PPL failures nearly 50%

That’s some kind of thing these days. What is so special about some boring ass airline flight that someone would want to take the time and effort to film it? Yeah, I can see if you’re bombing a bridge or strafing an AAA position, wanting to film those, but some boring ass routine flight?

join Instagram. It’s chock full of people that seek validation for very basic accomlishments.
ic

Re: soloing at 25hrs -

ya, not at a busy towered field on my ticket. Maybe if it's a gifted student who already has a ton of experience flying around with his dad in the family skywagon, but not the usual student.

Stick and rudder wise, most people are ready no problem. It's all the other stuff they need to be proficient at to be signed off - mainly radio and local airspace. Even the most gung- Ho hard studying student requires hours of experience to achieve a minimum competence.

It's one thing to solo out of an Iowa corn field in a radioless cub. Quite another to solo at a busy Class C with a significant amount of commercial jet traffic.
Average solo sign off hrs for me (+5000hrs DG) is 27. Fewest hrs to solo sign off was 7.3. Same class D towered airport under class B and class C airspace.

When I was getting my PPL, we had another student blow through a TFR on his solo cross country(NASA was within an hour of launching a satellite). After the school and Feds did their investigation it turned out his CFI saw and approved his route. He lost his job and not sure what the FAA did to him.

Average solo sign off hrs for me (+5000hrs DG) is 27. Fewest hrs to solo sign off was 7.3. Same class D towered airport under class B and class C airspace.

Sounds like FRG.....I instructed there for almost 2 years. Under the JFK/LGA Bravo and butting up on the Islip C to the East. Then throw in a ton of GA traffic of all types (students, biz jets etc) and there's no way a student is soloing anywhere near 10 hrs. You could spend half the lesson just taxiing out for TO. On the one hand students come out of there sharp in terms of gaining situational awareness, radio skills, but on the other hand they can't compare themselves to the sub-10 hour Iowa crew.

As an owner of a flight school, we train 150ish students a year and do about 70-75 checkrides a year. More than 50% of The generation that is coming thru now has major major deficiencies in general in the way parents have brought them up and it is now reflecting poorly on them. None of them were taught to think for themselves. I took 2 years of auto shop in high school that helped me start to figure my way around mechanical things. They have been raised to Google everything. They have zero hands on experience when it comes to anything practical, let alone an airplane. They have huge entitlement issues and try to get by with the minimal amount of work. We practically yell at them daily to get their written tests done and nothing ever gets done. Laziness is an understatement. If I could best describe it in a few words: “I’m here, you owe me”.
This is what happens when you give prizes for 8th place. I deal with this exact issue on a daily basis from the same industry this article is written about. I solod at 15 hours at SNA and we can’t get them to solo in less than 25. Most are taking 30-40. The instructors teaching them are of a different mindset. There is no sense of urgency or passion, everything is at a casual pace. Flame away

Send the google generation this link when you fail them :)

Semi joking but the part at 2:40 ? Lot of kids missing it these days.

My oldest was in 7th grade last year. If she missed a homework assignment the teachers would email her and give her until the end of the week to do it with no penalty. We asked them to stop and hold
Her accountable. Last year was rough - she didn’t like it. This year she’s been working hard and getting good grades. She’s actually proud of the work she is doing, and the recognition that comes with doing well. Something that would have been completely missed because they didn’t want to be too harsh last year. Much better to fail when you’re young, than to make it all the way to adulthood before you experience that for the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s some kind of thing these days. What is so special about some boring ass airline flight that someone would want to take the time and effort to film it? Yeah, I can see if you’re bombing a bridge or strafing an AAA position, wanting to film those, but some boring ass routine flight?

Eh, I filmed my last approach & landing in the 717 before “retiring” from airline flying. I’m glad I have it as a memento.

My oldest was in 7th grade last year. If she missed a homework assignment the teachers would email her and give her until the end of the week to do it with no penalty.

Apparently this is the norm nowadays. My soon-to-be stepson is a freshman, and all of his teachers just send reminders for missed work, and if he turns it in before the end of the semester, he gets full credit. My fiancé thinks it’s a great thing, but I think they’re teaching him terrible lessons about deadlines and personal responsibility. This is exactly why Gen Z can’t function in the real world.

Back