Power Off 180s

Air Transat flight 236 to the Azores islands. The ultimate engines out glide at night to a touchdown

As per above, it wasn't just fun, it was a reminder that you can actually fly the damned thing, and do it well.

This is why airline pilots buy airplanes. Too stupidly expensive to be a humblebrag, a Ferrari is way cheaper. It's a desire to utilize skills built up over a lifetime and which are basically surplus to requirements at this point.

Not that I'm thinking about buying an airplane! Fiscal insanity! I'd never use it! Money pit! Etc. Etc.
Seven years into ownership, have never looked back. Flew this morning, always idle, full flaps off the "perch", slip as necessary.

At my former school the DPE's definitely didn't allow go-arounds for Power-Off 180's other than for external reasons (tower calls it, etc.).

Their reasoning was the ACS provides a go-around skill element for every landing except a Power-Off 180:

View attachment 65503

Because that element is omitted for the Power Off 180, they deemed it a one attempt only event.

Yup.

And some DPEs might say, “huh, there was a deer there wasn’t there? Good thing you went around.”

Or so I’ve…heard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yup.

And some DPEs might say, “huh, there was a deer there wasn’t there? Good thing you went around.”

Or so I’ve…heard.

I’ve never been big on the “you have one chance” thing, if evaluating someone. I’ve given numerous EPs as a check pilot that the evaluatees have screwed up. Climb back up, recognize where your error was, and do it again. Simple enough. Namely because the only times pilots get to practice EPs is either at recurrent, or with an IP onboard. Which is basically once a year.

Do any boats have a higher resale value than when purchased? They seem like money pits, generally speaking. Like a very high end sports car. :)

Generally yes, and depending on region. 2022 is a unique time, but a friend of mine bought a single engine center console boat in 2017. Then ran the props off the thing for four years, put about 450 hours on it and blew the engine. It sat for about three months trying to decide rebuild or replace with a serviceable or sell it. He decided to list it, and sold it as is with the blown engine for more than he bought the boat for in 2017. Basically had the boat for free for five years.

Last edited:
Generally yes, and depending on region. 2022 is a unique time, but a friend of mine bought a single engine center console boat in 2017. Then ran the props off the thing for four years, put about 450 hours on it and blew the engine. It sat for about three months trying to decide rebuild, replace with a serviceable or sell it. He decided to list it, and sold the it as is with the blown engine for more than he bought the boat for in 2017. Basically had the boat for free for five years.

Wow…that’s not bad at all. Made out well. Someone must have really wanted that model, or maybe already had everything needed to fix it up. Well done!

Wow…that’s not bad at all. Made out well. Someone must have really wanted that model, or maybe already had everything needed to fix it up. Well done!

Airplanes are not much different right now, the popular light trainers are nearly double what they were five or ten years ago. Demand is through the roof. Bush planes are even worse due to the surge in popularity of bush flying from the Pateys and other YouTube influencers.

Anyone got tried and a true tips for power off 180s? I’ve got my CSEL coming up and have got worse at them over time somehow, usually being fast and high floating past the landing point. Thinking I need to turn base later than I am just worried about getting too far out. I’m in a 172 if that matters..
Are you talking departure-leg, engine-fail power off 180s?? If so, your best bet in most cases is NOT to attempt. Once you get really good and really familiar with the correct particular aircraft type, you might make it work under certain circumstances. Else, the generally accepted best-practice is... "TO NOT TO!"

Probably told this one before, but it goes with the theme. I pulled up under the ridiculous awning at Wilson Air Memphis in, I dunno, 2009 or so in my absolutely beat-to-• MU-2. And there was a gorgeous, pristine Falcon 900 sitting under there just preening its feathers. So I sort of hobble out of the crapbox and start walking in to the FBO (looking homeless AF) so I can sign the fuel ticket and get exiled to the litrully broken futon in the back room. But on the way the F/O of the Falcon button-holes me and says: "hey. I know that plane. I used to fly it". And because the paint has been put on with the lightest of brushes, we walk around the airplane and you actually CAN still see the "Gale Force Cargo" paint, underneath. Dude says "Man, I miss those days. You'll never be a better pilot than you are right now". I was like "yeah, man, this is great. Wanna trade?"

He left. Didn't seem interested in the Trade.

That's more or less my view on these things.
Jeebus. "Litrully" been there, done that. Had almost precisely that same convo. You're a great writer, brother. I "felt" you.

Ah! After reading the thread and apprising myself of the question more fully, I now recognize you refer to downwind abeam engine cuts!

Depending on your plane's wingplan/glide characteristics, get going ricki-tick (hershy bars, etc), or plan it out accordingly. Slip (aggressively, if needed) if high. Dive for airspeed and turn immediately if low. Other's have said it... Aim at least 1/3 down runway.

Practice this thing whenever possible. It's 'ackshully' fun to practice and vastly increases your skills. I still practice them in jets on empty legs... typically as overhead breaks.

Good luck. We're all counting on you.

Do any boats have a higher resale value than when purchased? They seem like money pits, generally speaking. Like a very high end sports car. :)

Worth about twice what I paid for it.

Operating costs? Eh -- I'm lucky to see 1.3 MPG. Boat gas is well over $6/gal right now.

It sat for about three months trying to decide rebuild or replace with a serviceable or sell it. He decided to list it, and sold it as is with the blown engine for more than he bought the boat for in 2017.

Which is even more amazing, given it is a 1+ year wait to get motors right now.

Oh and I forgot to mention, once you’ve got the “keyholes to fly through” the wind is much easier to deal with.

Headwind? Omit dropping flaps. Or drop them slightly later. Big headwind? Round off the corners of your turn (use slightly less bank and start early).

But be scientific about it - you should fly through specific holes in space at a certain speed, flap setting, and altitude.

If you’re high, add flap or increase speed to burn energy faster.

If you’re low reduce flap or start turning sooner.
Gosh, I just graducated from a aerial appliance opporator skuül of college. I'm unfamiliar with them teknix! Then again, I've got a Master's Degree... in Levitation, so chain yerself to the dungeon wall, sit on yer hands, and don't touch nutin' but the flaps when asked, biatch.

This industry is so bass-ackwards right now.

Gosh, I just graducated from a aerial appliance opporator skuül of college. I'm unfamiliar with them teknix! Then again, I've got a Master's Degree... in Levitation, so chain yerself to the dungeon wall, sit on yer hands, and don't touch nutin' but the flaps when asked, biatch.

This industry is so bass-ackwards right now.
I’m sorry?

I think that plus my previous post was basically how I did it, and how I instructed it…. as far as I’m concerned was just trying to be helpful to a new fellow. Treating the flight like an instrument or working a really precise tool always served me well.

I’m sorry?

I think that plus my previous post was basically how I did it, and how I instructed it…. as far as I’m concerned was just trying to be helpful to a new fellow. Treating the flight like an instrument or working a really precise tool always served me well.
It's ok Pat. Just another troll.

Back