Questions on Military Pilot Life

How are you doing in your training?

Would love to say that I've had the best time ever, but my flight had a pretty bad time in T-6s, came pretty close to losing a few guys, but we all came through. It's safe to say that the USAFA kids were a bit more used to the haze than I was. Anyway, I lucked out and managed not to fail any checkrides, had a few close calls but made it out. Fun little airplane, but not the best time. In the T-1 now, 4:30 shows for weeks at a time are kinda kicking our asses, but the IPs are awesome, and are actually out to teach us stuff, so pretty refreshing compared to the T-6 environment. I'm just pumped to be be downhill going into the holidays, 3 checkrides and 5 months left!

You're welcome. The next nugget costs $10 :)

Well, we trade in beers down here, but noted!

Would love to say that I've had the best time ever, but my flight had a pretty bad time in T-6s, came pretty close to losing a few guys, but we all came through. It's safe to say that the USAFA kids were a bit more used to the haze than I was. Anyway, I lucked out and managed not to fail any checkrides, had a few close calls but made it out. Fun little airplane, but not the best time. In the T-1 now, 4:30 shows for weeks at a time are kinda kicking our asses, but the IPs are awesome, and are actually out to teach us stuff, so pretty refreshing compared to the T-6 environment. I'm just pumped to be be downhill going into the holidays, 3 checkrides and 5 months left!

Our flight lost a couple for various reasons. Overall the IPs have been good to fly with... learning a lot and unlearning a lot. Civilian pilots could definitely learn somethings from the military way of doing things, but sometimes the military way makes no sense and at least in the training environment there is much useless BS injected into flying ops.... both styles certainly have their place in the big aviation world.

I'm not sure how you feel... but sometimes I wish I was as young and smart as some of my flight-mates. It's impressive to see how quickly some people can learn... and how re-learning stuff can take us older folks a longer time.

Our flight lost a couple for various reasons. Overall the IPs have been good to fly with... learning a lot and unlearning a lot. Civilian pilots could definitely learn somethings from the military way of doing things, but sometimes the military way makes no sense and at least in the training environment there is much useless BS injected into flying ops.... both styles certainly have their place in the big aviation world.

I'm not sure how you feel... but sometimes I wish I was as young and smart as some of my flight-mates. It's impressive to see how quickly some people can learn... and how re-learning stuff can take us older folks a longer time.

I've got news for you...it's not just the training environment filled with useless BS. The earlier you make peace with military inefficiencies the better off you'll be, or in any event you'll delay the inevitable onset of cynicism.

I've got news for you...it's not just the training environment filled with useless BS. The earlier you make peace with military inefficiencies the better off you'll be, or in any event you'll delay the inevitable onset of cynicism.

^this

Remember the frustration, and try to fix it when you're in a position to make change. If you lose 9 of 10 battles you fight, that means you will have won a battle. Don't ever stop trying to unFUBAR the system at your level.

Just had a few questions for you military guys on the forums. I just turned 20 and am a Sophomore in college, with my eyes set on a pilot slot through OTS or OCS. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

#1 - What are military check rides like? A buddy of mine just finished up with Viper B Course in AZ and it got me thinking what military check rides entail compared to civilian ones?
#2 - How do new assignments/orders work exactly? Another friend, just got checked out as a C-17 commander and will be flying the MC-12 out of Beale in the future. Do you request new aircraft/location or are they chosen for you?
#3 - The majority of military pilots I've talked with said that the older you get, the more you fly a desk. Is that fairly accurate?
#4 - If one chooses the T-1 track or T-44 to fly heavies, can you flip flop later in your career over to fighters or are you pretty much set in that "seat" for your career?
#5 - Any other advice/info would be great

- Adam

1. Military check rides are difficult. They usually consist of mission planning showing you can plan a mission, a briefing saying how your going to accomplish the objectives, a flight showing you can accomplish the objectives a oral exam finding out what exactly you do know and a debriefing saying what you did well/wrong with the examiner. I have taken both military and civillian checkrides and military checkrides are more difficult.

2. You are judged based on how well you do what the Air Force thinks is important.

3. Yes.

4. Easier to go from fighter to heavy than visa versa.

5. Like everything there are pro's and cons. I love serving my country and being a USAF pilot but I also find myself doing "TPS reports" instead of doing flying related things many of my days. I take being a pilot seriously and try to fly as much as I can/keep my head in the books while in my own time.

5. Like everything there are pro's and cons. I love serving my country and being a USAF pilot but I also find myself doing "TPS reports" instead of doing flying related things many of my days. I take being a pilot seriously and try to fly as much as I can/keep my head in the books while in my own time.

Get used to more and more of this useless crap. It IS the AF.

1. Military check rides are difficult. They usually consist of mission planning showing you can plan a mission, a briefing saying how your going to accomplish the objectives, a flight showing you can accomplish the objectives a oral exam finding out what exactly you do know and a debriefing saying what you did well/wrong with the examiner. I have taken both military and civillian checkrides and military checkrides are more difficult.

2. You are judged based on how well you do what the Air Force thinks is important.

3. Yes.

4. Easier to go from fighter to heavy than visa versa.

agree with all except 2.

follow on assignments are not based off of stick and rudder skills, they are based off of where you fit into the rack and stack and what's available when you are on the VML.

agree with all except 2.

follow on assignments are not based off of stick and rudder skills, they are based off of where you fit into the rack and stack and what's available when you are on the VML.

Actually, what the two of you said are completely in agreement. The "rack and stack" is going to be based on how well someone fits in to what the AF thinks is important at the time, and for quite some time that has not really included stick and rudder.

Actually, what the two of you said are completely in agreement. The "rack and stack" is going to be based on how well someone fits in to what the AF thinks is important at the time, and for quite some time that has not really included stick and rudder.
wow, reading comprehension > me, my bad

After seeing the true colors of the A.F or Navy, and knowing what you know today, would any of you do anything differently?

After seeing the true colors of the A.F or Navy, and knowing what you know today, would any of you do anything differently?

You'll be indoctrinated into loving whatever suck they put you into. And you will look back and wouldn't have done it any different either. Navy will guarantee you living on a coast somewhere (barring the off-chance you decide to fly E-6s out of Stinker), but we don't have as many opportunities to live overseas like we used to (Atsugi is about your only shot for a first tour). Either way, you'll be a better pilot and have more doors open for you when you move on. Best of luck!

Back