Question for ERJ-145 Drivers

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
Can you fly with the APU inop?

Rather, is it legal for you guys to take pax with the APU inop?

Yes (I could clarify that it would depend on the airline's MEL list, but I'd bet a buck every airline's is similar in APUs).

They said (doesn't mean it's true - I am one of the sheep/pax today) that the APU was broken on the plane and they're flying in a crew from Chicago to fix it, which is delaying the crap out of us.

Moving some pax to other flights, but I was curious about that. I mean, if the APU is borked, they might be able to fly with it inop. But then again, I ain't a 121 pilot so I have to sit here and post to JC while I'm wondering.

<sigh>

Not a 121 driver, but most MEL items have a time limit, be it flight hours or days the item is allowed to be inop. That APUs time might have just been up.

Im just a lowely saab driver, but I dont see why they couldnt MEL APUs on all aircraft. Unless there is something on the aircraft that requires it to be running. I could see maybe on large aircraft, that without an APU it might get extremely hot/cold inside the plane and if an engine cant be running at all times, and ground power or a/c isnt available it could become a problem.

On the Saab we have to risk that our 2 engines work! OH NO!!! Haha

I'm sure you can MEL the APU on the ERJ. However, there could be a few reasons why they wouldn't take the plane with it broken. Things I've seen before include no high pressure air cart at the destination so you'd have to leave the engines running on the turn, really hot days (this is a CRJ thing mostly where the engines don't provide enough cooling to the cabin on the ground). I've also seen a situation where one of the engine generators was MELed and in order to have a second generator running during the flight, the APU was required to be working.

The APU on 145s are always broken and continue inop. But if there are no operable air carts, then you have a problem.

Most likely there isn't a ground cart available. You need air from the APU or an exterior cart to start the engines.

Interesting stuff.

They stuck me on another ERJ going to ORD, where I'm sitting now. Looks like I'm taking a Mad Dog to Austin from here. Fun stuff.

Yes, you can fly with the APU inop. Like someone said above, you need an air cart to start the engine. ORD not having one of those???? I would think with the right price United would let you borrow one. :) Having the APU MELed is no big deal. Yes, you can take PAX with APU MELed.

I believe that answers all your questions.

yup, the APU on the 145 is deferrable (and i can probably quote you the circuit breakers you need to pull and collar and the ground air start procedure from memory). We only use them on the ground anyway to start the engines and provide air conditioning. As soon as we're airborne we shut it down (barring another MEL requiring its use).

yup, the APU on the 145 is deferrable (and i can probably quote you the circuit breakers you need to pull and collar and the ground air start procedure from memory). We only use them on the ground anyway to start the engines and provide air conditioning. As soon as we're airborne we shut it down (barring another MEL requiring its use).

So you guys leave it on while taxing and after takeoff? This is good information since my FeelThere ERJ-145 Flight Sim checklists are lacking detail.

Yes, you can fly with the APU inop. Like someone said above, you need an air cart to start the engine. ORD not having one of those???? I would think with the right price United would let you borrow one. :) Having the APU MELed is no big deal. Yes, you can take PAX with APU MELed.

We took a 2 hours delay in ORD because they couldn't find a GPU.

Amazing.

So you guys leave it on while taxing and after takeoff? This is good information since my FeelThere ERJ-145 Flight Sim checklists are lacking detail.

Company specific. Some turn it off right after engine start and some leave it running. At TSA we're supposed to run it to 10,000ft and then turn it off...the guys in the training dept. say its more fuel efficient to draw the air from the APU during the climb than off the engines.......or whatever.

CHQ shuts it down right after engine start. No problem doing without it so long as there's a working air cart at departure AND destination to get engines started.

At xjet the procedure is (or was) to turn it off in the after takeoff checklist, which you're completing in the first few thousand feet of the climb.

Back