Remember that article in Flying mag about Gulfstream?

Get over yourselves. Not everyone needs to do things the way you did it. If they have an extra 30 grand to continue their training then more power to them. Should a hospital pay for undergrads to get their doctorate? Consider yourselves lucky that you aren't paying for your airline training but dont hate on those that do. Besides the fact that everyone who received their certificates outside the military has paid for their flight training and those in the military paid in other nonfinancial ways. Just because you stopped at commercial/instructor and they kept going certainly doesn't make them bad people nor does it make GFA a bad company.

When you flame me and call me names, because thats the only thing a few of you on here do lately, for having an opinion, just remember that there is more ways to look at things then your way.

and btw, yes i'm in fort lauderdale, but no i'm not in GFA.

At least let the passengers know - my wife was booked on a Gulfstream flight until I explained to her how they run their airline (including using car parts). She immediately canceled and let me fly her to Miami instead.

Les wrote a column a year or so ago praising GIA.

Really? That's surprising, given the tenor of many of his columns.

Ah. Wait. Strike that.

I recall reading a number of his columns thinking "he has much more he wants to say - you can hear it in his voice under the surface, but can't due to editorial policy" or something.

Then again, maybe it's me wishing that. I dunno.

No, they have real pilots on furlough... they'll still take your 30k and put you in the right seat. I mean, otherwise they'd have to recall a furloughed guy and actually pay him or her money.

No, they have real pilots on furlough... they'll still take your 30k and put you in the right seat. I mean, otherwise they'd have to recall a furloughed guy and actually pay him or her money.

On the plus side, the furloughees have to be former GIA students, right? Karma is a beach.

Really? Really? They're running their PFJ program with paid pilots on furlough?

"Scum" doesn't go nearly far enough in describing Gulfstream's management.

On the plus side, the furloughees have to be former GIA students, right? Karma is a beach.
Not necessarily but probably. I know they did start hiring FOs for a while last year when things everywhere got tight. I guess in this case karma is a Beech (that you're not flying.)

I know a guy who got hired as a captain at GIA (street capt, never went through the program.) He said it was really hard as they had to make sure the captains could fly the plane by themselves, and to be able to take control if the FO did something stupid. The way he said it was every line captain was basically an IOE captain all the time.

Yeah, they do. I'm real surprised their union isn't up in arms -- but I guess GIA doesn't really provide a lot of dues money for the IBT so who cares right?

Why we don't call them scabs is beyond me.

People are out of work, yet they're paying money to do the job of those out of work. . .

Hmm. . .

People are out of work, yet they're paying money to do the job of those out of work. . .

Hmm. . .

Unrelated and this sounds bad, so at first let me preface it with I hope TSA prevails in negotiations and makes Management see reason and ends up with a killer contract.
However, I don't think HK is even interested in negotiating without being forced to. He's even worse than JO in some respects... well, maybe not. But anyway, what I wouldn't give to see TSA released to self-help...

HK would obviously ask GJ to fly the struck work... what would happen? How many would refuse?

Are you seriously upset or surprised that Flying Magazine is pumping something with the overpowering stench of BS? The entire magazine is and always has been a big shiny advertisement. Every time Beech rolls out a new Kingair with an extra 20hp a side, they practically jizz in their pants. Actual quotes (not really): "The Kingair (1950s design with bigger engines and some nice seats) GT90Z-9000 is a technological marvel, stampeeding in to the 21st century with unprecedented ease of operations, zero (projected) maintenance costs, and an awesome profile. Buy one now or you're a just some middle class nobody!" Their sole nod to discretion is occasionally throwing an accident brief with ludicrously obvious advice ("Carb heat is important...use it! *major key chord*") between five page adds for the latest "high tech" mess, or some facepalm/cringe-inducing pseudo-poetic musings from a senile "contributor". It's like the old Aesop saw about asking an crocodile for a ride. If you want to improve things, direct students, potential owners, etc to jetcareers or at least to the internet. The Magazines are horrific, bought and paid for. They always have been. I wouldn't wipe my hindquarters with any of those rags, might catch SJS.
I mean, seriously. When was the last time you read anything even remotely negative in a magazine aircraft review? "Flying has noticed that the SelfDestructo Balsa Ten Billion does tend to shed wings on occassion, but we were flying an early development prototype and are confident that CEO Max Schiester will prove correct in his prediction that these minor difficulties will be ironed out before production. Reserve spots are limited, put your deposit down today!"</br>

Hmm. . .

The term Scabs has been thrown around alot lately. Doesn't someone have to cross an established picket line and work struck work in order to be a scab in the true sense of the word?

I agree, what GIA is doing is pretty low-down and slimy.....but whats worse is that they're getting away with it because people are willing to do it and pay the money for it. And I have a hard time believing that with all the information out there about this scam, that people taking part don't know exactly what they're doing.

Yeah MikeD, but we've gone 8+ years without being able to strike at all, though I'm sure some would have liked to....

Sure the name doesn't exactly apply... but they are something. They probably would have scabbed too if Bush let the airlines strike, but that is just supposition.

I wasn't necessarily discussing the TSA/GJ issues, but more related to the retards who are paying money to do our job. A job that many people are furloughed from at GIA.

Are you seriously upset or surprised that Flying Magazine is pumping something with the overpowering stench of BS? The entire magazine is and always has been a big shiny advertisement. Every time Beech rolls out a new Kingair with an extra 20hp a side, they practically jizz in their pants. Actual quotes (not really): "The Kingair (1950s design with bigger engines and some nice seats) GT90Z-9000 is a technological marvel, stampeeding in to the 21st century with unprecedented ease of operations, zero (projected) maintenance costs, and an awesome profile. Buy one now or you're a just some middle class nobody!" Their sole nod to discretion is occasionally throwing an accident brief with ludicrously obvious advice ("Carb heat is important...use it! *major key chord*") between five page adds for the latest "high tech" mess, or some facepalm/cringe-inducing pseudo-poetic musings from a senile "contributor". It's like the old Aesop saw about asking an crocodile for a ride. If you want to improve things, direct students, potential owners, etc to jetcareers or at least to the internet. The Magazines are horrific, bought and paid for. They always have been. I wouldn't wipe my hindquarters with any of those rags, might catch SJS.
I mean, seriously. When was the last time you read anything even remotely negative in a magazine aircraft review? "Flying has noticed that the SelfDestructo Balsa Ten Billion does tend to shed wings on occassion, but we were flying an early development prototype and are confident that CEO Max Schiester will prove correct in his prediction that these minor difficulties will be ironed out before production. Reserve spots are limited, put your deposit down today!"

FLYING magazine must be getting quite desperate for subscriber's as well since I just recieved a promo in the mail stating "Professional Discount" of 83% making a one year subscription only $7. :confused:

I feel a bit like velo with this reply
This topic has been beat to death on here. Do a little reading in some of the archived topics (mind numbing topics). Comparing Gulfstream to the military is a joke right??

please tell me when i 'compared' GFA to the military. I clearly put the military folks in their own distict(deservedly so) category.

Look at it this way:

How about I show up where you work, and offer to pay your employer 30 grand to do your job for a year? You cool with that?
More power to them. There are individuals that give free instruction. There are ceo's that work for free or a dollar in the case of the guy now running aig. So where are you going with this? If you can afford it then, again, more power to you.

Exactly. ^^

That and they used the phrase...

"Instead of flying 172s, our students are getting experience flying large turboprop aircraft, and dealing with the everyday airline environment of passengers, captains, short hops and long hours,"

...and they never say that hey, we will pay you a lower per hour than a CFI as well.
Is that statement not true?
and
im pretty sure as a cfi right now im making more money then a whole bunch of fo's all over the industry, not just GFA FO's. there are cfi's out there that make more money than ANY regional FO and many first year major FO's. I guess that makes just about every airline FO a scab as some might say.

Ha ha, that is so true. One time when I was flight instructing I was showing a student how to get flight following with Palm Beach approach. The student was a little slow, but not bad and approach was being patient. After our transmission, some D/B jumps on the freq "Yeah, this is Gulf Flight XXX, just trying to get a word in edgewise, blah blah blah". Very cocky and condescending. At the time I just smiled and laughed, knowing that I was sitting in the little 172 making more than twice what that numbskull was getting as his hourly refund to sit in the right seat.
People like him don't exist at every airline? You have one experience and you lump every pilot at GFA in that category. And again with the monetary remarks. See my response above.

Yes they do, according to APC.

Mustve been nice to pay that 30k and then be shoved away.

It's business. They know from the start what they are getting themselves into. They got their training and their turbine hours which is what they went there for. Employment was never a promise. Does it suck? No more or less then it sucks for every other pilot that has the unfortunate circumstance of being on furlough.

SMART is more like it. They have found a niche and a very good one at that. Scum? Not at all.

I just don't understand why if someone does something a different way then others they are put into this category of doing it wrong. If you CFI'd and someone else chose to fly dad's airplane for a few hundred hours, well good for them. I wish i had a dad that had a airplane i could build some time in. Doesn't make them bad just makes the way you did it more worthwhile to you.

And we realize it.

What YOU call smart is what we call a scam.

And btw, how is getting PAID to go through training, say at Mesaba or some other airline the same as PAYING to go through training as in GIA???????:banghead:

Cmon man.

Back