Reflections and Advice on the AT-SAT

Wow, this is a great find.

However, the above interpretation of the weighting of the scores is incorrect -- the precise way scores from each section are weighted isn't described in this article (unsurprisingly). Even if we knew how each section came out, we'd still need to know what figured in to them individually... for example, in the Scenarios, how much of a deduction is a separation error, how much is efficiency worth, etc etc. Table 10 is actually an ANOVA (analysis of variance).

But even though this doesn't explain how the scores are weighted, it does show a few interesting things... like that the original test was weighted so that only 62% of current controllers would receive a passing score of 70% or more.

Furthermore, it's interesting to note that the data here was taken from Academy students -- people that the FAA had already selected. And out of those, only 58.8% would have passed under the old scoring. Even under the new weighting, which we're now using, only 80% passed... meaning that one out of five people at the Academy when this data was collected would have been dropped out of the application process in the second step.

Granted, the data isn't completely perfect... as described in the "blog" in the Green Book, taking the AT-SAT in the Academy was optional -- so not everyone there took it -- and the students were under no pressure whatsoever to perform well. But still... that's lower than I would've expected.

One last stat, from Table 6. The mean score of those taking the AT-SAT was 77.86 (albeit with a huge standard deviation of 10.51). That should give some hope to those of you who were disappointed about only receiving a "Qualified" score.

Well, I am brand new to this board and was turned on to this message board by a friend of mine. This post seems to be helpful, I guess I won't know until I take the test LOL. Anyway, I take the test on 12/18 at OKC. Wish me luck guys!

Hey Everyone! I'm new here and got scheduled to do AT-SAT on Jan. 10th in LA. I just thought I would say hello and thank everyone for the advice on the test. I found a lot of the posts very helpful! Hopefully I can continue to post here as well! :nana2:

Hey Everyone! I'm new here and got scheduled to do AT-SAT on Jan. 10th in LA. I just thought I would say hello and thank everyone for the advice on the test. I found a lot of the posts very helpful! Hopefully I can continue to post here as well! :nana2:

Welcome! I hope you do well on the test. If there's one thing I would like to say it's PRACTICE the letter factory.. the fundamentals on the green book cd are a bit different from the test.. but just get used to placing letters in the box and keeping all of that flowing smoothly so it's second nature to you.

the rest is fairly easy to get by with if you have those bases covered. The questions on the real test are different but I think the key is autonomy of the operation so that you have room in your head to work with when the weird questions start to pop up.

good luck!

Yeah......

the ...... letter.....factory......

If I would have failed the MMPI it would have been because of the trauma caused by

the ...... letter.....factory......

ah well.. I am sure it will be different when I get to my facility and find out that I have to spend 6 hours of my shift putting letters in boxes.

sorting_depot2_200.jpg

ARTCC standarized newbie hazing

If your a nonpilot spend some time going over some applied math/aviation problems. They're really not very hard but if you've never seen one they can be confusing. The other part I thought was pretty tough/confusing was the comparison sections Dog is to cat as ___ is to boat. The first couple are real easy then they get significantly harder. Best of luck to all

Nofear, you'll have to let me know how the SLC center is, I'm still waiting for an announcement, but hopeful by the time the GOV does thier thing, SLC will have more room.

Quick question... I got a call a while back from a guy asking if I wanted to retake the AT-SAT... It appears that since I also applied to a PUBNAT (in addition to my CTI announcement), that I became eligible to retake it.

I politely told him that I didn't want to, as I scored a 100 on it the first time, and felt a retake would only hurt.

He, also politely, told me that a 100 was impossible to get. Yes, he said, it was graded on a scale of 100, but you can't actually get that.

I called my rep, and she said that while she's never heard of someone getting a 100 (though she doesn't ask a lot of candidates their scores), she was sure it had to be possible.

Anyone else ever get something like this, by chance?

Quick question... I got a call a while back from a guy asking if I wanted to retake the AT-SAT... It appears that since I also applied to a PUBNAT (in addition to my CTI announcement), that I became eligible to retake it.

I politely told him that I didn't want to, as I scored a 100 on it the first time, and felt a retake would only hurt.

He, also politely, told me that a 100 was impossible to get. Yes, he said, it was graded on a scale of 100, but you can't actually get that.

I called my rep, and she said that while she's never heard of someone getting a 100 (though she doesn't ask a lot of candidates their scores), she was sure it had to be possible.

I don't think so... there have been a number of people on here who said they have scored 100. You can still get answers wrong and score a 100. There is no way people that scored 100's answered every Letter Factory question correctly and didn't crash a single plane on the ATCS Scenarios.

I scored a 100 on the ATSAT and I am 100% positive that I did not miss a single question on any section other than maybe three or four questions in the Letter Factory section.

A 100 is not impossible to get especially since the FAA has curved the ATSAT in recent years.

For those of you getting ready to take the AT-SAT, there is a book that I used that nobody else has posted that I think really helps to prepare you for the math portion of the test. Since the AT-SAT does not allow you to use pen / paper on the test I figured I would go out and get a mental math book, which ended up helping immensely while taking the math portion.

http://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Menta...8401/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1239048525&sr=1-3

I bought this book at Barnes and Noble a couple months before the AT-SAT and it could be purchased online just as easily for relatively cheap. I would focus pretty much just on the sections about adding and subtracting large numbers in your head. I felt that this book gave me a little bit of an edge since I was able to calculate numbers in my head easier. Even though I have always been good at mental math, this book has some tricks most people don't know about. I was able to answer all of the math questions a couple minutes before the time ran out.

When used in conjuction with the ATC green study guide and the .PDF that Bip posted, this book should help you feel more at ease going into the math portion, which many believe is the hardest part of the test.

For those of you getting ready to take the AT-SAT, there is a book that I used that nobody else has posted that I think really helps to prepare you for the math portion of the test. Since the AT-SAT does not allow you to use pen / paper on the test I figured I would go out and get a mental math book, which ended up helping immensely while taking the math portion.

http://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Menta...8401/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1239048525&sr=1-3

I bought this book at Barnes and Noble a couple months before the AT-SAT and it could be purchased online just as easily for relatively cheap. I would focus pretty much just on the sections about adding and subtracting large numbers in your head. I felt that this book gave me a little bit of an edge since I was able to calculate numbers in my head easier. Even though I have always been good at mental math, this book has some tricks most people don't know about. I was able to answer all of the math questions a couple minutes before the time ran out.

When used in conjuction with the ATC green study guide and the .PDF that Bip posted, this book should help you feel more at ease going into the math portion, which many believe is the hardest part of the test.

The math is NOT the hardest part. The word analogies that aren't based on definitions are. Looking for letter combinations and sounds, and then those god awful visual analogies were just a chore.

The math is NOT the hardest part. The word analogies that aren't based on definitions are. Looking for letter combinations and sounds, and then those god awful visual analogies were just a chore.

Haha, that was my favorite part. I think I got 100% of those correctly. Most of them just needed to be rotated 90 degrees or flip-flopped.

Haha, that was my favorite part. I think I got 100% of those correctly. Most of them just needed to be rotated 90 degrees or flip-flopped.

I know. I was sitting there with my hands near the screen pretending rotating and what not. Probably kinda funny on video.

WOW! I just finished my AT/SAT in Dallas a few hours ago. This thread is so amazingly close to the facts, it's not even funny.:nana2: Thank you thank you. I'm excited to see what my score is. Think I did pretty decent. We'll find out.
Will say...HATED the analogies!:banghead:

Back