Regional pilots are overworked, industry critics say

Status
Not open for further replies.
So union representatives and congressmen are reliable unbiased experts on this topic? Pftt...

You could listen to them, you could listen to the RAA, or you could take a moment to look over the rest regs yourself and make an educated decision as to whether a 16hr duty day with 8hrs flying (unlimited # of legs) constitutes being 'overworked'.

The worst thing about it is that pilots have not found a way to actually get paid for the "waiting time". Once it is understood that when your sitting at an airport, waiting for a plane, your at work. The body can only handle so much sleep deprievation before the brain is effective.

You could listen to them, you could listen to the RAA, or you could take a moment to look over the rest regs yourself and make an educated decision as to whether a 16hr duty day with 8hrs flying (unlimited # of legs) constitutes being 'overworked'.

Don't forget the the reduced rest.

Also 16hrs goes from 9pm to 1am. So enjoy that 0 rest "stand-up" overnight.

Here was my schedule last week. Had a 5:55 am show, worked until 5:52 pm after an 8:57 "rest" period. The next day, I was scheduled to DH to DTW at 16:43, do a TOL high speed with 7:30 on the ground (that's TOTAL, including post flight, hotel shuttle, checking in, checking out, hotel shuttle to the airport, pre-flight). Back in DTW at around 8ish. 10 hours of rest, THEN the kicker starts. DTW-FNT-DTW-TOL with the SAME 7:30 as the night before. Back in DTW around 8ish, 10 hours of "rest" with a DH home. It might not be "overworking" us, but that jacks with your sleep schedule like you wouldn't believe. Sad thing....it's totally legal.

Dressler, one of the guys quoted in there, isn't just a pilot for ExpressJet, he is (was?) the MEC Chair.

DTW to FNT and TOL? Do you get above 5,000' on those legs!? WTF Is an RJ doing flying those routes.

I hate when you get paid with duty and trip rigs. It means you're not being utilized to your full potential.

You're right. I'm just pointing out it's not a very good article because the reporter doesn't seem to know a lot about aviation and most of the "experts" it quotes aren't objective. ALPA is going to push for less hours and more pay even if there isn't a fatigue problem.

If there isn't a fatigue problem?

Have you spent one minute in a part 121 cockpit to know if there is?

Because I only spent a year there and I can tell you that there is.

If there isn't a fatigue problem?

Have you spent one minute in a part 121 cockpit to know if there is?

Because I only spent a year there and I can tell you that there is.
I'm saying its a bad article not whether or not there is a problem. I just don't think you get much insight from what a union or a congressman has to say about something. And that's the bulk of this article.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back