PSA 33 Downgrade, 49 FO Furloughs

EDIT TO ADD: Ok, maybe that came across as a little harsh... But, I've been dealing with a guy on the in house web board that routinely posts crap that is inflammatory, libelous and often times downright personally insulting, and then when the heat gets too hot he goes back and deletes everything he said and pretends it never happened. Then a few weeks later he starts up again. And god forbid somebody say ANYTHING bad about him. You do that and he starts calling for Article VIII proceedings.

It's become something of a pet peeve of mine.

Ah yes, I know the type. Had one or two of them on the airlinkpilots.com message board. Nothing is more of a pain in the ass than an idiot who only knows enough of the Bylaws to make himself look like a jackass. PCL_128's rule #453 about ALPA: if someone who doesn't hold a union rep position is calling for Article VIII proceedings, then that person usually has a two-digit IQ.

Thirdly, the MEC did actually make an attempt to help you out by proposing an assessment to cover your COBRA payments (if you were going to use COBRA) but regrettably only 30 something percent of the pilot group bothered to vote and of that 30% about 60+% didn't want to help out.

Wow. That's just....sad.

I'm not saying it is right or wrong, but just to put things in perspective a bit... Here at XJT we are VERY short-staffed in our Continental Express operation, and there have been reassignments like crazy. Yet, we are still planning downgrades and furloughs in October. It is largely due to the Branded and Delta operation closure, but also due to block hour FORECASTS from Continental. Thing is, those forecasts constantly change. We have had months where our block hours were scheduled to be at a certain level, and two days before the month starts we are thrown a ton of flying. What should management do, say "no thanks, we don't need the flying or the money." So they accept the flying, and suddenly reserve coverage goes out the window.

I think many of the regionals could do a better job at crew planning, but often their hands are tied due to the nature of our business model. We are contract workers. Plans change, sometimes for the best, sometimes for the worst.

That's why I say it's best to stay the course, keep a positive attitude, and roll with the punches. You never know when plans might change, and suddenly your impending furlough disappears and you're in line for an 18 month upgrade. Things are WAY to fluid in this industry. I know it is VERY hard to stay positive when you are worried how you will feed your family. But it is worth it to keep a level head... for your health, for your family, for your sanity, and for your career plans down the road.

yeap you are right Phuz I should sit on the back and listen to the old-timers.... meanwhile more pilots like me are on the street.... is more fun to watch and no to act, isn't?

the show must go on...

Can you define "old timers", young man? :)

Here's some quick data:

37 years old
10.5 years at Southernjets
2 years at Skyway
1.5 years of flight instructing
Several years of odd jobs, fly this there (and we SWEAR we'll pay ya! yuk yuk) and navel contemplation after college.

Just curious!

well we were 27 now close to 80 at this pace by the end of the year what 200?... what are we going to do ??? ....

one more thing when we got furlough the oil price was close to 140 now is 124 ... it is kind of weird the keep furloughing people.... why only psa ? how about mainline and piedmont??? even Airwisky....

Not necessarily trying to start anything with you but what exactly are you trying to say? Are you implying that only PSA is furloughing? Over here, at AWAC, we just got the realignment notice and there are 66 of us that will also be on the street on Sept. 1st. (I'm on that list also). You guys aren't the only ones that are taking the hits from mainline though.

I will apologize in advanced if this comes off the wrong way. Hasn't exactly been a great day off :banghead:

Goodluck to everyone at RAH and PSA, well and now AWAC.

You thought about your belly button after college?

Thinking of getting it pierced maybe?

:D:crazy:

Nah, i just call 1993 thru about 1994 "Doug Taylor: The Lost Years".

Primarily running around, wondering why job offers weren't rolling in with my whopping 300 hours and a BS in Aeronautical Science from ERAU.

Then... "The Awakening" ;)

All I am going to say is, whatever you do, don't rock the boat. Keep a positive attitude, ride it out, and let the chips fall as they may. This is a very small industry, and you don't want to "go out with a bang" then come back six months later hoping nobody remembers you walking around saluting with your middle finger.

None of us are immune to this. I'm fully aware I could downgrade to FO. If I do, I'll just appreciate the great schedule and ride it out. But don't be the guy who pisses everyone off as you walk out the door... You don't want anyone to lock it when you come back.

These are tough times. Try to stay positive, and when things turn around you'll be at the forefront of the upswing. The pilots at the majors aren't getting younger, even if they retire at 65 now.

I'm not sure what you're talking about, YOU BRANDED #####!!!

(Inside joke about a company pilot that made a complete ass of himself during a company conference call. It was impressive to say the least)

I'm not sure what you're talking about, YOU BRANDED #####!!!

(Inside joke about a company pilot that made a complete ass of himself during a company conference call. It was impressive to say the least)

Oh, was THAT the guy Eric was talking about in the chat room during the call? :)

Not necessarily trying to start anything with you but what exactly are you trying to say? Are you implying that only PSA is furloughing? Over here, at AWAC, we just got the realignment notice and there are 66 of us that will also be on the street on Sept. 1st. (I'm on that list also). You guys aren't the only ones that are taking the hits from mainline though.

I will apologize in advanced if this comes off the wrong way. Hasn't exactly been a great day off :banghead:

Goodluck to everyone at RAH and PSA, well and now AWAC.

Oh no !!! off course I know the problem is for everybody.... is just sad the lack of partnership in the PSA pilot group

Nah, i just call 1993 thru about 1994 "Doug Taylor: The Lost Years".

Primarily running around, wondering why job offers weren't rolling in with my whopping 300 hours and a BS in Aeronautical Science from ERAU.

Then... "The Awakening" ;)

Wow, so everyone has one of those?

I spent 2002-2004 wondering why no one was calling me to fly GV's with my 320TT and 7MULTI. Then I realized I should probably listen to people and go flight instruct....

Good to know I wasn't alone!

Oh no !!! off course I know the problem is for everybody.... is just sad the lack of partnership in the PSA pilot group

Yeah, just thought I would see where you were headed with that. Hate to hear how things are going over there. Goodluck.

I spent 2002-2004 wondering why no one was calling me to fly GV's with my 320TT and 7MULTI. Then I realized I should probably listen to people and go flight instruct....

Primarily why I'm so passionate when a low-timer tells me I'm standing in the middle of his success path by not cheerily endorsing Jet University. Better, less expensive and more fulfilling ways to go about *becoming* an airline pilot than throwing Key Bank loans at some hooligans, yes? :)

What specifically do you suggest they do?

If there was anything that could be done don't you think that the guys with ALOT more experience would be suggesting it?

Tough times are upon us, when you sign up to be on the bottom of a seniority list you have be especially aware of the potential of a furlough.

I hope you find some work, but please dont do this:
fly for anything!!!

I think everyone has one of those phases. Some just last longer than others.

;)

No doubt. Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt!

The fortunate thing that people have these days are people that have been down that road that are willing to offer a swift kick to the butt to keep that "clueless" period to a minimum.

Except during Doug's time flight schools were hiring like the regionals are now, barely, except they paid very little back then compared to now. When majority of flight schools stop hiring then we may have pilots in quite a career crunch. As bad as it is we STILL have it better than the old timers...

Except during Doug's time flight schools were hiring like the regionals are now, barely, except they paid very little back then compared to now. When majority of flight schools stop hiring then we may have pilots in quite a career crunch. As bad as it is we STILL have it better than the old timers...

I believe Doug just got called "old timer". :nana2:

Back