Positive trends

Where did you move to? Bryson City area or further south?

That’s my favorite part of the country, now I’m jealous. And sad.

We are just north of Franklin. Absolutely love it. So not excited to go back to work on Tuesday.

Last week I did two incredible hikes, both within a 30 min drive. Yesterday I had to take the wife to the airport really early. Decided to take the Blue Ridge Parkway home. Between Bryson City, Sylva, and Franklin we have 6 breweries near us.

Some pics from the last week.

4E55C029-7874-450E-8FFC-197AD517EB95.jpeg
9B7AD340-3ABE-4371-A5DB-44A15ECA71FF.jpeg
5BA70005-799B-415C-B323-9ED7CD63E79F.jpeg
29E393A2-E530-4788-9057-08497CB6F1DA.jpeg
0E630964-F94E-46CB-A035-DBDE61C30F43.jpeg

It is when you compare it to 86,000 in March. 500k was also on Thursday. Wish they still updated that page daily. They now make us wait for Fri/Sat/Sun to come on Monday which sucks.

Reached a bit over 544,000 over the weekend. It’s improving quite nicely. Of course we don’t have future booking data so all we can do at our level is watch this trailing indicator. If demand doesn’t get clipped significantly by the Second Wave specter we’ll hit 1M by the end of August.

And also to be clear, we don’t need it to go back to 2.6M to avoid furloughs. 2019 was an absolute banner year and most airlines ran on the ragged edge of manning for the summer last year. I don’t know what the nadir was for passenger/flight demand in 2019, but I have a feeling it was probably in the neighborhood of 1.5M or just a little over. If that’s the expectation for the winter holiday period or even next summer many companies can probably expect to avoid furloughs. Not all, since some companies are botching their response and crisis planning, but many.

Somebody will be along shortly to •e on my optimism, but I’m very encouraged by the returning demand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are just north of Franklin. Absolutely love it. So not excited to go back to work on Tuesday.

Last week I did two incredible hikes, both within a 30 min drive. Yesterday I had to take the wife to the airport really early. Decided to take the Blue Ridge Parkway home. Between Bryson City, Sylva, and Franklin we have 6 breweries near us.

View attachment 53971View attachment 53972View attachment 53973View attachment 53974View attachment 53975

We stopped at Innovation in Sylva the other week after finding out it was started by my cousins best friend. Really really cool area.

Damnit. My normal 20mi bike ride loop here has a total elevation change of....wait for it....162 feet.

There is so much goodness in that part of the state. I worked two summers near Brevard/Pisgah Forest (and spent a semester of high school at a boarding school there) and learned to kayak when I was 15 at the Nantahala Outdoor Center. I have to drive 4.5hrs to find topography now.

If my company keeps working from home, I may try to move back to that area. Ok probably try.

Reached a bit over 544,000 over the weekend. It’s improving quite nicely. Of course we don’t have future booking data so all we can do at our level is watch this trailing indicator. If demand doesn’t get clipped significantly by the Second Wave specter we’ll hit 1M by the end of August.
Paper napkin math shows an average weekly growth rate of about 23% since the bottom of the curve.

**__--IF--__** (emphasis added because people will come in and state the obvious that current rates are not predicative of market reactions to yet-to-occur future events), but -if- the current average growth holds, 1 million would be reached by 2nd week of July. Maybe that will happen, but just as a matter of managing expectations, I'll assume that it won't and be pleasantly surprised if it does.

And also to be clear, we don’t need it to go back to 2.6M to avoid furloughs. 2019 was an absolute banner year and most airlines ran on the ragged edge of manning for the summer last year. I don’t know what the nadir was for passenger/flight demand in 2019, but I have a feeling it was probably in the neighborhood of 1.5M or just a little over. If that’s the expectation for the winter holiday period or even next summer many companies can probably expect to avoid furloughs. Not all, since some companies are botching their response and crisis planning, but many.

Somebody will be along shortly to •e on my optimism, but I’m very encouraged by the returning demand.
Agreed. Many folks are getting caught up in the idea that we are not "recovered" until we reach 2019 numbers. We all want that, but our industry survival isn't dependent on 100% of 2019 numbers. I do wish that the airlines would grace us with that insider info about their respective break-even points.

Looking out 40 days via internal channels, AA bookings are quite a bit higher by week 3 of July than present numbers. On July 24 for example, the CLT hub has about 70% of it's normal daily flights scheduled with bookings averaging around 80-85% full.

Fingers crossed that we face no more curve balls.

View attachment 53971View attachment 53972View attachment 53973View attachment 53974View attachment 53975
Some beautiful area around there. I'm just on the south side of Knoxville. Lot of great places less than 30 minutes to go hike and enjoy the great outdoors.

We should all quit working and just live like this forever.

think that's the idea behind CHAZ
My favorite story so far from “CHAZ” is one guy complaining someone stole his laptop, cash, food and other sundries from his tent. One of the organizers responds back and says “think of it as an unplanned community donation to someone more deserving of it.”

Back to positives: I’ll get my landing currency back tomorrow. Also a positive: Chiropractors in Texas and Florida will have 200+ new patients as well.

Last edited:
My favorite story so far from “CHAZ” is one guy complaining someone stole his laptop, cash, food and other sundries from his tent. One of the organizers responds back and says “think of it as an unplanned community donation to someone more deserving of it.”

Back to positives: I’ll get my landing currency back tomorrow. Also a positive: Chiropractors in Texas and Florida will have 200+ new patients as well.
Ah the communist utopia....

Back