Question for ERJ-145 Drivers

So you guys leave it on while taxing and after takeoff? This is good information since my FeelThere ERJ-145 Flight Sim checklists are lacking detail.

yup, shutdown is normally in the after-takeoff as clocks said. we have some alternate profiles as well. If its not hot outside you can shut down the APU after both engines are spooled (basically if running the packs off idle engine thrust would be adequate, mostly a fuel saving measure). We also cant use the APU for an icing takeoff, so it might or might not be shut off before takeoff.

Not related. How hard would it be for a someone to fly and E-145 single pilot. Say an ILS down to 600ft imc.

Are you kidding me! I've flown entire four day trips where I was essentially single pilot. I have also done two go-arounds single pilot. I've never met an FO that I wouldn't trade for his weight in fuel.:sarcasm:

Seriously though, when I was a captain at XJT the training dept. taught us like we could very well end up single pilot because the 400 hour wonder in the right seat might freeze up. It actually happened quite a bit.:rolleyes:

We had an emergency the other day where a Capt had to fly single pilot into ATL. The FO had a seizure and was incapacitated. The Capt sounded very calm and professional the whole time.

AHEM! Dork! AHEM!

:D

Actually TSA, Trans States uses that program to train pilots before sim. Talk about cheap huh? Actually that program is very useful since most of the buttons work. The only thing that's off is that the bleeds are not realistic still the buttons work, as well as most of the FMS.

Actually TSA, Trans States uses that program to train pilots before sim. Talk about cheap huh? Actually that program is very useful since most of the buttons work. The only thing that's off is that the bleeds are not realistic still the buttons work, as well as most of the FMS.
I'm not one to talk. While I was in ground school at Ft. Rucker desperately waiting to hit the flight line I routinely attempted to fly the Bell 206 on flight sim.

So um, cheap but useful?...are they as cheap on the GJ side of the house?

Just as further info,

My company does leave the APU on until after takeoff. The primary reason (or so I've been told) is pressurization-comfort. We are reuired to turn the PACK's off if we use engine bleeds for takeoff, and 1500 fpm isn't always too comfortable for baby's ears. If we have icing conditions on takeoff or a defferred APU then everyone just has to deal with it.

IMHO it's also nice to have that extra generator/pneumatic source during the takeoff. I heard a story of an ERJ that had all it's generator cooling vents clogged by snow during takeoff, causing all 4 engine driven generators to overheat and shut down simultaneously. Luckily they had the APU so they didn't go into Essential Power.

Seriously though, when I was a captain at XJT the training dept. taught us like we could very well end up single pilot because the 400 hour wonder in the right seat might freeze up. It actually happened quite a bit.:rolleyes:
How many 400 hour wonders has xjet hired in its history? Even interns cant get in below 500, so I imagine the people who really have connections and get in under that could probably be counted on one hand, if any exist at all.

Are you kidding me! I've flown entire four day trips where I was essentially single pilot. I have also done two go-arounds single pilot. I've never met an FO that I wouldn't trade for his weight in fuel.:sarcasm:

I've had a very different experience. I flew with a lot of newhires and never once felt like I was single pilot. Sure I walked a few FO's through some of the more challenging approaches, but i never felt like the plane wouldn't get on the ground safely if I had a sudden heart attack and dropped dead. We had one 400 hour guy in our newhire class and he washed out. Everyone else had at least double that. The training is good. I never heard anyone in the training department marginalize our FO's like that. Even so, no one is perfect. I actually enjoyed flying with the new guys as they were eager to learn and I did my best to impart my own limited knowledge to them when they asked.

Not really an issue anymore, I suppose, since everyone has been here 2+ years.

How many 400 hour wonders has xjet hired in its history? Even interns cant get in below 500, so I imagine the people who really have connections and get in under that could probably be counted on one hand, if any exist at all.

Quite a bit actually. However, I don't know the numbers specifically but, they did drop the mins for a while I think in 2004 or 2005ish.

I've had a very different experience. I flew with a lot of newhires and never once felt like I was single pilot. Sure I walked a few FO's through some of the more challenging approaches, but i never felt like the plane wouldn't get on the ground safely if I had a sudden heart attack and dropped dead. We had one 400 hour guy in our newhire class and he washed out. Everyone else had at least double that. The training is good. I never heard anyone in the training department marginalize our FO's like that. Even so, no one is perfect. I actually enjoyed flying with the new guys as they were eager to learn and I did my best to impart my own limited knowledge to them when they asked.

Not really an issue anymore, I suppose, since everyone has been here 2+ years.

Most of my post was in jest. But, I do remember specifically being told as part of upgrade (I was a 2000 hire, upgraded in 2004) that in all reality we could end up single-pilot. I did have a couple of FOs check out on me during high-workload moments and I heard many other stories from buddies of mine of some interesting situations. But, for the vast majority, my FOs were great. Not as good as me but, fine none the less :p.

Also, this quote:
I've never met an FO that I wouldn't trade for his weight in fuel.

Was by one of the most beloved captains from Bar Harbor/CALEX/XJT. His retirement flight was also the retirement flight of the ATR. Fun day. I remember standing out in the pouring rain on the IAH hardstands saluting him as he taxied in. He was famous for saying the above quote.

Guilty as charged :)

Aren't you the one that makes cabin announcements while playing flight sim? I remember a post a long time ago where someone actually makes cabin PA's while doing this and it made me laugh...what an incredible dork!

That is waaaaay more lame than me when I used to wear my leather jacket and Ray-bans to play combat flight sim II. I always picked the Corsair to fly and made people call me Pappy.

Yes, you can fly with the APU inop. Like someone said above, you need an air cart to start the engine. ORD not having one of those???? I would think with the right price United would let you borrow one. :) Having the APU MELed is no big deal. Yes, you can take PAX with APU MELed.

I believe that answers all your questions.

Thank you.

And this was DSM.

Aren't you the one that makes cabin announcements while playing flight sim? I remember a post a long time ago where someone actually makes cabin PA's while doing this and it made me laugh...what an incredible dork!

That is waaaaay more lame than me when I used to wear my leather jacket and Ray-bans to play combat flight sim II. I always picked the Corsair to fly and made people call me Pappy.

Nah, I don't really do the PAs ... but I did used to fly with a virtual airline on eskyworld.com ... Independence Air Virtual. We had controllers who would handle all aspects of your flight - pretty dorky, but helped me stay up on radio coms when I was sidelined by my medical.

Back