RAH parking 28 Qs and replacing with 50 175s

As an outsider, here is something I don't understand. Aren't the Q400s cheaper to operate? As management of a regional, if you are barely making money and can't afford to pay your pilots a livable wage, why don't you keep the cheaper to operate plane?

As an outsider, here is something I don't understand. Aren't the Q400s cheaper to operate? As management of a regional, if you are barely making money and can't afford to pay your pilots a livable wage, why don't you keep the cheaper to operate plane?
It's not up to regional management. It's up to the major they have a contract with what airplanes they fly.

RAH had not operated Q400s before, so they had to invest in startup and learning costs. They are cheaper to fly, but the maintenance costs ate up all the savings. They would have needed to operate about 60 Qs for it have to have been worthwhile.

Also, they were only able to fulfill the contract by using a lot of spares, so that further eroded the margins.

Last edited:
And RAH makes plenty of money for its management and shareholders. They pay crappy wages not because they are broke but because its plenty to keep us showing up for work to make money for its management and shareholders.

We are the 4 most profitable airline in the world.

We're doing fine in the $$ department. But like like @dbrault17 said, the managers answer to the shareholders, not the employees making crappy wages.

According to RAH's creative accounting department, the Q's profit is in between the 145 and 170. The company is basically replacing the 2 lowest profit makers with the highest. They give us numbers per plane, so I can't tell you anything about margins, but the Q is a 70 seater and so is the 170.

RAH had not operated Q400s before, so they had to invest in startup and learning costs. They are cheaper to fly, but the maintenance costs ate up all the savings. They would have needed to operate about 60 Qs for it have to have been worthwhile.

Also, they were only able to fulfill the contract by using a lot of spares, so that further eroded the margins.

Sure they had. They bought Lynx when they got Frontier, so they had the Q400 prior to the United birds.

Back