Reflections and Advice on the AT-SAT

i didn't read the instructions right on the ATC simulation part...the first section i only landed like half the planes and was stuck wondering why the others were just floating there. i got to the last section and re-read the rules, and ended up crashing a LOT of planes on the last section of the simulation. it got to the point where i thought i should leave because it was embarrassing, so i started laughing, and the guy next to me started laughing because i was laughing. the only part i felt good on was the one where the numbers were floating around. i absolutely killed that one. i was the first to leave, and i felt like an idiot for not studying at all. i still ended up with an 89 though...i hope i get an interview.

I'm taking the test in the morning in Daytona Beach FL thanx for your post.
Makes two of us for Daytona. Well, I took mine this morning (18th) and I have to say as an OTS person, I was relatively at ease with the exam mainly thanks to this post.

I second (or third or fourth...) a sticky for this thread. Very informative.

Now I will be a little nervous :)panic::panic:) awaiting the results, but overall as someone with virtually zero knowledge of the 7110.65 nor any sort of formal classroom or lab training, I felt very at ease with the test. I took a total of 30 minutes for all three breaks offered (5 for the two shorter break times and 20 for the "lunch" break).

My main advice for those who are about to take the test is this:

READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!!!!!!!!

I really cannot stress this part enough. There was a girl sitting next to me that was getting frustrated because the computer wasn't responding to her inputs. She went as far as getting one of the Robinson proctors telling him the computer was malfunctioning, and the proctor after checking a few things simply stated "the computer is working properly".

I have one more theory, but I am going to bite my tongue until I get my score. Check back with me in 5-7 business days :p

This is my first post here on jetcareers, so play nice. ;)

Take care y'all

zz :)

There was a girl sitting next to me that was getting frustrated because the computer wasn't responding to her inputs. She went as far as getting one of the Robinson proctors telling him the computer was malfunctioning, and the proctor after checking a few things simply stated "the computer is working properly".

It's funny that you mention that... it's not the first time I've heard a story about someone not reading the instructions and insisting to the proctor that the computer is broken. Was it the part where you needed to hit PgUp and PgDown to move through screens?

In any case... seems like it acts as a good filter for computer and reading competency. I mean, if you can't figure out something as simple as that...

It's funny that you mention that... it's not the first time I've heard a story about someone not reading the instructions and insisting to the proctor that the computer is broken. Was it the part where you needed to hit PgUp and PgDown to move through screens?

In any case... seems like it acts as a good filter for computer and reading competency. I mean, if you can't figure out something as simple as that...
I honestly do not know where she was comparatively to my location on the test. Besides, I was being inundated by "roger" "roger" "roger, heading 0" "roger, speed fast" lol.

But reflecting on that, I did only do a 20 minute lunch break, so I guess she could have been on that part. :rolleyes:

And congrats on the sticky :rawk:

I just took the test in OKC today, and nearly everyone I talked to had visited this page in prep for the test. Good work!

I just took the test in OKC today, and nearly everyone I talked to had visited this page in prep for the test. Good work!

Get out of here, really?

...cool. I'm printing out your message to show to my wife, who asked why in the world I recorded several minutes of notes onto my phone during breaks and spents a few hours writing afterwards. Thanks for everyone posting up kind notes like this, I'm happy to hear that it helped.

I would be another successful product of this post. Just got my results back today and scored a 90. Not the greatest, but from what I've read, I am not going to complain because there is so much more to go. Just thanks again for this post. :rawk::rawk::rawk:

I would be another successful product of this post. Just got my results back today and scored a 90. Not the greatest, but from what I've read, I am not going to complain because there is so much more to go. Just thanks again for this post. :rawk::rawk::rawk:

:yeahthat:

This post, as well as others, helped me greatly before the test. I ended up with a 96.3. :rawk: Now for the waiting part. :crazy:

First, let me repeat the sentiment- awesome job on a thorough post and I wish I would have had this before I took my test. I was told to use the green book, and some other materials, but they didn't prep me at all, and in the end I knew equations for variables of speed I didn't need.

Second, I work for an airline now, and love it. I've been into the ATC position since a couple of friends of mine pointed me in the right direction. But, although I love my job and the airline I'm working for, I feel like this is such a supportive and diverse group- can't go wrong. I can count on my airline family for advise and support, but feel the same on this site from just a few months of random visits and postings.

So- I just felt like sharing and hope all newbies (like me) take advantage. I'm an instructor, and I know it's nice to know what you've shared was appreciated.

Did this even refer to the post??? :buck:

Hey guys,

I'll admit, I ony read the first half of the post before heading out to take the ATSAT in San Bruno, CA (SFO) on Tuesday, Sept 30. The summary of what to expect was dead on. You should know exactly what to expect if you read the whole post. No curve-balls.

I found myself enjoying the ATSAT a ton! I really didn't care for the scan section, but I did really well. The air-traffic scenario was a blast! I think I didn't quite understand the instructions though because I didn't realize I was actually being tested until I finished it. Thought I was still practicing. Nevertheless, I did awesome on it. Wouldn't mind getting a copy of the home game to mess around with. :) Analogies suck. That much is certain.

All in all I think that some really good ideas to keep yourself relaxed are to bring that MP3 player with you to keep yourself loose before the text starts (you can't have it anywhere near you during the test). Blow through the dials and applied math parts and take a break. Stand around and chat with some of the other guys, not necessarily about the test, but just get relaxed and start to enjoy yourself and your company a bit. Take the lunch, maybe see if one of the proctors has some good FAA stories to tell. Ours had some great stories. Just don't stress because this test really aint that hard. I juts feel sorry for the poor lady who was sitting next to me, crashing planes every 5 seconds. It was all I could do not to bust out laughing. I mean it was distracting!

After it was all said and done, I scored a 99.4. I didn't stress about any green book, didn't read through the whole post, just said "screw it, I'm just going to go in and rock it!" Just READ THE DIRECTIONS! Lol.

Chris

took the test yesterday in peach tree city
how is this thing scored
is it based on how well you do compared to others?
the scores they give you for the simulator i got a 80,90,50,80
seems awful to me
anybody else know

how is this thing scored
seems awful to me
anybody else know

No one really knows how the test is scored. I scored a 91.5. My simulator scores were three in the mid-80s and one 56. I was confident on the math portion, which most people seem to think is weighted pretty high. The analogies were terrible for me, so I'd say that's where I lost most of my points.

how is this thing scored
seems awful to me
anybody else know

I am not sure how they factor in these weightings, but here was what the reweighting is listed as: Seeing as a totally screwed to pooch on Letter Factory & Analogies, I am glad it's weighted so low. I thought we were also told the Experience Questionnaire was not scored :confused:

Dials = 2.047
Applied Math = 5.923
Scan = 1.336
Angles = 4.003
Letter Factory = .966
ATST = 4.962
Analogies = .127
Experience Questionnaire = .577

how is this thing scored
seems awful to me
anybody else know

Took mine in Peach Tree City too. Got an 82, 95, 58, 74. Overall, I felt like I might have bombed the test, which isn't good considering I wouldn't be able to take it for another year. I did terrible on analogies.

Took mine in Peach Tree City too. Got an 82, 95, 58, 74. Overall, I felt like I might have bombed the test, which isn't good considering I wouldn't be able to take it for another year. I did terrible on analogies.

Well I ended up with an 89 on my AT-SAT. So that makes me well qualified. Nice!

Back