PPL failures nearly 50%

We had a sub-30 year old person in upgrade recently that was live streaming in the sim during repositioning…his sim partner was in my class and less than impressed
I have a 35 year old student in my school that watches anime in the redbird simulator when he's supposed to be "practicing" a VFR solo cross country prior to the real thing. I routinely walk into the room to check on them and make sure things are going well. When I was a kid and got caught doing something I wasn't supposed to be doing, I felt shame and embarrassment. They don't feel shame and embarrassment. They get angry that they were caught. We literally had one student ask us what's to stop him from just making up hours in his logbook to qualify for the commercial rating. We all looked at each other in disbelief. It's one thing to secretly think this internally, its another to come out and say it with a bold face without fear of ramifications. A week later an instructor called me with concerns about his "anger" in the plane during lessons. "He demands we solo him immediately, he yells at instructors when we try and correct him on a maneuver". Upon contacting other instructors he's flown with, I get the same remarks about him. When I place a call to him to have a friendly chat, he proceeds to tell me, "my parents taught me that I need to demand everything I want because no one is going to give it to me". I proceed to nicely explain to him that this isn't McDonalds and he's not ordering a big mac. He then hangs up the phone on my face. An hour later, after he has been administratively removed from the school, he calls in from a different phone number. The first words out of his mouth are in a absolute yelling raging fit. He's an extreme case, but just letting you guys know, theres a lot of these kids coming up the ranks and they'll be flying right seat for you in very short order.

I have a 35 year old student in my school that watches anime in the redbird simulator when he's supposed to be "practicing" a VFR solo cross country prior to the real thing. I routinely walk into the room to check on them and make sure things are going well. When I was a kid and got caught doing something I wasn't supposed to be doing, I felt shame and embarrassment. They don't feel shame and embarrassment. They get angry that they were caught. We literally had one student ask us what's to stop him from just making up hours in his logbook to qualify for the commercial rating. We all looked at each other in disbelief. It's one thing to secretly think this internally, its another to come out and say it with a bold face without fear of ramifications. A week later an instructor called me with concerns about his "anger" in the plane during lessons. "He demands we solo him immediately, he yells at instructors when we try and correct him on a maneuver". Upon contacting other instructors he's flown with, I get the same remarks about him. When I place a call to him to have a friendly chat, he proceeds to tell me, "my parents taught me that I need to demand everything I want because no one is going to give it to me". I proceed to nicely explain to him that this isn't McDonalds and he's not ordering a big mac. He then hangs up the phone on my face. An hour later, after he has been administratively removed from the school, he calls in from a different phone number. The first words out of his mouth are in a absolute yelling raging fit. He's an extreme case, but just letting you guys know, theres a lot of these kids coming up the ranks and they'll be flying right seat for you in very short order.

If this 35 yr. old is watching Bleach: Thousand-Year Blood War. Let the man watch his anime in peace. He's got good taste! :D

On a more serious note, that one student sounds like headache. Glad you cut him and now he's someone elses problem.

Eh, I filmed my last approach & landing in the 717 before “retiring” from airline flying. I’m glad I have it as a memento.

And that’s a unique occasion, that makes sense and is indeed a memento event. I’m more thinking the guys who do this as some kind of norm every flight for some weirdo reason…..and then post them often too. :)

People spend tens of thousands of dollars to "authentically replicate" (in their basements) doing stuff I try as hard as I possibly can to avoid doing. It's strange, strange world. I was thinking about this coasting in over Cannuckistan this morning. Like seven dudes who totally do not want to be there just watching the clock tick down excruciatingly slowly. Fidgeting. Packing their stuff up way earlier than is really necessary. Changing out of their PJs. Staring at the FMS Progress screen like maybe it'll give me back a minute or two of my life when the shortcut comes. But with all of the mental gymnastics, you always land within ~10 minutes of what it says on the flightplan, usually more like 2.

Out there, somewhere, though, there's some dude who would saw off his left nut to be there, you know "in the action". We are odd creatures.

I'm no exception, mind you. There's probably some factory driver who is just sick to death of flogging a GT4RS around the Nurburgring. Grass is always greener, or something, I suppose.

My grandpa told me that "airline good times are dead now" (He retired in December of 1984, just before Carl Icahn bought TWA). Said to do what I want to do, but EVERYTHING becomes a job at some point. And the most fun he had was flying his Wacos and Howard and other stuff. Not the jets.

My grandpa told me that "airline good times are dead now" (He retired in December of 1984, just before Carl Icahn bought TWA). Said to do what I want to do, but EVERYTHING becomes a job at some point. And the most fun he had was flying his Wacos and Howard and other stuff. Not the jets.
I can remember flying with the one whose name shall not be spoken in his Baron and he said it was his favorite, relatively low and slow and not complicated.

My primary bitch with GoPro are people setting it up inside the plane pointing out the nose, with some panel view, or on the wing struts pointed...to the cockpit area. This applies to neat airplanes. I don't give a coil what the view looking over the nose in the Travel Air/Waco/Howard/Stinson you're in is - I've seen that, and they all look roughly the same. I also am not interested in the view of you in the cockpit of those neat planes from the N-struts pointing to the cockpit. I want to see the airplane. Not you. The worst are aerobatic GoPros using the same vantage point, or even better - looking backward toward the tail and seeing aerobatics backward behind the pilot. I want to see the airplane doing the actual aerobatics. Unless you're Bob Hoover in a Shrike pouring tea while you execute a perfect roll, keeping 1g on the airplane the entire time...then I have no interest in seeing you. GTFO.
And get off my lawn.

My primary bitch with GoPro are people setting it up inside the plane pointing out the nose, with some panel view, or on the wing struts pointed...to the cockpit area. This applies to neat airplanes. I don't give a coil what the view looking over the nose in the Travel Air/Waco/Howard/Stinson you're in is - I've seen that, and they all look roughly the same. I also am not interested in the view of you in the cockpit of those neat planes from the N-struts pointing to the cockpit. I want to see the airplane. Not you. The worst are aerobatic GoPros using the same vantage point, or even better - looking backward toward the tail and seeing aerobatics backward behind the pilot. I want to see the airplane doing the actual aerobatics. Unless you're Bob Hoover in a Shrike pouring tea while you execute a perfect roll, keeping 1g on the airplane the entire time...then I have no interest in seeing you. GTFO.
And get off my lawn.

But these people NEED you and everyone else to see them. They need the attention, and the likes. And would likely die, or even kill themselves, if one day there was no more social media and they were unable to get people to “look at ME!!!”

Imma need a SouthernJets pilot to help me with this. Kinda like Frank Lucas had guys working the incoming flights from Vietnam where they were smuggling heroin in the caskets coming back. Okay...here's the plan.

All these guys building ridiculously expensive garage sim setups to play airline captain. Money is obviously not an object. My new wrinkle - sell them RealDolls - and for an upgrade they can be in the Delta red dress - basically get a Christina Hendricks Real Doll, put her in the Delta red dress and BOOM! They can harass/sex/mile-high club in their garage sim. Just like a real airline captain!

I will sell these dolls for YUGE money. I will be a billionaire. I'm like Steve Jobs - sometimes you gotta invent the product that people don't even know they need yet.

Personally, I always enjoyed flying jets. It was the lifestyle and other BS that I didn’t care for, not the jet flying.

Personally, I always enjoyed flying jets.

What the hell did you like about it? The hours of staring out the window? Being in a confined space with some number of other humans who also don't really want to be there? I mean I like most of the guys (or chicks, I refuse to deploy the term "gals" because I'm not from the Midwest) I fly with (to varying degrees), but I think both they and I would be happier if we weren't. It's not like I *hate* it, but I can find better things to do with my time if someone wants to pay me the same dosh, no problem, like instantly. I've a few ideas already!

What the hell did you like about it? The hours of staring out the window? Being in a confined space with some number of other humans who also don't really want to be there? I mean I like most of the guys (or chicks, I refuse to deploy the term "gals" because I'm not from the Midwest) I fly with (to varying degrees), but I think both they and I would be happier if we weren't. It's not like I *hate* it, but I can find better things to do with my time if someone wants to pay me the same dosh, no problem, like instantly. I've a few ideas already!

Well, the sharing of confined space with someone else is what I categorized as “other BS.” But I also did a very different kind of flying than you. You spend 10 hours sitting in cruise, I bid for legs that were generally under 90 minutes, so there wasn’t a lot of just sitting around and staring out a window.

Well, the sharing of confined space with someone else is what I categorized as “other BS.” But I also did a very different kind of flying than you. You spend 10 hours sitting in cruise, I bid for legs that were generally under 90 minutes, so there wasn’t a lot of just sitting around and staring out a window.

So moar ILSes to the same places day after day, month after month, year after year? The only thing I ever liked much about aviation appliance operation (qua aviation appliance operation, itself) was the challenge (and maybe to some degree the trepidation, even possibly a little bit of the fear). That's *LONG* gone, decades gone. Fundamentally, I'm exchanging the experience I gathered doing fun-but-dangerous for money. Full stop. Four approaches a night or one, it's the same crap, now, zero delta between.

Don't get it twisted, I'm very happy and feel fortunate to have the opportunity to exchange my experience for filthy lucre, but this is just work, nothing more (workworkworkworkCONTRACTworkworkworkwork)

You know anyone who quit the airline game? Maybe they had a family business which was more remunerative? Maybe they even enjoyed it?

Back