Question about Gulfstream

The latest Gulfstream magazine ad make several bold statements. "The industry Leader in Airline Pilot Training", “Gulfstream not only provides the best training in the industry but also the best opportunity for Part-121 airline employment”, “The First Officer program offers advantages found nowhere else”. When and how are these statements formulated, and by what agency? The latest ATP ad will give GA a run for its money. ATP also makes bold statements too. “ The most respected name in pilot certification”, “Dedicated to providing you the fastest, safest and most economical route to an airline career”. Who said and can they verify that ATP is the “most respected”, and “Fastest, and safest”? Delta Connection Academy makes these bold statements: “We are the only school authorized to service the entire Delta Connection System”. What does this really mean? Does this mean that the regional airlines listed in DCA’s ad cannot hire from other big name academies? I don’t think so because I personally know of pilots that work at the listed airlines that did not graduate from DCA. DCA also states: “As a result, no other Flight School can offer you a more direct career path”. A few of the other big name” Academies” make similar statements. Who is right?

What it all means is be careful in you choice of flight school and how you train. Don’t, for one minute, believe the fancy ads and websites. Here are a couple more statements that are hard to believe: “Job guaranteed upon completion of training” Another one makes this guarantee: “ Guaranteed airline interview upon graduation”.

Ahh those shiny, glossy early 1990's-style slick ads in Flying magazine!

Boy, I'm glad I was always dirt poor when I was getting my ratings. PFT was never even an option for me--I couldn't afford it even if I wanted to do it.

If you go to GIA I would recommend living in domicile. Commuting could be tough for a GIA PFTer. I don't think anyone would refuse you a jumpseat, but I bet you would have to answer the PFT questions on every commute. I also don't think anyone would go out of there way to get you on.

Back