Pro Helo Pilot Forum

scottyboy75 said:
The website www.jsfim.com has tons of listings for both types of pilots. I use this to guide how I fly when I train. This is why I have more night time than most of my instructors.

I find a lot of jobs specify "night unaided" as a requirement. I assume then all my NVG hours mean little. That would suck... and flying NVGs low-level, doing NVG dust landings, and hooking slings loads under goggles is pretty darn challenging. You think they'd give us credit for all that.

I think though there are a few ems operators that are going NVG. I saw along time ago that Bell was running a NVG class trying to get people certified. I don't remeber much about it. I think I saw it in Vertical Magazine but don't remember. Would any night you get flying airplanes count?

scottyboy75 said:
Can't let it die must keep it going.
Breathe, darn you breathe.

No... it WILL not die. I will post on this thread every day, even if ts just some musings or a shopping list.

Here's what I propose... start another thread in General Topics suggesting fixed wing guys come here and ask any little thing... any question at all, any aerodynamic property, any flight maneuver question, any starting salary question, in helo FAR specific.... ANYTHING that they have about helicopters.

What do you think?

Question....just to keep ourselves occupied and this thread alive.

Where in the FARs is there mention of multiengine helicopters? Gotcha! he he he. :banghead:

Although I am currently a fixed-wing PPL, I have a fascination with helicopters. I've been deciding whether to go get my Instrument rating for fixed-wing, or to get my PPL for helictopers? I was just at the Ft. Lauderdale air and sea show where they performed a USMC beach invasion with Cobras, Chinooks, and Hueys, along with ground troops, and amphibious vehicles. It was quite impressive to see the helicopters in action. Anyways, to make a long story short, glad to see some helicopter pilots on this forum, and I'm here to support.

I'll create one if you guys bring helo friends and keep it alive, but 'life support' ain't gonna cut it! ;)

Here's a question. What do you think is the best training helicopter? (from the students standpoint) I'm asking more along the lines of the R22 and 300C/CBi since they are the most common in today's training environment. Although, I'll take opinions on any helicopter.

This question actually gets asked a lot. It gets quite heated sometimes. It just depends on what you want. The Robinson overall is more popular. Why? I think mostly based on cost per hour. The 300 CBi is a good stable ship but tends to be a hangar queen. I have time in both and find things I like about both.
The R-22 start up is easy and engaging the clutch is easy. It has a govenor to help maintain rotor rpm. Also the Lycoming engine is nearly bulletproof. The engine has been derated to an output of 127 hp which keeps the wear and tear to a minimum. Downside maximum weight per seat is about 227 pounds. To actually carry that much you have to decrease the amount fuel you can carry. You have to be real careful about shooting autos as rotor rpm can decrease rapidly and thats bad. It does have a higher vne than the 300 CBi and tends to fly more nose level.
300 CBi has a lot of history it is the old Hughes 269 trainer. Schweizer bought the design 20 something years ago and has not changed the design much it is a fuel injected engine so icing is not so much of a concern. The start up can be somewhat tricky as you have to engage the clutch, disengage when engine rpm and rengage it. It is does not have a govenor and you have to be on the throttle to maintain rotor rpm. It is a little bit easier because of the fully articulated rotor system, this compensates for coriolis effect. The rotor system keeps the rpms stable and makes the auto easy to control. She tends to fly nose low and a little slower than the 22. The max seat weight is about 260 so it is nicer for big guys like me to fit in. Cost per hour is somewhat higher. The engine and drive sytem are a little more complex so they require more work.
I guess my rantings lead to my conclusion that it all comes down to money. If budgets are tight and and even 50 dollars an hour can make the difference between keeping or losing students the 22 wins. It all comes down to the fact that Frank Robinson posistioned his helicopter to be the most cost effective trainer. Which is funny because he never intended for this to happen. This is why there are SFARs that cover this specific ship. They have helped to reduce the amount of accidents and deaths overall.
Sorry abou the long rant. I hope it helps.

AP2B said:
With the chinook's flight control system; is this feat as amazing as it looks?View attachment 713

Yes and no... a few things make that maneuver ( a pinnacle landing - or two-wheel landing tough.) First of all... you can't see where you're landing. Imagine in that pic how it looks from the pilot's perspective - all he sees is sky. His only cues come from directions given by the crew chief. (i.e. right 3-2-1,, back 3, down 5,4,3,2,1 - aft wheel contact). Once you are down it isn't too difficult to keep the wheels down, unless you are on a pinnacle. In that case, there is only a little winds coming through the aft rotor system, but a lot of updrafts coming up the slope and hitting your forward rotor system, making it want to fly. Can get dicey at times.

scottyboy75 said:
This question actually gets asked a lot. It gets quite heated sometimes. It just depends on what you want. The Robinson overall is more popular. Why? I think mostly based on cost per hour. The 300 CBi is a good stable ship but tends to be a hangar queen. I have time in both and find things I like about both.
The R-22 start up is easy and engaging the clutch is easy. It has a govenor to help maintain rotor rpm. Also the Lycoming engine is nearly bulletproof. The engine has been derated to an output of 127 hp which keeps the wear and tear to a minimum. Downside maximum weight per seat is about 227 pounds. To actually carry that much you have to decrease the amount fuel you can carry. You have to be real careful about shooting autos as rotor rpm can decrease rapidly and thats bad. It does have a higher vne than the 300 CBi and tends to fly more nose level.
300 CBi has a lot of history it is the old Hughes 269 trainer. Schweizer bought the design 20 something years ago and has not changed the design much it is a fuel injected engine so icing is not so much of a concern. The start up can be somewhat tricky as you have to engage the clutch, disengage when engine rpm and rengage it. It is does not have a govenor and you have to be on the throttle to maintain rotor rpm. It is a little bit easier because of the fully articulated rotor system, this compensates for coriolis effect. The rotor system keeps the rpms stable and makes the auto easy to control. She tends to fly nose low and a little slower than the 22. The max seat weight is about 260 so it is nicer for big guys like me to fit in. Cost per hour is somewhat higher. The engine and drive sytem are a little more complex so they require more work.
I guess my rantings lead to my conclusion that it all comes down to money. If budgets are tight and and even 50 dollars an hour can make the difference between keeping or losing students the 22 wins. It all comes down to the fact that Frank Robinson posistioned his helicopter to be the most cost effective trainer. Which is funny because he never intended for this to happen. This is why there are SFARs that cover this specific ship. They have helped to reduce the amount of accidents and deaths overall.
Sorry abou the long rant. I hope it helps.

Heck... I learned a lot from that! Thanks Scotty.

RynoB said:
Here's a question. What do you think is the best training helicopter? (from the students standpoint) I'm asking more along the lines of the R22 and 300C/CBi since they are the most common in today's training environment. Although, I'll take opinions on any helicopter.

Bell 206 Jet Ranger! Go turbines from the start! :)

Okay, probably not a cost effective trainer for the civilian student I guess...

Doug Taylor said:
I'll create one if you guys bring helo friends and keep it alive, but 'life support' ain't gonna cut it! ;)

"If you build it, they will come..."

UH60driver said:
Question....just to keep ourselves occupied and this thread alive.

Where in the FARs is there mention of multiengine helicopters? Gotcha! he he he. :banghead:

I remeber that part! That's the part where it says all multi-engine turbine helicopter time will be respected and counted in the fixed wing world! :rawk:

Or was that a dream I had? There was also something about poodles and clowns so I can't be sure...

Back