Pulled over while in uniform?

mrivc211

Driving home from LAX tonight got pulled over for goin a little too fast. He walked up, saw me in uniform, asked me what airline I worked for, and said, please slow it down and have a good night.

I actually do drive like a grandma 95% of the time, but tonight was one of those get home nights to get back to the airport the next day.

Has anyone else experienced the same thing?

HOLY CRAP! Same thing happened about ten minutes ago to me! He told me he was a commercially rated pilot and was going to get into flying full time when he left the police force!

I was paying a toll at the patomic river bridge the other day in uniform on the way to work and a cop knocked on my passenger window on foot. I rolled it down and he asked if I knew how fast I was going. I told him i didn't, and after he told me I was doing 55 in a 15 he asked me if I was in the service. I said no, I'm an airline pilot heading to the airport he said "Well you can go as fast as you want in the sky but not on my highway have a nice day" and walked away.

I got a $150 ticket (later reduced to 40) from the U. of Arizona PD while in uniform. That guy was a ######.

Same thing happened this way. going about 20 over and got away with a warning and drive home safe.

Hmmm, I've never been stopped for speeding (just luck, I guess!), but I wonder if my FA uniform would work as well. :)

serious question......

what's the need for speed? You guys all fly planes that go way faster than you'll ever drive. Just set the cruise and go. My wife hates driving with me....I set the cruise on the limit and ride along....:bandit:

I go roughly 5 over.... I'm also ridiculously prompt and was raised with the habit of leaving on time :)

In school zones I set my cruise to the posted school zone limit. The police around here are VERY strict about school zones (with good reason!). It seems very slow to go 20 or 30 sometimes, and I find myself subconsciously speeding up as I go along in a school zone so to avoid that I've just taken to setting the cruise so I don't speed there. It works for me. Pretty much every day I see people pulled over in the school zone along the 4-lane road by my son's school. It's kind of a "school row", with an elementary school, a intermediate school, a Jr. high and the high school all in the same area, and the school zone speed limits are very well marked. It amazes me how fast people think they need to go in a school zone....

I go roughly 5 over.... I'm also ridiculously prompt and was raised with the habit of leaving on time :)

In school zones I set my cruise to the posted school zone limit. The police around here are VERY strict about school zones (with good reason!). It seems very slow to go 20 or 30 sometimes, and I find myself subconsciously speeding up as I go along in a school zone so to avoid that I've just taken to setting the cruise so I don't speed there. It works for me. Pretty much every day I see people pulled over in the school zone along the 4-lane road by my son's school. It's kind of a "school row", with an elementary school, a intermediate school, a Jr. high and the high school all in the same area, and the school zone speed limits are very well marked. It amazes me how fast people think they need to go in a school zone....

You already know the answer to that one, Amber! Of course, it's because little Janie and Johnny have to get to school on time and mom/dad is sooo busy they're running late. Who cares about other children? :rolleyes:

One of my uncles was a State Police seargent in NM, and he estimated over the course of his career, (30+ years,) 90% of the speeding tickets he gave out were to people who talked themselves INTO a ticket. He was going to just give them a warning, but when they gave him attitude, the ticket book came out.

First week on the job got a ticket in uniform. No sympathy from the cop, and I certainly didn't talk myself into the ticket.

I got a ticket on the way to the airport to airline to recurrent the other day. 55 in a 45. Had the cruise control on and wasn't in any hurry. Just didn't notice the decrease in the speed limit. $135 ticket. Trying to decide whether to go to court for it.

Guess that makes the first time I wish I still had a uniform!

Not a traditional uniform like you would think of one -- more of a dress code. We have button-down grey shirts (Lands End), and black pants. Black shoes and belt are required. But no ties, or stripes, or hats, or stars, and bars...

Wasn't wearing my belt about 12 months back and got pulled over. Guy saw I was in uniform and said he'd try to get me done quick. Was gone with my ticket 5-7 minutes later. Guy was real nice. I keep that $75 dollar ticket on my dashboard to remind me to wear my damn belt (paid online).

I set my cruise control everywhere I go. It helps me not get tickets A LOT. I always set it about 4-5 mph over the limit, 6-7 on the highway and go on my merry, little way. This past week I was driving a rental car that didn't have cruise (I didn't think they still existed) and always found myself accidentally going 10-15 over. Luckily it didn't bite me in the ass.

Can't set the cruise in Milwaukee. We have some of the worst drivers around. You either pulse drive or have to drive to the left a little to see ahead. Still, I can hold a speed with the best of them. I try to stay at 5 over or closer. I got pulled over in uniform once and you bet I got a ticket. It was during a funds drive, though so I understand. He got me.

Back