Pro Helo Pilot Forum

RynoB said:
We once made a fuel stop in Walnut Ridge, AR (if memory serves correct). There was a flight of 6 Blackhawks, though one had a MX problem and remained on the ground. I was amazed at how the 5 departing hawks started their rotors, started taxiing, turned onto the taxiway, and then departed at the same time. Everything seemed perfectly synchronized. My only complaint was that their strobes were not flashing at the same time :sarcasm: . My hat is definitely off to you military pilots for the precision of your flying. It was truly a beautiful sight. Keep up the good work.:rawk:

Thanks! A lot of times at civil airports we used to really ham it up for spectators by doing really precision stuff like that. It's all coordinated over the radio so it's pretty easy to synchronize.

And to answer your other question, the PIC can sit in either seat. We routinely swap seats - really at the discretion of the PIC. In the chinook the left seater reads the checklist and starts the engines and is considered the "co-pilot" seat, and the right seat is the pilots seat. I used to switch up depending on mood or experience level of my PI. If it was a real mission and we needed to get going I'd sit in the left seat to get engine start done quickly. Other times I simply didn't feel like reading the checklist so I'd sit right.

You know... it just figures the morning that the helo forum is created none of the helo guys are on.

I am on now just sleepy, I go to work at 0400. I should probably go to bed earlier but I stay up until 0000 most nights.

I am on, just for five more minutes. I gotta go fly NVGs. If I can I'll get on from a unit's PC. Hushh! don't tell Uncle Sam.

I have to drive for 1 hour from Mandeville, LA to Navy New Orleans. N.O. traffic sucks. My report time is at 1400. I'm doing an instrument flight at 1600 then comes NVGs at 1930.

I dont get your helo humor:(

Ive got a few questions, Ill post when Im off school, Id rather be flying helos.

n57flyguy said:
I dont get your helo humor:(

Ive got a few questions, Ill post when Im off school, Id rather be flying helos.
The Rotorcraft Flying Handbook by the FAA is a good source if you are interested in rotors. Even though I've quit training (for now) I still refer to it from time to time to keep the bug alive.

RynoB said:
The Rotorcraft Flying Handbook by the FAA is a good source if you are interested in rotors. Even though I've quit training (for now) I still refer to it from time to time to keep the bug alive.

Thanks Ryan, Ill check that out.

YOu changed your avatar, I liked your old one!!! Of course a Blackhawk is always beastly. I see them fly over my house coming/going to Dover AFB. I also see some Apaches, thats rare though. Theres also this one lone Huey that flies around.

n57flyguy said:
Thanks Ryan, Ill check that out.

YOu changed your avatar, I liked your old one!!! Of course a Blackhawk is always beastly. I see them fly over my house coming/going to Dover AFB. I also see some Apaches, thats rare though. Theres also this one lone Huey that flies around.
Did you see what is below the Blackhawk. That is what makes it a keeper.:)

Back