haven't noticed it. And I instruct out of the fort lauderdale area. I also get it that they pay for their training. That isn't a hard concept to understand. But they also do get paid once they start on the line. Granted it's along the lines of Great Lakes pay which for the uninformed is pretty terrible but c'est le vie. They aren't flying the equipment that others making more money are flying(generally) and the pay scale industry wide is pretty awful these days.

Who says there's something wrong with flying Dad's airplane to build time? Nobody here did. I'm assuming you aren't comparing GTA to flying Dad's airplane, because that would just be laughable...
I was just throwing another example of doing it differently than most. And if one hasn't already gathered from my responses I'm all for individuality. We are all pilots and have the same thought process at the heart of it, we love to be with the birds(as long as they dont get too close).

Slow, and/or desperately trying to justify their actions or future plans.
Yeah, umm, I would never go to gulfstream, nor pay for a type rating. But I also don't fault those that do. Different positions in life.
Then you're in good company. And you did the "Master of the Multiquote" proud.

Nicely done.
Thank you, thank you. :D

Are you just going to say "more power to you" if I show up where you work and buy your job from your employer just because I have the money to blow? Personally I don't just stand there and say "thank you sir, may I have another" when someone kicks me in the nether regions, I express my displeasure in an appropriate manner. There's no excuse for a CFI working for free either, unless it's for charity. Do you think the CEO of AIG is working for free because he loves the job or "is building CEO time"? Doubt it, he's already made millions and he knows he will eventually make millions more as long as that company can suckle the government teet.

Yeah, my company used to fly those 1900's that gulfstream flies around. We had to pay for training too, but at least we started getting paid once we were flying passengers around in them. That's all I ask of "professional" pilots. Get paid something when you provide a service, please don't do it for free. It makes it very difficult for the rest of us to make a living.

That's not to say that I go out of my way to be rude to gulfstream pilots. I can't say that I've been expressed with the safety record of their alumni though. I only try to educate newcomers on the pitfalls of these types of operators.

The parts I bolded are all I'm trying to get across. I wouldn't be happy if I lost my job because someone came it and did it for free. But I wouldn't go out of my way to be rude to the individual either. Plus these guys at gulfstream arent taking jobs from anyone. They aren't showing up at another airline and saying hey ill work for free. The furloughed pilots would still be furloughed right now since they would have had a certain number of pilots on staff that they wouldn't need right now. You can't fault gfa for the economy. And again these guys pay for their training and then they get paid for working if offered a job.

I wouldn't be happy if I lost my job because someone came it and did it for free. But I wouldn't go out of my way to be rude to the individual either. Plus these guys at gulfstream arent taking jobs from anyone. They aren't showing up at another airline and saying hey ill work for free. The furloughed pilots would still be furloughed right now since they would have had a certain number of pilots on staff that they wouldn't need right now. You can't fault gfa for the economy. And again these guys pay for their training and then they get paid for working if offered a job.

Are you SURE you dont pay to fly for GIA???

I would be rude if someone got my job and didnt get paid for it. I would go out of my way to be rude to the person if they came in an BOUGHT my job... Im sure a majority of people here feel this way.

GIA has furloughed pilots that used to get paid while there are plenty of empty seats for these PFT scabs to sit in.... That constitutes taking someones job in my book.

I would be rude if someone got my job and didnt get paid for it. I would go out of my way to be rude to the person if they came in an BOUGHT my job... Im sure a majority of people here feel this way.

GIA has furloughed pilots that used to get paid while there are plenty of empty seats for these PFT scabs to sit in.... That constitutes taking someones job in my book.

Yeah I used to feel that way until I started having to interact with streamers on a regular basis. They always love to come over and drool over the RJ if we see them at a common outstation. A lot of those guys have SJS bad, that's probably why they paid 30k just to ride shotgun in the 1900. I am just sorry for their ignorance. If I was furloughed directly as a result of their actions, I would probably be a little less mellow about it.

They're sort of like a mentally challenged kid that comes over and takes a dump in your pool. Sure you don't like it, but what good is beating them up going to do? It probably won't dissuade the next mentally challenged kid from doing the same thing.

They're sort of like a mentally challenged kid that comes over and takes a dump in your pool. Sure you don't like it, but what good is beating them up going to do? It probably won't dissuade the next mentally challenged kid from doing the same thing.

:rotfl::yup: - those darned pool poopers ruin my day!

You give me thirty grand and you can fly from the left seat. Alone. I'll be in Tijuana.

TJ is for weenies. Jaurez is where its at. I have almost 200 hours, and of that, less than 5 multi - 3 in a 310, 1 in a Travel Air, and 1 in a Seneca. Would you sign me off in the MU2 right away?

What is being rude going to do for you? Especially since whats going on at gfa has no effect on you whatsoever. If someone did come to my flight school and said they would do my job for free and i was put out on the street, i would be upset, but the guy didnt come in saying Ha Ha, im going to screw this guy over and make him lose his job and its not even close to whats going on at gulfstream. In gfa's case, no one bought someone elses job. Think about it, if there wasnt a flight training facility attached to the airline then all the trainees would have been replaced with line/reserve pilots. the total number of pilots would have been the same number. If there was 100 students and 100 pilots as a training company then there would have been 200 pilots as an airline only company. Well the economy still would have gone down the crapper and the same number of pilots on the bottom of the list would have gotten furloughed. So no, no one stole anyones job.

TJ is for weenies. Jaurez is where its at. I have almost 200 hours, and of that, less than 5 multi - 3 in a 310, 1 in a Travel Air, and 1 in a Seneca. Would you sign me off in the MU2 right away?

For $30k I'll sign you off in the Space Shuttle. Just tell the FAA "Boris said it was ok". Luckily, my license is under an assumed name...

Back