question of sunglasses

I love my Randolph aviators. I'm sure I've been called a tool or wannabe fighter pilot, but they're the most comfortable I've worn under a headset. I also had the VedaloHDs that are in my avatar but they were pretty flimsy.

I've used an assortment of $10-20 sunglasses that were all polarized and never have had a problem yet with two different planes, one CRT and one LCD. The windshields look fine too.

These things:

pz2123or.gif

100,000 geriatrics in Sun City, AZ can't be wrong.

Nah, I have a pair of Maui Jims, I think they're "Wailea R503-23" in rose.

I wear Arnettes Rage XL. I have a large face and they fit me fine. Their polarized and I have never had a problem with them hurting under my headset. I would take my headset to the store and try them on. Some people may think your weird but its all about your comfort.

:yeahthat: Oh dude whatever I think they look cool....on me anyway :P

Nah, I have a pair of Maui Jims, I think they're "Wailea R503-23" in rose.
'nother vote for Maui's with the Maui Rose tint. I'm a Kapalua guy... can't even feel the temples under the headset.

MJ Kahuna's in the HCL Bronze tint for everyday activities.

I love my Randolph aviators. I'm sure I've been called a tool or wannabe fighter pilot, but they're the most comfortable I've worn under a headset. I also had the VedaloHDs that are in my avatar but they were pretty flimsy.

I hate how 90% of guys that aren't pilots but wear aviators are tools. Gives us real pilots a bad name.

I buy CHEAP sunglasses (no more than $15) because I am always leaving them in the plane on late flights, or sitting on them, or hitting them on the plane, and so on.

Ah, who cares.

If you enjoy the quality, that's good enough.

I've been a fan of them for a few years, once I realized who they were and the quality work they produced.

Made in the good ol' USofA!

So, all the above are great ideas. Of course Maui Jim's and Serengeti's are REALLY expensive. I do ask again though: do people prefer rose/copper lenses or green glass or grey for flying? I ask again because I did find a nice pair of green glass color ray bans at costco today....just not sure how well it works in the cockpit.

I have three different pairs of arnette sunglasses that I have owned over the years that I wear when I fly. Why did I get them? Because I like how they look on me. Thats all. I cant tell you if rose, or mirrored lenses are better on a set of "aviator" glasses because I don't know, and quite frankly, I don't care. They are only sunglasses. I put them on when the sun is in my eyes, and take them off when the sun is not in my eyes...thats all.

So, all the above are great ideas. Of course Maui Jim's and Serengeti's are REALLY expensive. I do ask again though: do people prefer rose/copper lenses or green glass or grey for flying? I ask again because I did find a nice pair of green glass color ray bans at costco today....just not sure how well it works in the cockpit.

I would say most folks prefer the brown lens. Just my observation. I know I do.

Also, there is more to the Serengeti lens than just being tinted brown. Read up on the technology at http://www.serengeti-eyewear.com/index_en.cfm .

Well... since we're talking about the advantages of the tint... I thought I'd repost this.

Captain_Bob from an older locked post that can't be necroposted said:
Bob's Super Duper Sunglasses Post:

I used to sell sunglasses as an aspect of one of my many previous careers, so bear with me... and remember... choosing a pair of sunglasses is a very personal choice. A choice that I believe to be an important one. Just like you need to take care of your ears/hearing with a good headset... so should you take care of your eyes with a good pair of sunglasses:

Darker gray or green lenses are good in bright light... but when looking down in the cockpit they can be too dark. Thus... Amber lenses are a great compromise in this situation. Amber provides some great contrast and doesn't make the flight deck that dark when not looking outside. Rose lenses actually provide the most contrast and are awesome for IMC and lower light situations. That's most likely the reason why many aviators like the serengeti rose lenses.

I carry both amber and rose lenses in my flight bag for those reasons.

Here's a quick rundown on lens color for you from what I can remember:

Gray/Green lens: Very dark and most color accurate/least color distortion, with little to no contrast. Great for outdoor activity in bright conditions
Amber/Brown lens: Somewhat dark, some color distortion. Higher contrast. Great all-around lens for driving/flying and when having to change views quickly from outside (bright) to inside (lower light) situations.
Rose lens: Lighter lens and higher color distortion (looking at life through "rose colored" glasses), very high contrast and great for drivers and low light situations where contrast is important (also, friggin awesome when looking at the fall leaves.
wink.gif
).
Yellow lens: Lightest color lens and extreme color distortion with the highest level of contrast. Not practical in bright conditions. Best for hunters and drivers in low light situations where contrast is very important.

Everyone is different... so what works for me may not work for everyone else obviously. I'd buy a couple different ones and try them out in different conditions. Take back what you don't like, and keep the ones you do. You are on your own in determining if Polarized or Non-Polarized are best for you in the above colors... but, I hope some of that helps.

Personally... I've been flying with Polarized lenses from day one (PPL). Can't stand anything else. I am very sensitive to light and harsh reflections (very light blue/gray eyes). I tend to get headaches when flying with non-polarized lenses.

A good pair will actually prevent the loss of viewing of the RMU/GPS/LCD display until you are at a very harsh angle. In order for me to start to lose sight of it, I have to have my head cocked at least 45 degrees... and I can't think of any situation that I would normally have my head in that position while attempting to change Freqs. The cheaper polarized lenses seem to have the polarization set at a much lower angle.

Also, the nicer lenses actually absorb reflective "back" glare. Making your eyes more comfortable and less stressed in bright high-glare situations... (think CAVU at 35,000 ft.).

There are no "dark blotchy" images on the windows with a good pair (Maui's for example)... just a very slight color change effect that appears in different lighting situations, but nothing that prevents you from seeing the standard Red/Green/White lights.

The contrast enhancement in overcast/low light situations is what makes the amber polarized lenses stand out for me. I'm able to visually pick out aircraft/airports from a longer distance with polarized lenses due to the higher contrast and lack of glare from the surroundings (roads, lakes, the other pilot's humungous "pilot" watch, etc).

The whole issue about seeing another plane due to the glare off of it is kind of hokey to me. First of all... the sun isn't always shining on said aircraft in such a way as to create said glare. Secondly... if it's coming right at you... there's not much surface area facing you to create the glare. Thirdly... not all planes are bright and silvery like AA's. ;)

All of the above are simply my observations... YMMV.

Bob

Thanks for the advice everyone, especially that old post resurrection. I ended up at costco and found these for $70 (ray ban rb3248 model):

26012798-177x150-0-0_.jpg

non-polarized, brown lenses and seem pretty good so far. I am going to try them out on my 1st cross country this weekend (if the weather holds). I did as advised, and tried my headset on with them...couldnt even feel the glasses!

i wear whatever the latest stunna shades are from the booth in the mall.

seriously.

5 bucks, cant go wrong, and i look damn sexy.

...but yeah, sepia/copper colored lens for the WIN in the air.

I wear the Oakley Crosshair's non-polarized. The frames fit perfectly under my headset and the black Iridium lenses are great. I can't say enough about them.
imgres
crosshairpewterblack.jpg

I wear either Revo blue lens or Maui Jim. Both are polarized, and I've never had any trouble wearing them while flying the EMB. Sometimes, if I tilt my head sideways, the standby instruments near the capt go black, but who flies a jet with their head cocked sideways?

Trouble is, once I tasted heaven, I can't go back to a $15 Wal-mart pair. I just can't see out of the darn things.

One time I forgot my sunglasses and ops at an out station scored me a pair of Blu-Blockers out of the long lost-and-found.

[yt]_Png-PC0ews[/yt]

My eyes were killing me and they got me through the end of the day. At the overnight I bought a pair of Ray Bans at a SGH in a mall. I was going for maximum comfort with the headset. Some guy paid me $100 to trade trips with him so it pretty much evened out. I went to Detroit. He got to go see his senorita in Mexico.

Back