PUBAK

I've been to AK twice and both times in the summer and its really not that bad at all. Don't get me wrong, its completely weird to check the time and its 1130 and the us is JUST starting to think about setting... Its a plus if you like spending time out doors (my dad and I tapped in on the 18th at 0023 and had little difficulty watching that last drive) Never experienced the winters but my Uncle was also stationed in ANC for 4 years and they said its all hype about the winters. I would take ANC anyday. AFA however is not somewhere that I would want to live ... (been there too)

I was stationed at Eielson AFB (30 miles south of FAI) for three years and let me tell you the winters are no joke. The coldest I saw was -64 and that was without wind chill. Nothing wants to work at that temp. ANC is a seafaring climate and is spoiled with weather scenery and everything else. Another thing about the winter sun is civil twilight. That simply means that when the sun rises and sets, there is about two hours of light (dim) on either side. If you can handle 7+ months of winter temps and you love the outdoors then AK is for you. The summers definitely make up for the winters though. It is always 75-80 and the sun sets for only a couple of hours (depending on latitude). The mosquitoes will eat you alive. Lots of bug spray. I loved it, especially the FAI area. Truly the last frontier.

mmmm sounds like the place for me. cheap wine, marshmallows in my hot chocolate, flannel shirts, camp fires and airplanes.:buck:

As an OTS recently selected for ZAN, I figured it was time to chime in here.

First of all, a friendly correction to:

Also, would it be privy for me to apply here? I've already applied under a PUBNAT2 listing and have already taken the AT-SAT.
You've used the word "privy" incorrectly here. It appears you meant to say something like: "would it be *beneficial* for me...". The word "privy" is a derivative of "private" and means basically to have inside or secret knowledge of something... not a synonym of beneficial... fyi

Furthermore...

I figure it can't hurt to apply. You can always decline an offer, and you might be glad you got it if you don't get an offer somewhere else..

Please give serious consideration to moving to AK before applying here. For whatever reason, I got selected for AK even though I didn't put it in my pref's. Although I would love to live there, there is so much more to consider than just how long the sun shines, and now I'm actually faced with this decision.

Keep in mind the FAA does NOT pay for relocation expense, and if you live in the lower 48, you're looking at $5000-10K just to move there. That's out-of-pocket from you; *cha-ching* goodbye five-thousand bucks.:hiya:
And don't even think about driving there in the winter unless you have a death wish. Feel free to PM me if you want to know more about that.

Anchorage, although relatively small, boasts one of the highest crime rates in the nation. (ranked 319 out of 379--http://www.bestplaces.net/docs/studies/secure_list.aspx )

Groceries are generally shipped in from the lower 48, which means your Wal-Mart bill is 1.5-2x higher.

Wanna buy a house? good luck. A house that costs about $130K here in the FL panhandle, will run you about $320K in Anchorage.

Should I keep going? PM me if you want more. As a married guy faced with a tough decision, I'm telling you, don't be flippant about it. There's a good reason they are hiring like crazy in HI and AK-- because they can't get anyone to go there! Yes, it's fantastically beautiful, but you'll pay out the nose for it.

I guess I'm a little peeved about the flippancy here since I'm in the situation I'm in, so please pardon the harshness. Just think about it.

A
I guess I'm a little peeved about the flippancy here since I'm in the situation I'm in, so please pardon the harshness. Just think about it.

I can see your point, PropCircles.

Doesn't apply to me at all, but I may be in the minority. I'm young, I'm not tied down to anything or anyone, I don't own much stuff...I could throw all my belongings in a few suitcases, mail out a few boxes, and resettle anywhere. I've lived 4 places in NJ, PA, New Orleans, all in the past 5 years.

But for someone with a lot of material stuff or personal ties, I can see how the things in your post would be important to consider!

Lucky me, I'm a nomad :) I'll take an ATC job anywhere and then move later if I don't like it, if it means getting my foot in the door.

"Testing will be conducted in: Alaska"

Is this going to be some different test or they just trying to attract people who currently live in AK. Would I have to retake it in Alaska if I already took ATSAT this month?

I checked with OKC and if you have already taken the test, you do not have to re-take it. If you have not taken the test, you need to fly to either Alaska or Hawaii (whichever you're applying for) just to take the test.

Don't worry if you didn't check off "Temp" employment in your app. I didn't either, and I have a PEPC date in Chicago. I called HR about this early on, and one woman told me that the job was def. a full time position, they just had to list it as temp since you were hiring in for the academy first then transferring to your location. Another lady told me it would be a problem, but the second lady said that it wasn't and the other lady didn't have a clue! Not that it's any clearer now ><

"Testing will be conducted in: Alaska"

Is this going to be some different test or they just trying to attract people who currently live in AK. Would I have to retake it in Alaska if I already took ATSAT this month?

You won't have to retake the test... it's for new applicants... the AT-SAT will ONLY be conducted in Alaska for this announcement.

got an email today to see if still interested in AK but have to fly there to test. not going to beable to do that

The AT-SAT is good for 3 years, as long as you have taken it before you should be cool. I got that email today also. Sorry, I did not notice your signature. Hope and pray you take the test for PUBNAT 4 before they get to Alaska.

I got that email also.

I told them I only want to work in a center, and that if there are no center positions left that I will decline the offer.

In other news, if they're about to send AT-SAT invites then this is really moving pretty quickly.

In other news, if they're about to send AT-SAT invites then this is really moving pretty quickly.

I was thinking the same thing, I got screwed over for PUBNAT 2 geo prefs, but I thought I had a bit of time before this came up. I'm thinking if I decline Alaska, I wont get to OKC until summer 09.

I was thinking the same thing, I got screwed over for PUBNAT 2 geo prefs, but I thought I had a bit of time before this came up. I'm thinking if I decline Alaska, I wont get to OKC until summer 09.

I know the replies were to decline only, but I risked it and said:

I have already taken the AT-SAT with a score of 98.

If there are no positions left at the ARTCC, then I decline the application.

If there are positions, then I will keep the application open.
Worst comes to worst they decline it because I replied there. No huge deal. I'm only going to AK if it means ZAN.

If I had to travel there for the AT-SAT I'd have turned it down.

Hopefully by the time they're done AT-SATing I'll have received geographic preferences for PUBNAT3. If somehow they are done testing and location stuff before PUBNAT3 gets geographic preferences I'll probably be impatient enough to move out there.

I know the replies were to decline only, but I risked it and said:

I have already taken the AT-SAT with a score of 98.

If there are no positions left at the ARTCC, then I decline the application.

If there are positions, then I will keep the application open.

Worst comes to worst they decline it because I replied there. No huge deal. I'm only going to AK if it means ZAN.

If I had to travel there for the AT-SAT I'd have turned it down.

Hopefully by the time they're done AT-SATing I'll have received geographic preferences for PUBNAT3. If somehow they are done testing and location stuff before PUBNAT3 gets geographic preferences I'll probably be impatient enough to move out there.

Whoa, i am having total Deja Vu. I sware I just read this. :p

Back