Questions on Military Pilot Life

Thanks again for all the responses! Just curious as to when the grading starts, in regards to choosing a pipeline. Do you receive grades as soon as you get to IFS/API or is Primary the beginning of grades? Also, does anyone know if the T-6 is going to completely replace the T-34 on the Navy side of the house? If so, has the replacement already begun?

Can't speak to what may or may not be the same as when I went through, but I'm guessing things haven't changed too much. I never did IFS so I have no idea about that (you won't do it either if you have a PPL or better), but my understanding was that it was pass/fail. People did attrite from the overall program because of sucking there, or worse yet, not caring, but I never heard of anyone having IFS factor into their selections down the road.

API is graded, and it does contribute in a very small amount towards your selection "NSS", which is like your flight school GPA, but defined purely in comparison to the bell curve of students ahead of and right around you (ie a 50 NSS is average, 75 is a couple standard deviations above average, 35 being several standard deviations below avg). What I heard when I went through was that API counted for about +/- 1 NSS point. That was probably clueless ENS/2lt rumor mill, but suffice to say that it doesn't matter that much..........provided you complete API and don't start failing tests, which can and will attrite you from the program.

Primary is basically where the grades that count start. You may or may not have some ungraded cockpit procedural trainer (CPT) sims at the beginning, but essentially your first day of the primary syllabus is where you start working towards that selection sheet. Do well, don't have bad timing, and the rest will probably work itself it.....did for almost everyone that I knew then, myself included.

As for the T-6, yes, it will completely replace T-34's in the training command. I believe Whiting is already (and has been for a little while) T-6 only. Corpus was getting their first Texans last I heard, though my ear is pretty far from the ground on that info. Vance has been T-6 only for quite a while, though I heard that may be going away sometime in the future. Either way, I wouldn't try to game that. I think the T-6 will be a whole lot more airplane early on for a lot of folks, but then again, everyone (mostly) will be together in that boat. For those that go jets/tailhook, I think it will be a pretty good airplane to make the transition to the T-45 from. Then again, I have 0 hours in a T-6, and still don't know anyone who did Navy primary in it (though I knew plenty who flew it at Vance). So I have really no idea how that syllabus will look, I just know that it has more stuff in common with the T-45 (performance, avionics, normal operations, etc).

As for the T-6, yes, it will completely replace T-34's in the training command. I believe Whiting is already (and has been for a little while) T-6 only. Corpus was getting their first Texans last I heard, though my ear is pretty far from the ground on that info.

If Im not mistaken, NFO training at VT-4 and 10 has been T-6 for a long time now?

If Im not mistaken, NFO training at VT-4 and 10 has been T-6 for a long time now?

Affirm. I should have said "Navy pilot primary". However comma, judging by some of the WSO's I knew in the RAG, I might have guessed they did flight school in a Sopwith Camel with no radios......

Affirm. I should have said "Navy pilot primary". However comma, judging by some of the WSO's I knew in the RAG, I might have guessed they did flight school in a Sopwith Camel with no radios......

The words "Oh, we don't need to know that.... that's for pilots" seem to be deafening around Sherman Field. At least the Blue and Gold team get to act like pilots from the front seat for a few flights. The AF has specific warnings against letting their back-seaters touch the controls below 3,000'... not to mention they aren't allowed to touch the GPS ever, or actually fly approaches (for the most part) in the sims. Formation rides are being nixed as well. Pretty soon it will be a sim-only training program.

The words "Oh, we don't need to know that.... that's for pilots" seem to be deafening around Sherman Field. At least the Blue and Gold team get to act like pilots from the front seat for a few flights. The AF has specific warnings against letting their back-seaters touch the controls below 3,000'... not to mention they aren't allowed to touch the GPS ever, or actually fly approaches (for the most part) in the sims. Formation rides are being nixed as well. Pretty soon it will be a sim-only training program.

Whats your status in training, to date?

judging by some of the WSO's I knew in the RAG, I might have guessed they did flight school in a Sopwith Camel with no radios......

Did they say crazy things like "99 aircraft" and "Clear the duty, taxi to my line" in the Sopwith? :)

Did they say crazy things like "99 aircraft" and "Clear the duty, taxi to my line" in the Sopwith? :)

I think they were yelling them just because they felt they had to, even with no radios :) "ANY RADIO ANY RADIO......ROCKET 515 IS WORKING THE VR-XXXX FOR THE NEXT 20 MIKES. (pregnant pause) ENTERING (pause) POINT.......(pause).....ALPHA...................................(pause) EXITING........................(pause) HOTEL. (indiscriminate mumbling and choking sounds)" The best part of it is they don't un-key the mike at any point, and they love to do it on guard.

Thanks for the positive words of encouragement Hacker. If that were to happen - I could probably expect to get beat and ex-communicated from certain circles.

Trust me...when the USAF wants to excommunicate someone, it can be abrupt and complete. You might be sitting there someday looking around at an empty room thinking, "what the hell just happened??".

Thanks for the positive words of encouragement Hacker. If that were to happen - I could probably expect to get beat and ex-communicated from certain circles.

Security Police is hiring. :D

But seriously, I was wondering where you are in training.......getting near tracking, or something like that?

"Don't F it up".....that's about the best advice that I have gotten. Back when, I used to think it was just a dick thing to say to someone and didn't understand it. Now I get it.......never get complacent, never think you are too good to screw the pooch. Old XO of mine used to tell us "in these jets you are never more than a couple seconds away from F'ing it all away". In my few short years of doing this, I have seen that happen dozens of times for some of the dumbest reasons.

Security Police is hiring. :D

But seriously, I was wondering where you are in training.......getting near tracking, or something like that?

We don't really track per se... just drop whatever aircraft. I'll PM you some updates:)

"Don't F it up".....that's about the best advice that I have gotten. Back when, I used to think it was just a dick thing to say to someone and didn't understand it. Now I get it.......never get complacent, never think you are too good to screw the pooch. Old XO of mine used to tell us "in these jets you are never more than a couple seconds away from F'ing it all away". In my few short years of doing this, I have seen that happen dozens of times for some of the dumbest reasons.

We have a few Navy IPs... they even let some old Hornet guys do some sim instructing (obviously not too concerned with the quality :)). Good, interesting experience all around... anxious to get done.

We don't really track per se... just drop whatever aircraft. I'll PM you some updates:)

My knowledge of the Nav training pipeline (incl EWO/WSO) is all dated based on what I remember from how Mather AFB did it back in the day. Still, to this day, hands-down the best O'Club in the CONUS....probably in the AF. It made Randolph's Auger Inn O'Club look like an overglorified Dennys.

how Mather AFB did it back in the day. Still, to this day, hands-down the best O'Club in the CONUS....probably in the AF. It made Randolph's Auger Inn O'Club look like an overglorified Dennys.

The Auger is even intensely lame these days. The last really good time I had at the Auger was over a decade ago.

The Auger is even intensely lame these days. The last really good time I had at the Auger was over a decade ago.

I've been at RND since July, and haven't ventured into the place once yet.

Apparently, walking around with your zipper down, sleeves rolled up while dropping with F bomb with a chew and a beverage is frowned upon.

I was born 20 years too late...

That is some really good stuff. Thanks.

Back