PUBNAT7 One week only.

Not very encouraging:crazy:
They say, it takes about 9 months. Lets see what happens! I can't wait!!! I'm sure I'll know 7110.65R by heart by then:rawk: I did tour (en-route)
in chicago, need to check tower out:D.

Tends to take a few months, Pubnat 4 just finished testing in October...so...don't hold your breath

Get ready for the longest wait of your life....just remember to try and keep your enthusiasm up during this long, arduous process. Some folks here on the boards are saying that PUBNAT's 4,5,6 won't even be budgeted for FY09 but for FY10. I don't know how accurate that is, but if its true, I would just get in line with the rest of us. If you guys get the test invite, good luck. I recommend reading all of the posts on this board about the test, dont waste your money on the "green book". BLAH!

Get ready for the longest wait of your life....just remember to try and keep your enthusiasm up during this long, arduous process. Some folks here on the boards are saying that PUBNAT's 4,5,6 won't even be budgeted for FY09 but for FY10. I don't know how accurate that is, but if its true, I would just get in line with the rest of us. If you guys get the test invite, good luck. I recommend reading all of the posts on this board about the test, dont waste your money on the "green book". BLAH!

I'm gonna disagree with that last sentence. If you don't think they should "waste" their time on the green book, then what should they spend their time doing for the test?
Read the posts and see what other people are saying AND scoring, but see if anyone actually bought the green book and PRACTICED the CD and scored a Qualified score or worse. Yes, there may be a FEW people, but I can't see how. Put it like this, buying the book CAN'T hurt and it's must harder than the actual test.

I'm gonna disagree with that last sentence. If you don't think they should "waste" their time on the green book, then what should they spend their time doing for the test?

It's my feeling from both taking the test and reading the threads on here that the AT-SAT is designed in the same way as an IQ test. Meaning that it can't really be effectively studied for. The point is to find out if you think the right way for the job, and that's exactly what it does. You either ARE that kind of person, or you are NOT. It's great to get an idea of what the test looks like, sure. But I doubt if it really prepares you any better.

People should be spending their pre-test time relaxing and talking to us :)

It's my feeling from both taking the test and reading the threads on here that the AT-SAT is designed in the same way as an IQ test. Meaning that it can't really be effectively studied for. The point is to find out if you think the right way for the job, and that's exactly what it does. You either ARE that kind of person, or you are NOT. It's great to get an idea of what the test looks like, sure. But I doubt if it really prepares you any better.

People should be spending their pre-test time relaxing and talking to us :)

I'm not the best in Math, but since I studied AND practiced the questions from the CD that came with the green book, I KNOW I did a lot better than had I not studied. Sure, if you've a math genius, than the Math section was wouldn't bother you at all. You could clearly tell the people who didn't study and prepared b/c all you heard were their planes crashing.

Given all of that, I wonder how many people didn't get at least a qualified score, b/c as poor as some people think they did, they scored very well.

I'm not the best in Math, but since I studied AND practiced the questions from the CD that came with the green book, I KNOW I did a lot better than had I not studied. Sure, if you've a math genius, than the Math section was wouldn't bother you at all. You could clearly tell the people who didn't study and prepared b/c all you heard were their planes crashing.

Given all of that, I wonder how many people didn't get at least a qualified score, b/c as poor as some people think they did, they scored very well.
Haha...when I took the ATSAT they had a full room of 20 ppl. There was one other person who was going right along with me and everyone else took their time, took the lunch, and the prescribed breaks. So when I got to the anaolgies, I couldn't help but laugh. I heard nothing but crashing noises coming from everyone's headset.

Luckily I was smart enough to turn my volume all the way down because I had one crash that no one knew about. :p

zz ;)

You could always just get a job in a letter factory, I mean what study guide can help you more than genuine on-the-job training!

From what I hear, orange A's B's and C's (D's, not so much, but you have to buy the whole box to get the rest...)are in pretty high demand...

Though I know this is not the correct place for this discussion as there is a tread dedicated to it:

+1 for no studying needed sentiment though. I mean, even if you could effectively study for the ATSAT, what good would it do you? You would only be cheating yourself by making an artificially high aptitude test score for something that you may or may not have the natural aptitude for...

The only positive I could maybe see is for people with major test anxiety where they absolutely MUST see what the test is like before taking it, but then again, is that kind of stressing a good quality for someone wanting to get into ATCing?

You could always just get a job in a letter factory, I mean what study guide can help you more than genuine on-the-job training!

From what I hear, orange A's B's and C's (D's, not so much, but you have to buy the whole box to get the rest...)are in pretty high demand...

I applyied for the letter factory ots, but apparently there is a 8 month application process too.....:laff:

Though I know this is not the correct place for this discussion as there is a tread dedicated to it:

+1 for no studying needed sentiment though. I mean, even if you could effectively study for the ATSAT, what good would it do you? You would only be cheating yourself by making an artificially high aptitude test score for something that you may or may not have the natural aptitude for...

The only positive I could maybe see is for people with major test anxiety where they absolutely MUST see what the test is like before taking it, but then again, is that kind of stressing a good quality for someone wanting to get into ATCing?

Gonna have to disagree with you there, on pretty much every point. There's nothing at all harmful about studying for any test, especially for those of us who have been away from school for some time and needed to brush up on some of our math skills.

As for test anxiety, I can tell you from firsthand experience that test anxiety is a very different monster from just every day anxiety. Part of my current job is to train new hires for 3 weeks on a fairly technical job. We have many tests during this process. Many of the most level headed people I have on the floor right now were people that suffered from a bad case of test anxiety. They would worry themselves sick before a test, but once they hit the floor, they had zero issues.

Anyway, I did get a prep book, and the tests on the CD WERE much harder than the actual test you take, and it does help to have some familiarity with each test. Just don't make the mistake of skipping the instructions during the actual test, as certain aspects are a little different from the practice ones.

Ultimately, unless you have the innate skills to do well on the test in the first place, then no amount of practice will really help you, so I don't think we have to worry about any overinflated test scores.

Studying is very important for this test! Maybe there are some people who can pass well on aptitude alone, but if you really want this job badly then it won't kill you to study an hour or two a week. From what people have said, they don't go by WQ and Q alone, it is in fact by points. And that means that for every faction of a point you earn, you could be a dozen spots higher on a list of thousands of applicants.

Play the online version of the ATC scenerios game and scan game, and give the CD's letter factor a shot even though it's different. The ATC Scenerios game online is dead on, especially. You know how video games are, the more you play the less you have to think about it. The people in my room were crashing planes all over, and I didn't crash a single one.

Practice long division for math! Nearly every question involves division of numbers that don't go evenly into each other in your head. I'm good at math, and I still didn't finish a few questions in that section because I was trying to divide in my head.

Read about the type of analogies that are on there, because they're not the type you've probably done before. Become familiar with them.

I even drew some angles onto flashcards and looked at them.

The material on this test is not hard, the challenge is in the time limit. Most people have the aptitude to handle the material, but they may not do it in time. If you want a good score, get so familiar with the material that you're not thinking about the basics so that you can focus on catching small details when they come up.

I nearly aced it, if that vouches for what I'm saying.

Definitely study. I would say especially the online game options. Something else. This test is scored oddly a crash isnt a death sentence so if you crash dont get rattled. I had a couple and pulled 100 i also was not perfect on the factory either. so I also agree that this is definitely an aptitude test. I think it has alot to do with adapting. i didnt make the same mistake twice on the games. Tip. dont try to cut it too close on the ATC game. I tried to be a little too precise and BOOM

Definitely study. I would say especially the online game options. Something else. This test is scored oddly a crash isnt a death sentence so if you crash dont get rattled. I had a couple and pulled 100 i also was not perfect on the factory either. so I also agree that this is definitely an aptitude test. I think it has alot to do with adapting. i didnt make the same mistake twice on the games. Tip. dont try to cut it too close on the ATC game. I tried to be a little too precise and BOOM

On that note, if the planes get too close on the game and it gives you a warning about it, that is scored the same exact way as a crash!

That happened to me a few times on the longer levels when I had people landing as a result of more than one plane on the same level being vectored in from different directions and meeting too soon.

Just knowing what is coming up next as you move your way through the test is great help. Reading posts, buying the green book, playing Jeremy Justice, making flash cards with angles and practicing time speed and distance problems are in no way going to hurt your score.

I'm just guessing here but I think the situational awareness questions don't even carry that much weight. I guessed on almost question. The headset for the scenarios does nothing to help you play the game. I also turned the volume down after realizing this. I think both the situational awareness questions and sounds of explosions in your ear are just ways to see how you do after being distracted.

Just knowing what is coming up next as you move your way through the test is great help. Reading posts, buying the green book, playing Jeremy Justice, making flash cards with angles and practicing time speed and distance problems are in no way going to hurt your score.

I'm just guessing here but I think the situational awareness questions don't even carry that much weight. I guessed on almost question. The headset for the scenarios does nothing to help you play the game. I also turned the volume down after realizing this. I think both the situational awareness questions and sounds of explosions in your ear are just ways to see how you do after being distracted.

100% the case, connecting the senses makes the game all that harder. Also a little time in the Green Book cant hurt. Simple math is just that, Simple.

Plus I am under full assumption here that even though the cameras are there for "security and protection purposes, that they actually review the tapes and watch everyone take the test and include what they see in the test as well.

Just my .02

zz :)

Back