Regional pilots are overworked, industry critics say

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm saying its a bad article not whether or not there is a problem. I just don't think you get much insight from what a union or a congressman has to say about something. And that's the bulk of this article.

So who else is there to listen to? The company?

I hate when you get paid with duty and trip rigs. It means you're not being utilized to your full potential.

Given the above schedule, I'd LOVE to have duty rigs. Those were technically close to 14 hour duty days, but only paid at 3:45 for the "joy" of being high speeds.

Management probably knows best how to use company resources.

They know exactly how to use company resources.... until they drop dead or plow an airplane into a house due to exhaustion.

Seriously though, if a company knew how to use company resources, we wouldn't have PBS "doing it" for them. We also wouldn't be severely overstaffed in one base but understaffed in the remaining three. We wouldn't have "punished" 30 pilots by forcing them to downgrade. If they knew how to use company resources, we wouldn't be getting "denied due to staffing" during a day in which there are 20 reserves available (for a 16 airplane base).

If a company could staff probably, they wouldn't be sweating the fact they are paying 75 hours of time to guys who are flying 6 hours a month.

You definitely sound like management in the making. I suggest you go back to your business degree classes because you're not winning any points here asserting that we are overstepping our bounds in our attempt to get safety into the equation for the pilots.

I suppose you think we're overpaid.... I make $2000 a month and I'm a fairly well paid 2nd year FO at my company.

I like how you don't actually make a point you just imply that I'm wrong and you're right.

It's not that.

It's your assumption that the company is going to make the best possible decisions, and what those best possible decisions are. Operating airplanes in the commercial world isn't just about profits, it's about safety. Safety is the thing that the company will marginalize as much as possible, but you don't know it yet because you're still convinced the market will work everything out for the best.

It won't.

You'll figure it out one day when somebody threatens to fire you for taking an unairworthy airplanes somewhere.

It's not that.

It's your assumption that the company is going to make the best possible decisions, and what those best possible decisions are. Operating airplanes in the commercial world isn't just about profits, it's about safety. Safety is the thing that the company will marginalize as much as possible, but you don't know it yet because you're still convinced the market will work everything out for the best.

It won't.

You'll figure it out one day when somebody threatens to fire you for taking an unairworthy airplanes somewhere.
Air travel in this country is very safe. If it becomes a major concern passengers will pay more for a safer carrier. I know the risks when I get on an airliner.

They know exactly how to use company resources.... until they drop dead or plow an airplane into a house due to exhaustion.

Seriously though, if a company knew how to use company resources, we wouldn't have PBS "doing it" for them. We also wouldn't be severely overstaffed in one base but understaffed in the remaining three. We wouldn't have "punished" 30 pilots by forcing them to downgrade. If they knew how to use company resources, we wouldn't be getting "denied due to staffing" during a day in which there are 20 reserves available (for a 16 airplane base).

If a company could staff probably, they wouldn't be sweating the fact they are paying 75 hours of time to guys who are flying 6 hours a month.

You definitely sound like management in the making. I suggest you go back to your business degree classes because you're not winning any points here asserting that we are overstepping our bounds in our attempt to get safety into the equation for the pilots.

I suppose you think we're overpaid.... I make $2000 a month and I'm a fairly well paid 2nd year FO at my company.
Why does it always go to us versus them? If you don't like being a pilot quit already. Nobody owes you your dream job. If you think the risk of flying is too high take a train. I'm not winning points with airline pilots here but that doesn't make me wrong. Are you looking for a pilot forum where everyone sits around and circle jerks and pretends they know something about running an airline or a business?

This is a silliness. Quit while you are ahead. :D
If I have a reason to be afraid for my life I will find a safer way to travel. It's that simple. People get hysterical about this kind of thing too. How many people didn't fly after 9/11 because they thought they might be involved in a hijacking? I think peoples perception of the risk is blown way out of proportion.

It's not that.

It won't.

Forenote: I wrote a lot of crap here, and I'm gonna be pretty damn embarrassed if it is unreadable. I hope this helps Killtron.

Also worth noting, there is a compulsion for pilots to get the job done. This results in too many unairworthy airplanes flying around. The hero syndrome is also seen in American firefighters. Probably in Police Officers too.

The best way I can describe safety versus the unregulated free market is as such. Burt Rutan launched a space ship years back and was the first corporation in space (that will historically mark the advent of the space age I believe). One of my favorite Republicans said aloud and in print, "If we gave Mr. Rutan 10% of money that we give NASA, we'd colonize the moon" (best I can remember). One wise editor for AW&ST said/asked in print, something along the lines, "He's right, but we'll kill 7 out of 10 guys we send up there. What cost of life are we willing to forfeit, in order to make trillions mining asteroids?".

If you can't grab onto that, perhaps look up the history of the Postal Service when they first started mail delivery (and for years afterwards). Flying the line Vol. 1, I think that's right, anyone?

Safety is, unfortunately, in the opposite direction of the free market Killtron2000. If people really care about safety, explain to me the +40K deaths from preventable car deaths in this country. I can't tell you the number of passengers who have lined up in ugly weather saying, "We are ready to go as soon as you are"! They call it "trusting us" but what they are really doing is rationalizing taking extraordinary risks, so they can make their next flight and have time to grab the 99cent heart attack. It's just the way things are I'm afraid. I believe it's the same flaw in humanity that rationalizes driving the car home drunk so they don't have to pay $9 tomorrow morning to the cabby to drive them back.

Ack, I think you got the impression of what I was writing, but I meant "You'll figure it out one day when somebody threatens to fire you for NOT taking an unairworthy airplanes somewhere."

So you took the airplane, or being fired? Because I can tell you that I've flown some planes that I SHOULD NOT HAVE, and only realized how stupid it was after the fact.

If I have a reason to be afraid for my life I will find a safer way to travel. It's that simple. People get hysterical about this kind of thing too. How many people didn't fly after 9/11 because they thought they might be involved in a hijacking? I think peoples perception of the risk is blown way out of proportion.

Look man, B5 avatar aside, you gotta at least post where you are getting you're info or your just guessing. More precisely you are assuming the outcome you want.

So you took the airplane, or being fired? Because I can tell you that I've flown some planes that I SHOULD NOT HAVE, and only realized how stupid it was after the fact.
I called their bluff that time and told them I was delaying. I eventually quit without giving notice because of all the shenanigans that went on there at a time when they were in desperate need of pilots. Surprisingly enough that airline has never had an accident in their 30+ year history.

Look man, B5 avatar aside, you gotta at least post where you are getting you're info or your just guessing. More precisely you are assuming the outcome you want.
There was a sudden decline in travel after 9/11 which was out of proportion to the recession. Wading through articles about 9/11 on the internet to find what I'm looking for could take awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back